• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The nice side effects of stay at home orders:

Delhi
View attachment 115035
LA
View attachment 115036
It will be curious to see what societal changes in expectations result from these stark on/off air pollution changes in some of the most industrialized parts of the developing world.

Not quite 10 years ago, I did an expat stint in Shanghai, China. My wife and kids were over there with me when the kids were out of school during the summer. My wife and the young woman that was my full time translator over there developed a steong friendship. About 18 months after I returned to the States, she (translator) had a business trip to our HQ in Milwaukee, near where we live. She and my wife spent a couple days together shopping, hitting up favorite restaurants, playing with our kids, etc.

The whole time she was here, she was continually amazed about one thing in American life: She could not believe our sky is actually blue. Having grown up in Shanghai and almost never leaving it, she never really believed the sky could be so blue and not the grey-brownish heavy haze she was so used to seeing and breathing. It profoundly changed her outlook.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wow those are amazing before and after photos. I wonder if Greta will be happy now lol.

I have purposely denied and turned down trips to China and India for my work and let others go and all of them said the air quality is absolutely horrible in those industrial areas. It will be interesting to see what L.A. and other overpopulated areas of our country look like with their smog. Our country gets a bad rep for environmental emissions but compared to these other countries I don't think people realize just how much blue and clean our skies are compared to others.

Last edited:

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow those are amazing before and after photos. I wonder if Greta will be happy now lol.

I have purposely denied and turned down trips to China and India for my work and let others go and all of them said the air quality is absolutely horrible in those industrial areas. It will be interesting to see what L.A. and other overpopulated areas of our country look like with their smog. Our country gets a bad rep for environmental emissions but compared to these other countries I don't think people realize just how much blue and clean our skies are compared to theirs.
I haven't checked recently, but back in 2015 (or 16) I checked the actuals for the previous completed year on "small particulate matter of 2.5 microns or less in diameter (PM2.5)" air pollution against WHO standards (note many regard this type of air pollution to be most directly hazardous to human health). I checked the official Shanghai numbers, the numbers measured and published by the US Consulate in Shanghai, and the official numbers for Los Angeles.

At the time, the Chinese had stopped publishing official numbers for small particulate and had adjusted their red/yellow/green daily scoreboarding on the larger particulate to a, um, unique standard that was much less stringent. Using the US Consulate numbers, Shanghai was above even marginally acceptable small particulate levels (using WHO standards) for well over 300 days the previous year. Going from memory, but I believe it was >320 days. LA, during the same time period, had fewer than 20, I believe it was around 8 or 12 days. It is possible, of course, that the US Consulate numbers were inflated for propaganda purposes (as the CCP frequently implied), but virtually every expat (mainly from EU but also from South Africa, Australia, Canada, and the US) and most Chinese people I knew felt the US numbers were reasonably accurate and were greatful for their daily publication.

I watched all this closely during the time I lived there, of course. I have asthma, so my interest was more than academic. Interestingly, in most places in Shanghai, I found the air pollution at ground level was much, much better than that even 3 or 4 floors off the ground. I assumed this was due to constant motion of people and vehicles on the ground - much like cars and trucks on a freeway will punch a tunnel through even a fairly heavy fog.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hopefully good news.

Yup waiting to see the results from UAB as well after their vaccine testing with mice using the Altimmune trial vaccine. I'll take the small slivers of hope any day over all the doom and gloom posts and news cycle.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The UV sterilization is valid, off the top of my head I think 254 nm is the wavelength you’re looking for. We use that for micro control in water systems, basically it degrades the genetic material (DNA RNA) in organisms, which doesn’t necessarily “kill” living microbes but renders them sterile (hence the term sterilization). I’d assume viruses are just as susceptible, the time needed to do this is very short (seconds depending on intensity, typically a 60 mJ/cm2 dose is standard) I’d definitely take precautions not to expose your skin or eyes to it though!
I need to go to my work and grab my UV curing box I made :D. Unfortunately yesterday they have told us not to return to work in the corporate office area unless it's an emergency. Had someone develop a fever overnight that was still working out of the corporate office.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I haven't checked recently, but back in 2015 (or 16) I checked the actuals for the previous completed year on "small particulate matter of 2.5 microns or less in diameter (PM2.5)" air pollution against WHO standards (note many regard this type of air pollution to be most directly hazardous to human health). I checked the official Shanghai numbers, the numbers measured and published by the US Consulate in Shanghai, and the official numbers for Los Angeles.

At the time, the Chinese had stopped publishing official numbers for small particulate and had adjusted their red/yellow/green daily scoreboarding on the larger particulate to a, um, unique standard that was much less stringent. Using the US Consulate numbers, Shanghai was above even marginally acceptable small particulate levels (using WHO standards) for well over 300 days the previous year. Going from memory, but I believe it was >320 days. LA, during the same time period, had fewer than 20, I believe it was around 8 or 12 days. It is possible, of course, that the US Consulate numbers were inflated for propaganda purposes (as the CCP frequently implied), but virtually every expat (mainly from EU but also from South Africa, Australia, Canada, and the US) and most Chinese people I knew felt the US numbers were reasonably accurate and were greatful for their daily publication.

I watched all this closely during the time I lived there, of course. I have asthma, so my interest was more than academic. Interestingly, in most places in Shanghai, I found the air pollution at ground level was much, much better than that even 3 or 4 floors off the ground. I assumed this was due to constant motion of people and vehicles on the ground - much like cars and trucks on a freeway will punch a tunnel through even a fairly heavy fog.
As someone who goes to India a lot, every time I return I thank my lucky stars for the EPA in the US. Far too many people in india are dependent on burning things to survive. Add to that the massive increase in vehicles....and my sinuses thank me every time I get home!

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Disinfection with UV radiation takes time, would be better to mount in some sort of box so you can leave it on for a while. Amount of time required is a function of wavelength and intensity.
This is a UV-C lamp short wavelength and intensity @3" from bulb outputs 5.45 mw/cm2 will kill viruses and bacteria in 15-20 seconds.

Last edited:

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I need to go to my work and grab my UV curing box I made :D. Unfortunately yesterday they have told us not to return to work in the corporate office area unless it's an emergency. Had someone develop a fever overnight that was still working out of the corporate office.

This is UV-C 100nm to 280nm . Curing UV is 365 nm to 445 nm. Sorry UV in this spectrum has little to no effect on mot biological organisms.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wasn't being serious

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Geez I just stumbled on a YT channel called The Epoch Times. Very, very interesting things on there. The CCP has to go!

Kevin-yyz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
China. 1st case November 15th
70 days later, January 23rd, Wuhan lockdown: 830 cases/25 deaths
0.00006% of population.

USA. First case, January 21st
70 days later: 163,788 cases.
0.0495% of population

Italy. First case. January 31st
63 days later (April 2nd): 115,242 cases. Estimate after 70 days 150,000 cases.Their curve is flattening compared to Spain.
0.2483% of population

Spain. First case. January 31st
63 days later: 112,065 cases, Estimate after 70 days 179,000
0.3829% of population.

My very basic math says that China would have had at least 712,000 cases after 70 days (using USA infection rate of .000495% of population).

Because China’s population density is 3 times of America’s and in between that of Italy and Spain the total number of cases is probably closer to 1,679,000. Most likely more.

At a 3% death rate that’s somewhere between 21,300 and 50,300 deaths.

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
China. 1st case November 15th
70 days later, Wuhan lockdown: 830 cases/25 deaths
0.0000006% of population.

USA. First case, January 21st
70 days later: 163,788 cases.
0.000495% of population

Italy. First case. January 31st
63 days later (April 2nd): 115,242 cases. Estimate after 70 days 150,000 cases.Their curve is flattening compared to Spain.
0.002483% of population

Spain. First case. January 31st
63 days later: 112,065 cases, Estimate after 70 days 179,000
0.003829% of population.

My very basic math says that China would have had at least 712,000 cases after 70 days (using USA infection rate of .000495% of population).

Because China’s population density is 3 times of America’s and in between that of Italy and Spain the total number of cases is probably closer to 1,679,000. Most likely more.

At a 3% death rate that’s somewhere between 21,300 and 50,300 deaths.
Except you forget that China put 500 million people into quarantine! The largest in human history. And keep in mind their quarantine was way more strict than our shelter in place orders!

And did you hear the GA governor? "We just learned in the last 24 hours that you can be carrying the disease with no symptoms "......WTF?

Kevin-yyz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Except you forget that China put 500 million people into quarantine! The largest in human history. And keep in mind their quarantine was way more strict than our shelter in place orders!

And did you hear the GA governor? "We just learned in the last 24 hours that you can be carrying the disease with no symptoms "......WTF?
The Chinese quarantine started about 70 days (January 23rd) after the occurrence of the first case. Thats why I only went that far. After the lockdown the Chinese would probably have been very effective at flattening the curve.

Rest of the world may have acted differently had we all known the truth sooner.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
^^^ yup. CCP let their people die until they relealized there was no way to keep this from getting out into the public. Their "quarantine" consists of beating people, letting them collapse in the streets at the doors of hospitals, silencing and who knows what else. Don't for one second think what you hear from CCP and China officials is the truth. They need to pay for this. This is beyond German nazi's killing Jews. This is beyond middle eastern terrorists taking down towers and killing thousands of innocent Americans. This is beyond the Empire of Japan and Pearl Harbor. They need to pay for this at all costs and be held responsible for this GLOBAL disaster killing the World economy and thousands of people. I can't imagine what this is going to do to 3rd world countries as civilized societies are breaking at the seams. Makes my blood boil! Then you have the witch hunt going on here over and over and over just to smear someone. Today was the first time I prayed in many, many years and I'm not really a religious person but perhaps He seems the evil in His world and wants people to awaken from their fog and sleep.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
CCP let their people die until they relealized there was no way to keep this from getting out into the public.
Thank God this wouldn’t happen here.

EDIT: I’d like to see the names published of all the motherfuckers in public office who dumped stocks a few weeks ago.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think if the world truly knew the numbers from the get-go countries would have shut things down much faster and not lolly gagged around waiting to see how it spreads about. Of course if we did anything that was for the greater good of the country you'll just be labeled as racist evil white man lol Ilook back when he banned flights or look at how the media does not want to own up calling this the China or CCP virus). MSM getting pay checks from CCP I guess lol. At first many people thought this was just a bad case of the flu so many simply were too busy making cute memes for the lulz and likes on their favorite social media platforms. Hell to this day you still hear that from fellow Americans. We live in such an entitled time that nobody thinks it can affect then I guess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.