• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cold Air Intake Mounting

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Drewkaree, that brings up another question. Where do our boats draw their air from? What is the path it has to travel to make it to the engine compartment and what we can do to improve it.
Fresh air circulates into the engine compartment through vents under the back rest on the swim platform.

FireFighterHill

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone tried directing this air more directly into the intake to help get cooler. cleaner, denser air into the engine?

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Anyone tried directing this air more directly into the intake to help get cooler. cleaner, denser air into the engine?
A couple members have routed the CAI to the back of the engine compartment over the fresh air intake.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
The stock box looks pretty restrictive so I thought it was worth a shot. Still don’t regret it though because it opened up a ton of space in the engine compartment and also makes it much easier to reach the oil filter. It’s crazy how much space the stock air filter takes up.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Waste of money if you ask me. I've done lots of dyno tests and CAIs are usually worth nothing and many times worse than stock. Adding an exposed snorkel to pull high pressure air won't even make a noticable difference on a boat.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It’s not a cold air intake if you suck in hot air from the engine compartment.
From the guys that sell intakes for 100s of different vehicles. That's total bs. I'll bet they did the first dyno with a heat soaked vehicle, closed hood and no dyno fan. Then they cool the engine for 2+hr with multiple fans and throw a bag of ice on the intake. I made 30hp with a bag of ice on a blower for 15 minutes with no other changes. The customer wanted 600, and we got 602 with the ice. It'll never happen in the real world, but he got the 600 dyno sheet he wanted.

sleepybear723

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
From the guys that sell intakes for 100s of different vehicles. That's total bs. I'll bet they did the first dyno with a heat soaked vehicle, closed hood and no dyno fan. Then they cool the engine for 2+hr with multiple fans and throw a bag of ice on the intake. I made 30hp with a bag of ice on a blower for 15 minutes with no other changes. The customer wanted 600, and we got 602 with the ice. It'll never happen in the real world, but he got the 600 dyno sheet he wanted.
I guess you don't know who Mr. Banks is. It's not total BS, it's engineering. I'd explain it to you, but I bet you're too stupid to understand.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd explain it to you, but I bet you're too stupid to understand.
Nice intro. I, for one, am sold with such stunning logic as this. Where do I sign up for your newsletter?

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess you don't know who Mr. Banks is. It's not total BS, it's engineering. I'd explain it to you, but I bet you're too stupid to understand.
Lol, I've met him at sema. I ran a dyno shop for 5 years and tuned cars for 15 years. He's a great marketing guy! They make some cool stuff, but this is 96% marketing and 4% truth. I can cook dyno sheets with the best of them. You took the bait and swallowed the trouble hook. I have some turbonators for sale if you want to make things really fast.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I got the filter that doubles as flame arrestor since I was planning on doing ribbon delete but decided not to after discovering it needs to be cut out on my engine. I installed it anyways as it is USCG approved. It seems quite a lot less restrictive since I can see through it but not sure if that is an issue or not?

Attachments

Evanfspencer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I got the filter that doubles as flame arrestor since I was planning on doing ribbon delete but decided not to after discovering it needs to be cut out on my engine. I installed it anyways as it is USCG approved. It seems quite a lot less restrictive since I can see through it but not sure if that is an issue or not?
What is the correct part number for the flame arrestor K&N filter?

I purchased and just received part # 59-2040 and it seems smaller than I expected. Is this the right one or is there another one?

This is the one I got: Amazon.com: K&N 59-2040 Personal Watercraft Flame Arrestor: Automotive

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length

Evanfspencer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I believe this is the one I had before.
K&N Universal Clamp-On Air Filter: High Performance, Premium, Washable, Replacement Filter: Flange Diameter: 4 In, Filter Height: 5.5 In, Flange Length: 1.125 In, Shape: Round Tapered, RG-1001RD Amazon.com: K&N Universal Clamp-On Air Filter: High Performance, Premium, Washable, Replacement Filter: Flange Diameter: 4 In, Filter Height: 5.5 In, Flange Length: 1.125 In, Shape: Round Tapered, RG-1001RD: Automotive
Thank you for the quick response but I think that is the non flame arrestor filter. Since I did the ribbon delete, I thought it'd be good to go with the flame arrestor version to be USCG complient...

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
It is one of the mods I plan on doing. If it helps great if it doesn't it's ok, It just plain looks better.