• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Okay, I’ll try to sound positive for a change, lol.

Aside from vaccines, which are definitely the best and sustainable long-term solution, there are a few things on the horizon that look very promising.

Some of it is gimmicky such as for example the so called RNAi strategies for suppressing host factors involved in viral response, but other new approaches are more straightforward. One is based on forcing your body to produce protective broadly-cross reactive antibodies neutralizing the virus.

One such particular development I think worth watching is coming from a company called Vir, their immuno genetics division headed by my former boss and a colleague, Skip Virgin.
Brilliant guy, he used to be flown by Bill Gates on his private jet to give him private lectures on viral immunity during Ebola, but I digress.

They are well funded, and have been in this business for a few years, their leadership is like a think-tank, lol. Currently, the one strategy I think may likely work is to introduce genetic material, essentially a “matrix” or mold, encoding protective antibodies, so that patients own cells can produce those virus-neutralizing antibodies.

The particular antibody they use is actually directed towards SARS1, but it cross reacts with the current COVID-19 coronavirus.

It’s like injecting antiserum to snake venom, or rabies, basically an iteration on preventative prophylaxis approaches used for decades.
Except here the production of those abs would be more stable with better pharmacokinetics. This could be a game changer BEFORE a vaccine, if it goes into production soon. But who knows.

He is a short press release on that particular new approach from them, nothing confidential there.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I found it quite informative. It’s nice to see some straight up information from a doctor that has a lot of experience with pandemics (SARS, MERS, COVID-19, swine flu). We could have learned a lot from S Korea a couple months ago, but honestly their response was much better and more pragmatic than our “chicken little” approach. Unfortunately this is why social distancing is the norm for me, I see the majority of the herd around me and can’t help but wonder how they manage to get dressed in the morning let alone hold jobs and raise families. Nobody thinks anymore, they “feel”. What they fail to realize is that having below average IQ makes your instinct also below average.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dude get off CNN. Your Group Think is astonishing considering you're the smartest guy in the room and should be able to form your own opinions.
@swatski you watch CNN?? I am learning so much about you LOL

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That dude just oozes “cool”. Lol
Went down the Youtube rabbit hole a few days ago and stumbled upon the making of "Dazed and Confused". One of my favorite movies. It was really good documentary. I recommend if you like Mathew and the movie in general. Link below.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I don;t know if I said this already but some good news from the front lines.
- we had our first person get better and leave the ICU, no longer needing life support
- I've seen some patients via telemedicine that got it, quarantined home and got better. It was a beast, and they felt terrible, but now are better.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am going to have series of posts here, so bear with me.
The first one will be for my own benefit the other 2 hopefully they will help others.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Until a week ago my mother in law ( who leaves in South Korea) was worried if we have enough food, but now it has been a couple of days that she asked my wife not to leave the house for fear of retribution due to my wife being Asian.
I do not see any our neighbors trying to lynch us or anything remotely close to it, but I figured ask you guy/gals if this is fake news Korean style!!!
Have you see or feel any animosity towards the Asian community ? I don't meant that people are not comfortable staying within 6 feet of an asians, I mean like contemplating violence. And if you are comfortable writing it here, by all mean feel free to drop me PM. I am just curious and woud like another perspective besides mine.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think Scots post below is a better suited to address what I posted.

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Until a week ago my mother in law ( who leaves in South Korea) was worried if we have enough food, but now it has been a couple of days that she asked my wife not to leave the house for fear of retribution due to my wife being Asian.
I do not see any our neighbors trying to lynch us or anything remotely close to it, but I figured ask you guy/gals if this is fake news Korean style!!!
Have you see or feel any animosity towards the Asian community ? I don't meant that people are not comfortable staying within 6 feet of an asians, I mean like contemplating violence. And if you are comfortable writing it here, by all mean feel free to drop me PM. I am just curious and woud like another perspective besides mine.
I have not seen any of it directly. A couple of weeks ago, there were some news articles about this subject, but have not seen any of it nor any indication of such a problem in local media.

My best guess: There have been a few very isolated incidents involving ignorant people focusing their frustration/anger/etc. on people that look Asian, and one or more such incidents may have been serious. OTOH, I also expect that various media would/did take such isolated incidents and blew them up out of proportion, unnecessarily driving fear and divisiveness.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you are interested to seeing how the economy in your state is projected to fair you can see it on this dashboard. You can select scenarios and see how the the state and what industries are at highest risk. It is a 0 to 100 scale with 0 means means bad and 100 means real good.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
oh thank you Scot. Can you please move my posts on that thread or should I do it? I had not noticed that thread existed. My bad :(
I think we leave everything as is for notification purposes, if people want to discuss business relief they can do it there

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have not seen any issues surrounding “racism” in the face of this pandemic. Most (99% probably more) people understand that Asian people or the Chinese specifically didn’t cause this virus, but they rightfully believe the Chinese government was NOT forthcoming with information when it could have probably saved thousands of lives. Not that anyone should be surprised.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I feel like you’re overthinking it.
Doesn’t Texas have open carry?

Personally, I would have her conceal carry for comfort but be able to hint she’s packing, if needed. No better deterrent to improper behavior then “speak softly and carry a big gun”, as one member here likes to say.

Unfortunately, there are people out there you simply cannot reason with. Why waste your time?

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have not seen any of it directly. A couple of weeks ago, there were some news articles about this subject, but have not seen any of it nor any indication of such a problem in local media.

My best guess: There have been a few very isolated incidents involving ignorant people focusing their frustration/anger/etc. on people that look Asian, and one or more such incidents may have been serious. OTOH, I also expect that various media would/did take such isolated incidents and blew them up out of proportion, unnecessarily driving fear and divisiveness.
Update: This was linked by news aggregator Drudge Report today. Group of teens attack woman while making anti-Asian remarks, says NYPD
Happened March 28. Three 15 year olds harassed a woman of Asian descent on a bus. One of them bashed her on the head with an umbrella and it required stitches. Is this awful, abhorrent behavior that should be roundly and loudly condemned and stopped by decent folk everywhere? Absolutely. Does this make the papers in New York City during normal times? Highly doubtful. Would this be picked up by national news sites in normal times? Of course not.

Status
Not open for further replies.