• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clean out plug

Do you guys know if the new plug design the screw in (MY 2017+) is less prone of getting stuck ?

i heard is a safer mechanism
There have been some members who's twist out plugs have gotten stuck, but in my opinion....far fewer. The newer design works better - but no way to make them backwards compatible.

Last edited:
The new design is much less prone to accidentally leaving your boat unexpectedly. That's an improvement. But if that is a concern, for your older boat, you can add EZ Locks and they will not blow out again.

The new design is much less prone to accidentally leaving your boat unexpectedly. That's an improvement. But if that is a concern, for your older boat, you can add EZ Locks and they will not blow out again.
I already add them !
buy that Boat is going when the new one is arriving

I spray mine with silicone a few times a season. I also remove them, shake the water out after every use and leave them out till the next boat outing. I believe I read in the manual, Yamaha recommends having the plugs installed will trailering.
Are you talking about the transom plugs? Or the pull out plug?

All 3 generations of Yamaha clean out plugs / manhole covers use O rings to make the magic happen. The 1st and 3rd generation use a screw mechanism for the O ring to seat, the 2nd uses a tab locking mechanism. O rings require lubrication maintence to avoid failure, swelling, or seizure. The boats’ manual provides guidance on this, as well as numerous threads on this forum which describe a bunch of ways to lubricate, seal / lock, and unstick the clean out plugs. The various plastic small drain plugs between hull parts and the drink all have O rings as well, and are interchangeable when necessary.

I lubricate the boat O rings with a pool lube called Lubegard Zer0. This lube lasts about a month or so when wet slipped, and has some cleaning properties as well. I have had the clean out plug on my boat both become sealed shut as well as swell to the point where it could not be inserted back in the port while on the water over the years. I have used this lubricant applied to the outside edge of the dry top of the seized plug on the water to unseize the plug and directly to the swollen O ring on the plug to get it back in the port. I find it, um, convenient to have a bottle of this stuff in my in boat toolbox.

Last edited:
Back