• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Check your trailer bunk boards!!

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last season I was under the boat while it was on the trailer multiple times and always looked at the bottom of the bunks and they always looked good-n-solid. Well, this last weekend I launched the boat a checked them from the topside and was amazed at the shape they were in. 4FD230F5-BDE1-493B-AD4A-8B507C77F469.jpegThey felt like sponges and when I pushed on one it almost broke so I headed to the lumberyard and bought 3 new 2x6x10 pressure treated boards. Without overthinking it I just used my floor jack, a 4x4 and lifted each side of the boat and removed the old boards.099BB939-8C1F-47CA-8F45-42085F0AE61E.jpeg Upon inspection after removing the starboard front board I found a deep gouge in the gel coat. (Assuming it was from old lag that scraped the hull). BFABB933-158B-49C3-B2F3-1FD587694CD5.jpeg Made repairs to the gel coat and proceeded to finish getting the boards back on the trailer. The old carpet was in decent shape so I reused it and fasted it with 1-1/4” galvanized roofing nails to the new boards and installed with new lag bolts. In all the project took a couple hours.
After all of this I’m going to keep a closer eye on things even if they “seem” ok.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Good catch!

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Good advice @Babin Farms. I had a similar experience a few years ago with the trailer for my 1995 Chaparral. One of the bunks actually broke and I went through the same process as you. Was a bit easier though since the boat was in the water.

Not sure about you but I was surprised how rotten the boards were until I realized the original boards were not pressure treated. I guess the manufacturers are cutting costs anywhere they can…

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
THREE new 2x6s?? Talk about the 1%...

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure about you but I was surprised how rotten the boards were until I realized the original boards were not pressure treated. I guess the manufacturers are cutting costs anywhere they can…
I was very surprised how bad they were since the undersides looked so good.
After trailering to FL and back in March I guess it just goes to show these hulls can handle quite a bit of stress in small areas.

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
THREE new 2x6s?? Talk about the 1%...
Agree. @Babin Farms is bankin. Rollin with the big dogs, then braggin about his wealth on here. Multiple 2 x 6's, and treated as well.. Showoff. Lol

Last week I was walkin to the boat after parking the trailer and a trailer passed me and I could see the bunks bouncing. I said something to the owner and he had no idea. Looked like only the carpet was holding one of them together. Very spongy. You could squeeze water from it. I immediately checked mine as well.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Can't you use composite for the bunks? Just thinking about longevity. There's probably a good reason its not used?

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can't you use composite for the bunks? Just thinking about longevity. There's probably a good reason its not used?
Not as strong as wood, lots of flex. I’m sure you could find strong material but the treated lumber was pricey enough.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine were rotted away on my 2016 trailer, replaced last year when they were giving lumber away.
20200523_181604.jpg20200523_133225.jpg They use crap fir wood

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just to help anyone else, my bunks are all 2x6's the bunk length on my trailer are 8 foot in the front/outside and 5 feet in the back/inside. Sounds like different models/years have different sizes. When in doubt, measure, I did and almost missed it!

Sx240

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What year is the trailer it’s crappy the manufacturer would use cheap wood good catch I wouldn’t have thought of Checking the bunk boards as always great information on this site

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Babin Farms hit the nail on the head, flex and lack of support. The support of plastic wood MIGHT be close if you bumped it up to 4x6, but given the span between the brackets, it would still be a questionable thing to use composite vs pressure treated

Can't remember if it was @Bruce or someone else, but using longer boards helps to engage the trailer when pulling the boat out, I think 10' boards were used for the example I'm thinking of, and it was a help to loading the boat.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just to help anyone else, my bunks are all 2x6's the bunk length on my trailer are 8 foot in the front/outside and 5 feet in the back/inside. Sounds like different models/years have different sizes. When in doubt, measure, I did and almost missed it!
Any recommendations for the carpet size and location to purchase

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Unless you have a West marine or other like store you are probably going to have to go online to purchase.

Sx240

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think sail rite sells carpet for bunk boards I just recently bought canvas from them only took 3 days to get

jsg73

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Most all trailer manufacturers use untreated wood and have for as long as I can recall (1986).

Bass pro/Cabelas sell bunk carpet but you can also look for carpet remnants locally.

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just replaced mine on my 2016 shorelander (4th set, 4 different boats). As @Babin Farms mentioned the CE Smith is good stuff, this is the first time I've gotten specific "bunk carpet" and I like it! Ordered 3- 11" x 12' rolls (2-8ft and 2-5 ft bunks) they came the next day. Previous bunks I just used the I/O carpet from Home Depot. Carpet was the most expensive at $100 and the pressure treated 2 x 6's were $20. I was a little surprised at the minimal attachment to the brackets though, cheap wood screws, last set I changed were 1.25" SS lag bolts. I upgraded the screws to 2.5" deck screws.

Was also surprised at how much quieter the trailer is now!:oops:

1628183685508.png

Rodder77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Last time I changed bunks (for a previous boat a seadoo 230 SE), I used preassure treated 2 x 6 lumber and then 3 coats of deck stain/waterproofer, then the bunk carpet, monel staples, galvanized lag screws and epoxy on the lag screws to keep as much moister off of them, and water intrusion around them as possible - maybe overkill...but worked like a charm for loggevity and not much more cost/labor.