• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chicago Air & Water show - Aug 16, 2015

BryanW

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I mean towing to Calumet from my house is only 10 minutes longer than towing to Worth.
I was doing a poor job of trying to be funny... I was thinking that the trip from the Worth ramp would have to be at least 30 mins longer than the open water, but having never been that route I wouldn't know. I'd do the lake, I'm guessing more fun to navigate than the Cal Sag.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
.....and it is slow going getting from Worth to the lake once on the water. It will add at least 1 1/2 hrs each way.

Justin G.

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Regrettably we will not be able to make for this. Andrea and the new baby have a date for next Wednesday to see each other for the first time and she is worried about being stuck out on the lake and going into labor. I hope all that go have a great time and next year for sure. We have seen the show from shore many of times but it must be amazing from the water.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Everyone- You can use the below link to find information on all the launches around Lake Michigan. We are probably launching at Calumet Harbor. It is expensive to launch but I bet will will spend just as much money or more on the long trip down the Cal Sag canal and we will save a lot of time.

http://www.chicagoparkdistrictparking.com/boat-launch/

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Now that I am looking at the other launch locations, there are other ones that are even closer. I have options.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Great link @OperationROL
$27 though? Ouch. But like you said it depends on if you want to be on the river. My parents are coming so I don't know if they want to see chicago or just the air show.
Either way, getting back is not going to be fun. I hope your appointment for afterwardsiisn't crucial!

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I haven't been on Lake Michigan before with the Yamaha. Where do you go online to find weather and lake conditions? My family loves the boat but would probably not enjoy a long wavy day....

E

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Just start googling lake michigan weather report.
I actually downloaded an app that works pretty well.
I will for sure be posting what it statesn

BryanW

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I haven't been on Lake Michigan before with the Yamaha. Where do you go online to find weather and lake conditions? My family loves the boat but would probably not enjoy a long wavy day....

E
You will be fine. We probably will not go out if the weather is not great, either. It is no fun to be banged around constantly. With that said, as of right now, the forecast shows a perfect day and based on the winds the water should be GLASS.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

BryanW

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length

BryanW

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Yep, I'm orignally from the area, and would say close to half my water time is out of the Portage, IN ramp. It's about 2.5 hours driveway to ramp for me, and is never as congested, or surprising churned up from the hundreds of boat on the small reservoirs we have access to.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yep, I'm orignally from the area, and would say close to half my water time is out of the Portage, IN ramp. It's about 2.5 hours driveway to ramp for me, and is never as congested, or surprising churned up from the hundreds of boat on the small reservoirs we have access to.
Cool, I will be sure to add you to my list of folks to inform about outings like this. I have been adding everyone to my first post above and will use this list to inform people on such happenings.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
BryanW, post: 122719, member: 2275"]Yep, I'm orignally from the area, and would say close to half my water time is out of the Portage, IN ramp. It's about 2.5 hours driveway to ramp for me, and is never as congested, or surprising churned up from the hundreds of boat on the small reservoirs we have access to.
You should let us know when u go out! We do about half our boating out portage and I agree it's nice. 40 minutes for us from getting kids in truck to boat in the water. Head over to warm water discharge and good to go.
I have never been to the east chicago ramp.
Is it nice and how much is it?
I didn't spot that info on the website.

Last edited by a moderator:

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Speedling - I fixed your post to make the quote appear correctly.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
you midwesterners have all the fun :(

BryanW

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
From top to bottom on the picture. Hammond - 2 lane ramp - $20 up to double axle, Whiting - 4 lane ramp - Couldn't find rates but the ramp looks new , East Chicago - 4+ lane ramp - $15 under 27' includes parking (lower right side of link page)NW Indiana Marina's with launch ramps.jpg

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
The hammond place doesn't look too bad. I could do that possibly. It shows about 18 miles if I follow the coastline to the middle of the area where the air show will be. So that should take about 40 minutes right? Certainly better on gas than all through the rivers etc. Lets just hope that the weather stays good for us!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Screenshot_2015-08-14-04-30-07.png