• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clean out plug

Hockeyguy1960

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
On my Yamaha AR192 last winter I had the clean out plug refurbished here in Ga…I’ve noticed some water in there when taking boat for some work done elsewhere…is this normal? Should I keep that plug out when boat is not running or out on the trailer? I’m afraid if I take it out I won’t get it back in correctly but since it went in pretty smoothly after refurbishing idk if I want to pull it out again! Boat rpm is fine…no issues

It is recommended to remove the clean out plug when the boat is out of the water. The plug can swell overtime if not dried out and stick. To make putting in and taking out easier, put some silicone spray or swimming pool pump o-ring grease on the plug. It makes a big difference with little friction in the socket/tube and helps to seat and seal the plug.

Edit: I am a hockey guy too, from 60.

Last edited:
Ok I’ll pull it out since it’s only been in there a couple of months…I do have some silicone spray I was told Vaseline works just as well but I’ll pick up some pool ring grease! Thx! So when I unlock it I guess I just pull on that tab…it feels like it might be pressure in there don’t want it to burst up… idk I’ll give it a good tug thx!

Last edited:
It is recommended to remove the clean out plug when the boat is out of the water. The plug can swell overtime if not dried out and stick. To make putting in and taking out easier, put some silicone spray or swimming pool pump o-ring grease on the plug. It makes a big difference with little friction in the socket/tube and helps to seat and seal the plug.

Edit: I am a hockey guy too, from 60.
Hockey guy huh? I’m trying to keep playing at my old age!

I’m recovering from shoulder and ribs right now doing some boating but plan on skating soon lol

Yep, been playing since early 70's. Although not much lately as I dislocated my shoulder in a game twice 20 years ago. Took months to heal. But that injury pays me back in spades as it reminds me it is still there from time to time. Pond hockey now.

Wow twice in one game? I’m suffering from similar except mine is separated like 4 weeks ago in a game where I hit a rut and slammed into the boards full speed…got banged up ribs too..funny I had a few sprains and rotater tear but never like this…I just retired so I’ll probably just be doing pick up or roller now lol…I played on the pond in Mass in 68 or 69 til I moved to Georgia in 73!

I just use water to lubricate the plugs. I keep a bottle of water in the rear cup holder for that reason. So far so good. Does anyone know if the pool lubricant protects the gasket from rotting? If so, I can see going that route.

I spray mine with silicone a few times a season. I also remove them, shake the water out after every use and leave them out till the next boat outing. I believe I read in the manual, Yamaha recommends having the plugs installed will trailering.

I spray mine with silicone a few times a season. I also remove them, shake the water out after every use and leave them out till the next boat outing. I believe I read in the manual, Yamaha recommends having the plugs installed will trailering.
Yep, spot on!. Spray with yamalube or another type of silicon spray every so often, shake water out and leave out until next outing. Put in while trailering, good to go

Dielectric grease or bees wax won't harm the seals , also add an EZ lock so you don't have to worry about a plug blowout.

Do you guys know why should we installes the plug when trailering ???

Based on many years of reading the forums it is obvious , during the launching confusion you can forget to put it in and then when you try to get going you can't figure out why the boat is not moving forward correctly as well as all the water you are forcing into the hull . many years ago there was a common sticker on the dash IS THE PLUG IN ? now it was for a different plug but for the same reason people forget .

Maybe to keep the empty holes from closing in or something. Yamaha manual recommends so I just do it, ?

Based on many years of reading the forums it is obvious , during the launching confusion you can forget to put it in and then when you try to get going you can't figure out why the boat is not moving forward correctly as well as all the water you are forcing into the hull . many years ago there was a common sticker on the dash IS THE PLUG IN ? now it was for a different plug but for the same reason people forget .
Good it make sense !
the reason i was asking is i am about to put a 2010 AR240 on trade and the plug are off right now to prevent from getting stuck.
I was wondering if i had to put them on for my last trailering.

Do you guys know if the new plug design the screw in (MY 2017+) is less prone of getting stuck ?

i heard is a safer mechanism

Back