• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clean-Out Port Reseal

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Anyone replace the seals on the clean-out ports? Mine always seem to get massive bypass, so I’m thinking of replacing them. Kits are $57 x2
TIA

Following…. Just wondering if anyone has replaced their clean out seals, specifically on a new boat. Seeing as how a lot of water are bypassing mine as well.

How do you know it is bypassing? the drain in the hatch that goes outside does not have a valve. So all you really need to is have a bit of wave action or stop and water flows up through and gets into your clean out ports. Mine are always full at the end of the day but I know that nothing is gettting past the seals.

@RobbieO I would doubt that you are getting much if any bypass.

I’ve actually tested mine, had my wife drive the boat at speed, had the rear clean out hatch open (with the safety switch taped down), and watched water bypass the seal and fill the tubes.
I plan on adding the JBP riser to the access port, and reseal that as well as the main tray itself, which will hopefully stop the water from getting into the bilge. But ultimately I’d like to fix the problem itself, the water getting by the clean out ports.

Interesting. I have done the same test and there is no blow by, just water coming up the tube. I also lube my seals as well. In my test I put my small remote camera in the ports one at a time and drove around so I could see where the water was geting in. also used food coloring to see how much of that was leaking into the bilge before and after I sealed the bilge.

Last edited:
It seems like others have had the same issues, maybe Yamaha had a bad batch of seals!…. LoL!.. I just don’t want to spend $100+ on replacing both seals and still have the same issue.
I guess I could take it to the dealership and warranty the issue, it’s just where I live and where I store the boat is 5 hours apart. I informed them about it, but they want to water test it themselves, which will require me leaving the boat with them…

If water is getting by, I wouldn't worry about it. Just seal up the hatch as we all do, and any excess water will go out the drain tube. You could try replacing the seals.

That’s true, I’ll probably not worry too much about it…. It really only bypasses the seals when I’m going approximately 40mph plus. I just need to reseal everything, seeing as how a lot of water is getting into the boat/bilge. Then maybe later replace the seal on the worst port (Port side) and see if it fixes it.

How do you know it is bypassing? the drain in the hatch that goes outside does not have a valve. So all you really need to is have a bit of wave action or stop and water flows up through and gets into your clean out ports. Mine are always full at the end of the day but I know that nothing is gettting past the seals.

@RobbieO I would doubt that you are getting much if any bypass.
I installed a check valve in mine last year as recommended by @drewkaree. Didn’t help. Also, I have NEVER had any water come over the platform. Just me and the wifey cruising. No towables.

Anyone replace the seals on the clean-out ports? Mine always seem to get massive bypass, so I’m thinking of replacing them. Kits are $57 x2
TIA

Did you seal your cleanout tray?

I can't recall if you mentioned doing that in previous threads, but the only way water should make it to the bilge after passing your plugs is through the tray, hatch, or drain.

The riser for the hatch is a tremendous help, and the drain seems to be able to handle removing blow-by, so that would seem like the tray itself, or the rubber tubes aren't sealed.

If you've removed the tray for any reason, did you re-silicone the rubber tubes to the tray? The clamps can "oval" everything, and possibly cause a gap in the rubber as well, if that happens.

So frustrating dealing with the water intrusions

Did you seal your cleanout tray?

I can't recall if you mentioned doing that in previous threads, but the only way water should make it to the bilge after passing your plugs is through the tray, hatch, or drain.

The riser for the hatch is a tremendous help, and the drain seems to be able to handle removing blow-by, so that would seem like the tray itself, or the rubber tubes aren't sealed.

If you've removed the tray for any reason, did you re-silicone the rubber tubes to the tray? The clamps can "oval" everything, and possibly cause a gap in the rubber as well, if that happens.

So frustrating dealing with the water intrusions
I haven't got any water into my bilge. In fact, I have never even had a drop of water come out of the plug at the end of my trips. I'm confident my boat is pretty much watertight on the lower half. I installed the riser, and sealed around the access cover. The only water I take on is in the ports. Sometimes they are both full, sometimes one is full, the other is half full. Those seals are lip seals, which means the more pressure applied, the tighter they should seal. Just like lips seals in a automatic transmission clutch pack. I inspect, clean, and lube my seals a few times during the season. Many owners seem to have this problem, so maybe its normal. I was thinking of ordering the kits and see if the new seals have been upgraded. Probably not.

If anyone buys a new plug and that fixes this issue let me know. I sealed my tray top real good (I was having water raining into the stern of my boat and bilge pumping it out). I got out last weekend and cruised around most of the day with no water in the bilge thus far.

Back