• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Cold Start/fuel pump

adam.court

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2014 AR-192 and am having a difficult time starting the boat initially for the day. When i finally get it started it runs and starts fine all day. It is the initial start that is giving me issues. almost like the pump is not primed

Also, when pushing up the power the engine sputters and then eventually kicks in. I would assume some type of fuel pump issue. Seems like once the fuel pump is primed the boat runs and starts fine but it take a lot of TLC to get it intially running. The issue with trying to pull a skier up and have the engine stagnation seem to be linked. I checked the battery, changed the plugs. I had the supercharger clutch changed last year and now this issue this year. not sold on jet boats. Any help would be appreciated. I am thinking it is the fuel pump

I have a 2014 AR-192 and am having a difficult time starting the boat initially for the day. When i finally get it started it runs and starts fine all day. It is the initial start that is giving me issues. almost like the pump is not primed

Also, when pushing up the power the engine sputters and then eventually kicks in. I would assume some type of fuel pump issue. Seems like once the fuel pump is primed the boat runs and starts fine but it take a lot of TLC to get it intially running. The issue with trying to pull a skier up and have the engine stagnation seem to be linked. I checked the battery, changed the plugs. I had the supercharger clutch changed last year and now this issue this year. not sold on jet boats. Any help would be appreciated. I am thinking it is the fuel pump

Have you changed the plugs?

Just going to get a little more background info here… How do you winterize? Do you fog the cylinders and intake? If so did you burn off the fogging oil before changing the plugs? Are you filling up with premium non-ethanol fuel due to the supercharger??

Just going to get a little more background info here… How do you winterize? Do you fog the cylinders and intake? If so did you burn off the fogging oil before changing the plugs? Are you filling up with premium non-ethanol fuel due to the supercharger??
i use non ethanol fuel. the dealership that changed the clutch did fog the motor. i am unaware how to fog the motor before changing the plugs? But once i get the boat started. it always starts up on first attempt and runs perfect for rest of day. but will take me 1/2 to get it started. feel like a fuel pump is weak or not primed.

How do you burn off the fogging oil? i changed the plugs earlier

i use non ethanol fuel. the dealership that changed the clutch did fog the motor. i am unaware how to fog the motor before changing the plugs? But once i get the boat started. it always starts up on first attempt and runs perfect for rest of day. but will take me 1/2 to get it started. feel like a fuel pump is weak or not primed.

How do you burn off the fogging oil? i changed the plugs earlier

1/2?

Fogging the cylinders and intake is easy, it’s part of winterization… run the engine on the hose (engine on then start water flow) and spray the fogging oil in the intake for all the cylinders. After you’ve done a good dousing shut it down (water off first then engine off) remove each spark plug and spray the oil into each cylinder and then replace the plugs. Pull your safety lanyard by your throttles, this allows the engines to turn over but not start, turn the engine over a few times so the cylinders are lubed up. Fairly certain there’s a YouTube video from capt Leon showing how to do it on a 190 series Yamaha.

Moving on though, to burn off the fogging oil, I run the engine for at least 15 minutes on the hose. This way it should burn off all the oil from winterization so when I replace the spark plugs I have less of a chance of fouling the new plugs.

I would start with putting an additive in the fuel like seafoam. You can always pull the spark plugs and look at them and decide if they look good or not, and if you want to change them again. If you didn’t have the issue before they changed the supercharger clutch I’d probably be giving a call to the dealer who replaced it and ask why you’re all of a sudden having issues.

The starting and performance issue you are describing sounds like the air fuel ratio mix is not proper...........It can be the fuel pump but its probably just corrosion in the fuel injectors causing a poor air fuel mix.............hard starting and stumbling is matching all the signs of A/F ratio problem.

Hope this helps.

Back