• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Changing a Tire on your dual axle MFI trailer

RumDiet

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Call Triple A?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've got bundled coverage through AAA and have had it for years now. Last year when my boat and trailer separated from my tow vehicle I called AAA and told them I didn't need a tow, just someone with a floor jack to help me put the trailer tongue back on the ball. Their response, we don't want to take on that liability. Find someone else. They didn't even refer me to anyone else. In Feb. this year, I got a flat and my spare was flat too. This happened at 5 at night. AAA started asking me how tall my boat was, they were thinking if they had to tow it they would need a special flat bed to keep the max height under 13' (to assure it would clear the overpasses). In both cases I ended up calling tow boat US, in both cases they took care of me quickly. I still have AAA but realize now that I can't rely on them, especially when it comes to problems with my boat or trailer.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

RumDiet

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's amazing! I was really kidding - its usually a lot quicker to "do-it-yourself" than waiting for AAA to show!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So I spruced up my trailer aid a little with a dremel, some bolts and hydro turf. I haven't tested this or the scissor jack from the tow vehicle yet but these are on my list of things to do, soon.

P4202767.JPG
P4202768.JPG

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Looks good @Ronnie I've been too busy fighting bad weather, coaching two soccer teams, and recovering from a nasty cold that led to an ear infection to get my boat summarized. This is one of the first items I'm going to look at once I get the jigsaw puzzle of storage items taken apart for summer use. I'll be seeing if my truck jack works and if not then will likely go with either the bottle jack, trailer aid or Rapid Jack.

p.s. @Ronnie you need to get an avatar ;)

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Reviving an old thread. I just tried the rapid jack I bought. Works darn good. It picked up the rear, fully inflated tire, about 2 inches off the ground.
Jack setup.jpgjack in use.jpg It stores real easy in the SUV storage area to. Jack stored.jpg

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Gym I like that Rapid Jack. It looks lighter and more compact than the one I have.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Looks pretty simple too...do you need to have someone tell you when to stop? Looks like it could roll right between the tires.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks pretty simple too...do you need to have someone tell you when to stop? Looks like it could roll right between the tires.
Actually my wife always tells me when to stop. ;) I did go a little too far the first time but it's no big deal, you just get out, reposition it and try again. I can do it easily now. Hmm, rereading this looks like it might end up in the NSFW section. It also fits well in the rear compartment. :hilarious:

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Gym I decided to go the same route as you. 20140606_193545[1].jpg I pulled out my factory GMC Yukon jack yukontirejack.jpg and it might have worked but the platform was so small and getting that lined up on the axle would have been very tricky. I'm surprised at how small it was and can't imagine lifting up my Yukon with it.

My only issue with the rapid jack is that you have to get the tire all the way to the top of the incline and it seemed a little precarious there. The first time I tried it, I went too far and the tire slammed down getting my neighbors attention. I forgot to take a picture of the the successful second attempt after my first attempt failed. Note that there is not enough room to put it in between the tires so if your changing a forward tire you would need to backup onto the rapid jack. It will be stored under the rear passenger bucket seat.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a "Jack in the Box" .
$_57.jpg

It comes with everything you need in a steel box that mounts to the trailer up front. That way I don't have to unload half the tow vehicle to get to the jack. I think I found mine extremely cheap somewhere....around $25 bucks if I recall...but those where 2005 dollars :oops:

You can get them pretty cheap ($32) on the eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/131185694190?lpid=82

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would be interested in that if they were to change the name to Charlie in the Box. Ever since Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer movie, I always felt I should support anything to do with Charlie in the Box. :smuggrin:

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That looks nice @jetboater4life . I like how you have the ability to adjust the height - to a certain extent.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@farrelltravis Thanks. You have to be a little careful with it because it can get caught on the fender slightly when backing off of it.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Roger that, good buddy

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Lifts my trailer frame up just enough to allow me to get my trailer jack down on an incline.
View attachment 8375
Looks so simple....I'm not sure how I missed the pic in the first post of how this works with a dual axle trailer. I kept thinking...so you roll the dead tire onto this....how the heck does that help! Now I get it!!! D'Oh! I have AAA, so my only decision is, do I get one and not bother waiting for AAA to handle it...

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I haven't used one of these, but I agree with you, @Julian , it does make it look very easy. I have been considering getting one or two to use for my 5th wheel. I would use it to level my 5th wheel.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The best thing @Julian and @farrelltravis is you don't have to get down on your knees to place a jack. You just loosen your lug nuts on the flat tire, bend over and put the rapid jack in front or behind the GOOD tire and drive up the jack slowly. I adjust my side view mirror downward so I can watch my progress up the jack.