• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
France's #1 hospital preliminary findings are that chloroquine not having much effect.

Patriot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, if only (international) polls were designed to ascertain drug efficacy we could take it as good news. Unfortunately, polls are just that.
In the meantime, whatever anecdotal evidence is mounting out there in the alternative universe, the hard evidence for this drug effectiveness in treating COVID-19 is "equivocal at best", and the drug may actually be harmful.

--
Yes, we don't want any good news here do we. Again, your determination to downplay this treatment is mind boggling. Can you point out the harmful affects of this drug that's been around since the 50's to someone in the high risk category who may have contracted this virus. I'll take the opinion of 6000 Doctors worldwide in a heartbeat when it comes to saving lives and controlling the spread of this virus. Sounds like some people a playing the vaccine card a bit too much in my opinion.

We'll see how this plays out won't we!

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I dunno, none of this was a secret. Maybe a good bit of "we're not China" hubris, but there was ample time and reason to believe it would eventually take hold in Europe and likely here. I seriously considered liquidating my 401K holdings to a cash account in early February, but markets were still ticking up and I was being greedy. Hindsight is always 20/20. I'm in no danger of retirement anytime soon so I'm not going to worry about it - but would have been nice to get out when this got serious elsewhere.
Agree. Around the time of the travel ban I started looking hard and fast (I’m not a highly paid financial advisor/broker) at liquidating but honestly I’m here for the long haul as you are so I’ll let it ride. Many of my investments are in American companies, when the dust settles from this China will take the hit much worse than we do. I won’t use the phrase “mass exodus”, but globally companies will look at the risks of having all their manufacturing in one place that can’t be trusted with information.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I saw a dr on one of the news web sites yesterday that had completed a blind study on the medicines effectiveness on the virus. He stated they were able to duplicate the small study completed in china and France and that the study here with 62 people was 100% positive as it applies to this specific virus. The dr stated he believes it's the beginning of the end for this virus. (Of course he said it will still take some time but he thinks this med treatment will end the covid19). I'm not in the medical field but I can see how three independent teams getting the same results would be strong POSITIVE evidence of getting a handle on a treatment.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can you point out the harmful affects of this drug that's been around since the 50's to someone in the high risk category who may have contracted this virus.
Sure, one such harmful effect is death. Along with a poll, or hundred polls, there is other anecdotal "evidence" that as much as doubling the dose can actually kill patients in certain populations. None of it is verifiable (meaningful) without evidence from randomized controlled trials removing obvious biases intrinsic in applying treatment and interpretation of its results, especially in situations like this.

The mechanism of Plasmodium pathogenicity and type of cells that are targeted couldn't be more different than SARS-Cv-2. There is paucity of data on elderly with quinine as most of the people who die from the disease (malaria) are young children in Africa.

There are people who are experts on this stuff, they all say the same thing, the data at this time is equivocal. Doesn't mean there is no room for compassionate use, observational studies etc, but you can not push this stuff on people who may or may not benefit and/or could be harmed - without evidence.

But sure, go ahead, call Chinese criminally liable for obstructing data while you praise abandoning the standards that our medical establishment built over decades so we can actually rely on it. Makes sense :banghead:

We'll see how this plays out won't we!
I hope we will find out it works.
This will not however go away, BTW, until there is either good herd immunity or a good vaccine available.

--

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I saw a dr on one of the news web sites yesterday that had completed a blind study on the medicines effectiveness on the virus. He stated they were able to duplicate the small study completed in china and France and that the study here with 62 people was 100% positive as it applies to this specific virus. The dr stated he believes it's the beginning of the end for this virus. (Of course he said it will still take some time but he thinks this med treatment will end the covid19). I'm not in the medical field but I can see how three independent teams getting the same results would be strong POSITIVE evidence of getting a handle on a treatment.
If there is a properly powered and controlled study with data coming out let us know, there are no secrets in this field as long as peer review is allowed to guide the process and politics are kept at bay.

The US medical establishment has developed rigorous and transparent standards for clinical trials that work extremely well.
Let's not become a China, where politics not science dictate government behavior.
(Albeit there re clear advantages to handling a pandemic in their system, but I'm digressing, and it is by far not worth the cost. If you ask me.)

--

Last edited:

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If there is a properly powered and controlled study with data coming out let us know, there are no secrets in this field as long as peer review is allowed to guide the process and politics are kept at bay.

The US medical establishment has developed rigorous and transparent standards for clinical trials that work extremely well.
Let's not become a China, where politics not science dictate government behavior.

--
I just read thos a few mlm in ago. I find it interesting that the dr said the treatment they are using is very similar to other vaccines they have been working on for a long time.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My wife does billing for Carolina East hospital. And they still haven't set them up to work from home. Instead they are still working in unsafe conditions at the hospital. She constantly has to tell people to back away from her cause they will hover over her desk and chat. There is many Covid patients there and the numbers increase every day.
Her coworkers will say " i am safe, i don't have it!"

WTF is wrong with people, do they have to have a loved one get really sick or die to realize we are losing many unnecessary people to this. 6000+ is too much and the number will be much higher from the mentality of idiots like that
My wife’s mother works for does billing for hospitals as well. It was the same for her until last week when they finally let them work from home. During these times the employers actions or lack of speak volumes about their priorities.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just read thos a few mlm in ago. I find it interesting that the dr said the treatment they are using is very similar to other vaccines they have been working on for a long time.
Right on!
"the treatment is seeking approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to begin clinical human trials"

That's very positive.

Edit: Are we talking about vaccine, that this is about, or hydroxychloroquine?

--

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My wife’s mother works for Healthsouth and does billing as well. It was the same for her until last week when they finally let them work from home. During these times the employers actions or lack of speak volumes about their priorities.
many face furloughs, can be a difficult choice. Even companies like mine that are actually involved in covid testing (we - not me personally, another division in my new NJ facility - currently run a few thousand tests a day on the Roche/Cobas systems for patients in the NJ/NYC area) are facing cash flow issues as covid testing (reimbursement) does not even begin to offset revenue losses (in other diagnostic testing - now reduced or cancelled). Obviously, I can't go into details of the results of the exposure, but it sucks a$$.

--

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Dr perspective here. We are using plaquenil in our hospital. Not because it is a magical cure, but because we are desperately trying to save people's lives. We do close monitoring of the heart's electrical system, because it can alter it and cause life threatening conditions. I have not seen it really make a huge difference but it is better than nothing at this point. I have actively discouraged using it willy nilly. Some colleagues suggested taking it as a prophylaxis (prevention) medicine. I strongly warn against that.

Patriot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Initial data out of New York show a pattern consistent with the rest of the world – the elderly and the sick are almost exclusively at risk by the coronavirus. Individuals without pre-existing conditions and younger Americans under the age of 65 are at a very very low risk of dying from the coronavirus.

1585921191753.png

The VAST MAJORITY of the victims are older (NYC, 70% 65 and over)
* Very few are under 50 (NYC, 5.8% under 45)
* Almost NO teenagers or children (NYC, one death under 18, or .07%)
* Only a fraction have NO OTHER HEALTH CONDITIONS (1.29%)

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Initial data out of New York show a pattern consistent with the rest of the world – the elderly and the sick are almost exclusively at risk by the coronavirus. Individuals without pre-existing conditions and younger Americans under the age of 65 are at a very very low risk of dying from the coronavirus.

View attachment 115090

Lies, damn lies, and statistics. While yes, older people are definitely at high risk, that message has caused lots of damage. Younger folks it seems felt immune. That has led to two things. Younger folks transmitting the virus to at risk populations, and also younger folks also getting sick. Less common, but does happen. I've seen it first hand. Scary.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

View attachment 115090

The problem with information like this is young people see this and think, "i am ok and wont die so F it i dont care"
What is dangerous is they are the ones most likely spreading it faster which in turns gets the virus to someone who is susceptible to dying.

There needs to be more focus on stopping the spread amongst young people that think they are immune when in fact they are being immature and careless

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

View attachment 115090

Yeah, let’s just all go party, we have a beautiful old new drug that cures covid, a beautiful new hospital ship with 3 patients, we are testing everyone with our beautiful new tests, oh and our beautiful new vaccine is already here.
“Relax’.
:rolleyes:

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Right on!
"the treatment is seeking approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to begin clinical human trials"

That's very positive.

Edit: Are we talking about vaccine, that this is about, or hydroxychloroquine?

--
This is the first paragra..

PITTSBURGH – A lead researcher on the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine's COVID-19 vaccine project said the treatment is seeking approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to begin clinical human trials.

Patriot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah, let’s just all go party, we have a beautiful old new drug that cures covid, a beautiful new hospital ship with 3 patients, we are testing everyone with our beautiful new tests, oh and our beautiful new vaccine is already here.
“Relax’.
:rolleyes:

Dude get off CNN. Your Group Think is astonishing considering you're the smartest guy in the room and should be able to form your own opinions.

As has been said before and my personal opinion is we shouldn't let the cure be worse than the disease. Again my opinion only. Feel free to disagree.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dude get off CNN. Your Group Think is astonishing considering you're the smartest guy in the room and should be able to form your own opinions.

As has been said before and my personal opinion is we shouldn't let the cure be worse than the disease. Again my opinion only. Feel free to disagree.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think his comment was pure sarcasm, voicing the mentality of the younger generation.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For the death cases here in the south the ages vary all over the place. From 30’s to 70-80’s. Some perfectly fit and healthy and others with underlying issues. Seems the virus affects people differently. I don’t know the percentages of each age and which is higher or lower but I suspect elderly will always be at most risk because of weaker immune system as we age.

Status
Not open for further replies.