• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra Venom FANGS now available

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger for a pair of Cobras w/FANGS. I think I waited long enough! In my old 190 the Ultimates w/FANGS were hands down the best of all the easy performance mods. The new design of my 240 calls for the Magnums w/FANGS and the pairing rod.

The new boats with keel have some tremendous advantages -- and some that I was not aware of until the Bimini 2016 trip. Basically, those will cut rather than slap the stern into the waves; and steer pretty darn strait doing it, too. It comes at a price -- can't whip them around anymore into slide turns. In my experience, they are particularly sluggish to turn when slowing down and loosing thrust. Sometimes - that is the situation when you need your steering the most! That can be scary if you are in need of a fast turn while also slowing the boat down.

With the new keel-equipped boats I would ONLY consider a steering aid that works at speed. My new 24fter can be operated in reverse at any forward speed, which has saved my butt few times navigating my narrow river. But I can still benefit tremendously from a competent steering aid that works at speed (on plane). Not to mention the FANGS should help the reverse, too. I can not understand why anyone would want it any other way. I guess with the older flat-bottomed boats I can see the allure of slide turns, but that's different.

So - thank God for @Cobra Jet Steering LLC and his ingenious and original inventions, and his ability to keep up and evolve the products to work seamlessly with the new factory redesigns.

Jeff - email sent. This will be a perfect X-mas gift to myself this year! :D

--

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Very wise decision, you said the following after using your new 2016 articulating keel boat.

"The new boats with keel have some tremendous advantages -- and some that I was not aware of until the Bimini 2016 trip. Basically, those will cut rather than slap the stern into the waves; and steer pretty darn strait doing it, too. It comes at a price -- can't whip them around anymore into slide turns. In my experience, they are particularly sluggish to turn when slowing down and loosing thrust. Sometimes - that is the situation when you need your steering the most! That can be scary if you are in need of a fast turn while also slowing the boat down."

My reply to that is ,The likely cause for this different handling is due to the large keel down the center of the hull making the hull want to track straight and resist turning like the earlier boats do.
The other reason is the rack and pinion steering requires more input or travel to get the nozzles to turn I believe it is approximately twice the input as they geared it down for easier turning due to the rudder .

You also stated your feeling about the add on steering requirements for you personally.

"With the new keel-equipped boats I would ONLY consider a steering aid that works at speed. My new 24fter can be operated in reverse at any forward speed, which has saved my butt few times navigating my narrow river. But I can still benefit tremendously from a competent steering aid that works at speed (on plane). Not to mention the FANGS should help the reverse, too. I can not understand why anyone would want it any other way. I guess with the older flat-bottomed boats I can see the allure of slide turns, but that's different."

My reply to that is, extra steering control at speed is needed more for the keel resistance and the hull shape, both make the boat track straight at speed so more input to change direction is needed thus the added fins with this system and the fact that they stay in the water at all speeds to help turn the boat, and they assist at slow speed and reverse.
The fangs not only help with reverse by directing the reverse thrust further under the boat they also do something very important for your steering cables, and nozzles. They actually produce power steering and assist the nozzles in turning at speed by capturing the water in front of the nozzle pivot point and using it to turn the steering for you thus reducing the resistance in the helm and steering cable system.
Along that line you also mentioned the second tie rod , this is essential for balancing out the work load of the steering system and equalizing the load to both nozzles plus steering cables and adding a backup if you did loose a cable as each nozzle now turns the center rudder , just imagine how that would be on a Bimini trip or a family outing for that matter. This system was designed specifically for the twin engine boats with the articulating keel.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very wise decision, you said the following after using your new 2016 articulating keel boat.

"The new boats with keel have some tremendous advantages -- and some that I was not aware of until the Bimini 2016 trip. Basically, those will cut rather than slap the stern into the waves; and steer pretty darn strait doing it, too. It comes at a price -- can't whip them around anymore into slide turns. In my experience, they are particularly sluggish to turn when slowing down and loosing thrust. Sometimes - that is the situation when you need your steering the most! That can be scary if you are in need of a fast turn while also slowing the boat down."

My reply to that is ,The likely cause for this different handling is due to the large keel down the center of the hull making the hull want to track straight and resist turning like the earlier boats do.
The other reason is the rack and pinion steering requires more input or travel to get the nozzles to turn I believe it is approximately twice the input as they geared it down for easier turning due to the rudder .

You also stated your feeling about the add on steering requirements for you personally.

"With the new keel-equipped boats I would ONLY consider a steering aid that works at speed. My new 24fter can be operated in reverse at any forward speed, which has saved my butt few times navigating my narrow river. But I can still benefit tremendously from a competent steering aid that works at speed (on plane). Not to mention the FANGS should help the reverse, too. I can not understand why anyone would want it any other way. I guess with the older flat-bottomed boats I can see the allure of slide turns, but that's different."

My reply to that is, extra steering control at speed is needed more for the keel resistance and the hull shape, both make the boat track straight at speed so more input to change direction is needed thus the added fins with this system and the fact that they stay in the water at all speeds to help turn the boat, and they assist at slow speed and reverse.
The fangs not only help with reverse by directing the reverse thrust further under the boat they also do something very important for your steering cables, and nozzles. They actually produce power steering and assist the nozzles in turning at speed by capturing the water in front of the nozzle pivot point and using it to turn the steering for you thus reducing the resistance in the helm and steering cable system.
Along that line you also mentioned the second tie rod , this is essential for balancing out the work load of the steering system and equalizing the load to both nozzles plus steering cables and adding a backup if you did loose a cable as each nozzle now turns the center rudder , just imagine how that would be on a Bimini trip or a family outing for that matter. This system was designed specifically for the twin engine boats with the articulating keel.
I think you pretty much nailed it. Similarly, it was interesting to read a great new post by @Micah Thompson comparing new Yamahas with Chaps:
I also tested the Yamahas, which first got me looking at the Jet drives, and honestly, for ME, it left me cold and unimpressed handling wise. As a very experienced boater it felt like they had taken it TOO extreme on tracking with that deep keel, it felt literally glued to the water, way too tight. Perfect for a new boater or a day out with the family, but to me the Vortex felt much more like a performance stern-drive, a bit looser, much more like what I'm used to.
I must say the new boats with keel do track like riding on rails, which is pretty awesome to ME. But -- I also feel there is some need to boost steering response -- when on plane -- particularly with a boat slowing down.

And the reverse is lousy, lots of room for improvement there.

--

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thank you Tony, I have always offered free installation of my products if the customer can bring the boat to me or in the case of the 4 tec steering I also offer free installation of the fins on the nozzles if they just ship me the nozzles. Using flat rete boxes via the post office the shipping cost is very reasonable.
One thing I want to emphasize is steering systems are not all the same!!! Most other systems do one thing and only one thing, you get what you get, if it doesn't do what you need you face a decision , deal with it or go buy another system.
This is why I always say do your homework, do not make a decision based on price, even If my price is similar or in most cases lower buy a system based on the features and benefits that will produce the effect you need to enhance your boats capabilities to allow you to enjoy your boat the way you intended when you purchased it .
The Ultimate system has proven itself year after year. The Magnum A K system has rapidly become a proven system for the new articulating keel 21 and 24 foot boats.
Even the most basic systems I make like the 4 tec steering provide the improvements needed in the handling both high speed and slow speed while taking into account the boats particular design .
My patented steering systems are designed to do more than just slow speed assistance " unless that's all you what" in this case the ULTIMATE system offered him slow speed, high speed, off power, adjustable effect and the ability to add the fangs, witch he did .
I also installed the E Z locks on his clean out plugs.
One thing that has always made me smile is reading that the wives or kids now enjoy driving the boat, to me this is huge because it makes it something that the family can now enjoy even more as they share the drivers seat, it goes from being a passenger to being a hands on participant.
Although the down side is that it can prove to be more expensive at the pump since the boat seems to get used a lot more.

Last edited:

Tony Jarvis

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you Toni, I have always offered free installation of my products if the customer can bring the boat to me or in the case of the 4 tec steering I also offer free installation of the fins on the nozzles if they just ship me the nozzles. Using flat rete boxes via the post office the shipping cost is very reasonable.
One thing I want to emphasize is steering systems are not all the same!!! Most other systems do one thing and only one thing, you get what you get, if it doesn't do what you need you face a decision , deal with it or go buy another system.
This is why I always say do your homework, do not make a decision based on price, even If my price is similar or in most cases lower buy a system based on the features and benefits that will produce the effect you need to enhance your boats capabilities to allow you to enjoy your boat the way you intended when you purchased it .
The Ultimate system has proven itself year after year. The Magnum A K system has rapidly become a proven system for the new articulating keel 21 and 24 foot boats.
Even the most basic systems I make like the 4 tec steering provide the improvements needed in the handling both high speed and slow speed while taking into account the boats particular design .
My patented steering systems are designed to do more than just slow speed assistance " unless that's all you what" in this case the ULTIMATE system offered him slow speed, high speed, off power, adjustable effect and the ability to add the fangs, witch he did .
I also installed the E Z locks on his clean out plugs.
One thing that has always made me smile is reading that the wives or kids now enjoy driving the boat, to me this is huge because it makes it something that the family can now enjoy even more as they share the drivers seat, it goes from being a passenger to being a hands on participant.
Although the down side is that it can prove to be more expensive at the pump since the boat seems to get used a lot more.
Tony lol

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
oops sorry all fixed

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ok so during the busy season people asked me if I was going to do a special on my Ultimate steering since I was offering a discount on the new fangs.
I said I would do one when the slow season came around.
I was recently down to only a hand full of the fangs for the Ultimate steering and I was worried about running out of them again.
Now the good news, I just completed 40 more sets of the fangs and I have the inventory to support a sale on the Ultimate steering systems.
These are the most versatile patented steering systems you can put on your boat , These were designed to last and perform to your desired level of influence.
The patented adjustments allow you to choose the amount of steering they provide, so if you want your boat to handle better at all speeds slow and idle to top speeds, to handle like a sports car on a dry road, for better control at speed for water sports or just for a more comfortable feel . We realized years ago that the jet boats were fast becoming a family boat and more people were coming to this type of boat.
Over 15 years of making jet propelled watercraft handle like never before, you can even steer the boat while rapidly decelerating to avoid a collision, and in off power situations.
Our experience also taught us that making the steering adaptable to different users and various size boats was a BIG PLUS!!!
The Ultimate steering system features our patented multi function actuator that allows for you to set it in the UP position to raise your fins at planning speed if you desire or to set the fins to remain down at speed , It also allows you get to choose the depth and therefore the amount of influence they provide, with the ability to make changes if you desire, eliminating the need to purchase a different system if your needs change.
The fins are actually held down at speed by utilizing the thrust of the pump passing over the top of the actuator, a spring is added for backup in the event the engine stalls and for operating in reverse since the rear nozzle opening is closed in that position.
The same patented actuator can be set to capture the thrust to raise the fins at speed where the spring pulls the fins down for assisting with slow speed handling or off power handling should the engine turn off unexpectedly. And we never need to expose the actuator to the flow of water under the nozzle.
Our side force stabilizer was specifically designed to avoid having any cross bars or tie bars placed between the fins below the nozzle in the direct path of the water between the fins that could collect weeds or snag branches and damage the steering etc . In either setting the fins are NEVER " LOCKED DOWN " so if someone managed to strike a fixed object with a fin it would just flip up .
If you want a system that was designed to handle it's job without being destroyed during use and ruining you day on the water think about it, If the actuator ripped out from between the fins your day is over and now you need to get it repaired. How long will that take?
I actually make systems that were designed to be sacrificed in a collision, heck my original fins did that to save the pump and nozzle even my Magnum and Magnum A K systems have that in the event of a serious impact, But they still don't have flat or round bars positioned below the nozzle. So I just do not see that happening on my systems very often if at all.
We also carefully designed the actuator to stay away from the area below the nozzle between the fins to avoid producing any unwanted water spraying up behind the boat. And we paid close attention to unwanted oscillation caused by the system so we never had that either.
There are so many people on this web site that are using this system I would encourage you to ask members of this site who own similar boats how they like it.
I have always relied on feedback from real customers to promote my steering systems.
The system is actually easy to install and use , easy enough so that some members here have said it's so easy , even a caveman can do it.
I must say I believe the people here are certainly capable of operating a system as simple as mine, It reminds me of the saying "set it and forget it!"
I do my designs based on the K. I. S. S. principal , I make every effort to avoid over engineering.
I am the proud "sole owner" of 3 US patents , all pertaining to jet boat steering with a fourth one pending in the same category .
And let us not forget the Ultimate system is compatible with the fangs so you can upgrade if you so desire, It appears those are a big hit with the Admirals of the boat and I hear a lot from people who like the fangs for guest operators and teaching the kids to drive.
Now let us touch on the warranty, I strongly suggest you read warranties offered by others, we have all learned that lesson.

The law provides for implied warranties if they forgot a part, they owe it to you, if you get a defective part they owe you a replacement regardless of any written warranty. And the implied warranty also covers claims , if they claim it does or does not do something it needs to be accurate.
So we all have that. My warranty is on my web page it is called the 49 dollar repair or replace warranty, an example is if you accidently back your boat into a wall and damage your system you return it to me and as long as I am still making that system I will repair or replace the damaged parts of that unit for 49 dollars or less plus postage. Excluding intentional damage obviously! That is on ALL my systems by the way. And the nice part is you ONLY pay if you need it not incase you need it.
I also have the 30 day money back guarantee, not store credit, money back.
I do not cover return shipping because I pay the original shipping in the U S A Although most flat rate priority mail is very inexpensive.
So here is my sale price offer on the Ultimate systems not valid with other offers and subject to end with 12 hour notice or while supplies last.
The fangs will be 45 dollars for a single engine and 51 for a twin engine set only when ordered with the ULTIMATE STEERING SYSTEM !
Remember the twinset has one fang per nozzle and 4 locking tabs.
The Ultimate system will be $139 single and $278 for twin sets with free shipping in the U S A and you can still get the e z locks at the combo price of $26.50 for two or 14.95 for a single lock added to your order. Please place your order directly with me in an email to jeff@cobrajetsteering.com or in a PM on this web page
This is not a group buy, no guessing or waiting to see what price you pay, you must be a member of this web site to participate the Ultimate system will fit all Yamaha jet boats with the exception of the 21 and 24 foot articulating keel boats.
I have a very special system for those applications called the Magnum A K system I also have special fangs for those systems, I have maintained the introductory price for the A K system at 324.25 that includes the extra tie rod and all the hardware you need plus an extra 39 dollars for the fangs, I don't want to leave you folks out so I am keeping the same low price for the system and I will throw in the fangs FREE during this sale.
Oh and the 4 tec people can also take advantage of the sale I posted on your sections All I need to tell you folks is it really does work for your boats just ask people who have them. https://jetboaters.net/threads/4-tec-steering-info.11702/

Compatibility
The Ultimate system is compatible with the 19 foot boats including the newer models with the keel however the fangs are not designed for those 19 foot keel boats . Just a heads up on that!
You will also need to provide me with model and year of your boat and the state you are shipping this to when you place the order.
If you need more info on any of my products visit my web page www.cobrajetsteering.com or my facebook page just search for cobra jet steering on the facebook . Remember Cobra jet steering puts you in control of your jet boat, The ULTIMATE SYSTEM puts YOU in CONTROL of the STEERING !

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Jeff, I purchased the "ultimate" fins in July 2015.

I'd like a pair of fangs, is that still $85. ? I checked and didn't see anything on the website.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
To date 6 people have taken advantage of this sale, remember I have 15 years experience making jet boats steer and transforming them into a more practical, more versatile and much more user friendly boat that just puts a smile on your face .
If you have any questions or misunderstandings about any particular system or feature please feel free to ask me directly. Remember the testimonials you read are real and the systems are time tested, even the Magnum A K system has been out for over a year. There are many people on this site who have this system on their boat.
The fangs have been out since spring and are very inexpensive to add to your system. The Ultimate steering has been out for several years and it is obviously my most popular steering since it does so many things in a single system and it is also upgradable with the fangs.
This is not a group buy, those were actually started on the old site to help support that web page, part of the money from the sale went to the page owner, this is a direct from the manufacturer to you sale.
So take advantage of this and if you feel that you really need to, I bet any of the people here who have the systems will be happy to give you their feedback. Your boat has a lot of untapped potential and amazing capabilities that you are not taking full advantage of unless you have my steering system added to it. Get the fun factor up to it's full potential and save some money during this end of year sale.