• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
And what is up with the young folks having a grudge against Baby Boomers? I keep seeing posts from younger generation degrading and wishing death and harm to “boomers”. Going around spitting on them, coughing on them, licking groceries and cardboard packages at the grocery store. The youth of this world are some sick individuals. God help us when these people get into positions of power.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Siting the mentality of this younger generation. They hear these statistics in comparison to other death rates like those with SARS and H1N1 and immediately make the assumption that this isn't as bad.

Yes, statistically an individual is more likely to survive the illness if infected with Covid-19 vs H1N1 or SARS. The BIG issue here is the rampant rate of infection with Covid-19 that will give this disease its devastating numbers nationally and globally. It's drastically easier to contract and transmit AND transmit to our at risk population.

Doing quick math, the death rate is 2.47% in the US. .5% of the population of New York state contracted this virus in 3 weeks. If .5% of the United States population were to contract Covid 19. That's 1.6 million cases and that's 39,520 Americans who die... that's more U.S. deaths than the Korean war in a matter of months, not 3 years.

245,066 cases in the U.S. currently. 1/6 of the way there with exponential growth. That's real. And the at risk population that will make up the majority of those statistics have already sacrificed enough for the younger generation...

Last edited:

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes, we don't want any good news here do we. Again, your determination to downplay this treatment is mind boggling. Can you point out the harmful affects of this drug that's been around since the 50's to someone in the high risk category who may have contracted this virus. I'll take the opinion of 6000 Doctors worldwide in a heartbeat when it comes to saving lives and controlling the spread of this virus. Sounds like some people a playing the vaccine card a bit too much in my opinion.

We'll see how this plays out won't we!
Swatski is 100% on the money. The initial study that sparked the hydrochloroquine suggestion was significantly flawed, which is why a blanket recommendation is poorly advised. Case evidence rarely bears fruit when considering treating an entire population. If you actually read the EUA issued by FDA for this, you'd understand it a bit better. If you want to harken back to a previous epidemic, you might remember ZMapp being touted as the cure to Ebola based on a few patients' data that were treated, when they actually had an opportunity to do a randomized controlled trial, it did not improve mortality in a significant manner. In fact, in another randomized controlled trial, two other drugs that didn't get the press that ZMapp did were found to be far more effective. Clinical Research matters.

Should we evaluate all potential therapeutic options where there is a positive risk:benefit assessment? Absolutely. Should we structure some actual trials during the course of this? Absolutely. Should we provide a blanket recommendation based on a poll? Absolutely not.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is the first paragra..

PITTSBURGH – A lead researcher on the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine's COVID-19 vaccine project said the treatment is seeking approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to begin clinical human trials.
yessir, that looks very promising.
It won't happen overnight, unfortunately, but the good news is it should be way more effective than flu vaccines. Once it's ready it should dampen or put the end to covid, hopefully.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If anyone gets the bright idea to be an entrepreneur and order some masks, gowns, test kits from China, don't bother,

I interact with US customs/FDA on documenting/approving import shipments ( kind of like a CPA for your taxes or HR Block).

We've fielded several call over the last few days from prospective new importers who have a connection in China.

We have one existing customer who imports FDA material and is pretty smart about business who has looked into it, his cost to import a mask he said was about $5.50 to his warehouse (remember most of the passenger planes aren't flying so space on cargo planes is very sought after and if you put it on an ocean vessel it will be at least a month if not two before you see it).
He said with the TX attorney general filing suit against a mask "gouger" selling at $5. each it wasn't worth it to him to even try or expose himself to the possibility of being singled out.

He did say the FDA has greatly eased restrictions all items and it's basically "just tell us your importing them but the quality/approval is at your own risk"

He also said and probably the most alarming was that the Chinese Govt was not approving shipments of masks or test kits to the US or TW for export. His agent said they were shipping daily to Europe but that when they submit export papers to the Govt they just sit with no action taken and so the cargo can't be sent.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
And what is up with the young folks having a grudge against Baby Boomers? I keep seeing posts from younger generation degrading and wishing death and harm to “boomers”. Going around spitting on them, coughing on them, licking groceries and cardboard packages at the grocery store. The youth of this world are some sick individuals. God help us when these people get into positions of power.
Their lives lack meaning and purpose. When there’s nothing larger than yourself you don’t care to act “human”.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If anyone gets the bright idea to be an entrepreneur and order some masks, gowns, test kits from China, don't bother,

I interact with US customs/FDA on documenting/approving import shipments ( kind of like a CPA for your taxes or HR Block).

We've fielded several call over the last few days from prospective new importers who have a connection in China.

We have one existing customer who imports FDA material and is pretty smart about business who has looked into it, his cost to import a mask he said was about $5.50 to his warehouse (remember most of the passenger planes aren't flying so space on cargo planes is very sought after and if you put it on an ocean vessel it will be at least a month if not two before you see it).
He said with the TX attorney general filing suit against a mask "gouger" selling at $5. each it wasn't worth it to him to even try or expose himself to the possibility of being singled out.

He did say the FDA has greatly eased restrictions all items and it's basically "just tell us your importing them but the quality/approval is at your own risk"

He also said and probably the most alarming was that the Chinese Govt was not approving shipments of masks or test kits to the US or TW for export. His agent said they were shipping daily to Europe but that when they submit export papers to the Govt they just sit with no action taken and so the cargo can't be sent.
After we sent ventilators and masks there in January/February by the plane full, this should be reason enough for companies to return to the U.S. for manufacturing.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Also worth mentioning is the PPE from China is flawed and failing tests based off what European countries are reporting,

We are better off making it here from the get-go at this point. Actually we always have been better off making it here but fat cat CEO's like to get that huge profit margin so they order where it's cheaper (China, India, etc). It will be interesting when the dust settles if the manufacturing industry goes back to China or if people actually start thinking about making our country stronger vs making a quick buck with higher profit margins. I've always been completely fine with paying more for any product if it was made in the US vs foreign dependency.

Based off our experience at work it takes 60-70 days on average to get items on the slow boat from China. Also has to clear customs which can be additional days, weeks or even months of waiting.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well we just got the stay-at-home order statewide effective tomorrow until April 30th. I was wondering how long it would take our old ass Governor to come around.

ctyke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I'm wondering what the end game is. If we all stay in our homes to "flatten the curve", how long will the gov't want us to stay home. And then what, we all get the virus after we are allowed out and broke as it doesn't sound like it will ever go away. Or do we wait the 18 months to find a shot that will make us immune? How long before the healthcare system can handle the wave of patients? And how long will people put up with this house arrest we are all living in now? I have 4 teenagers, and they are going stir crazy, I can only see them getting worse the longer they are restricted. Maybee we do a slow roll out back to society to limit the exposure? At what point is the cure worse than the disease? So, what are your thoughts on what the end game of this whole mess is?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I'm wondering what the end game is. If we all stay in our homes to "flatten the curve", how long will the gov't want us to stay home. And then what, we all get the virus after we are allowed out and broke as it doesn't sound like it will ever go away. Or do we wait the 18 months to find a shot that will make us immune? How long before the healthcare system can handle the wave of patients? And how long will people put up with this house arrest we are all living in now? I have 4 teenagers, and they are going stir crazy, I can only see them getting worse the longer they are restricted. Maybee we do a slow roll out back to society to limit the exposure? At what point is the cure worse than the disease? So, what are your thoughts on what the end game of this whole mess is?
I guess I am lucky to the fact its just me, my wife and 2 doggies. No teenagers to deal with so for us it ain't too bad to be home so much.

But even if by me being home i don't get it and in turn give it to many others, i feel its worth it.
I am not as concerned for my own life, but i couldn't live with the fact that if i gave it to someone else and they died or were seriously ill.
My property will look like a million bucks soon with all the projects i am doing
Pool is open and ready so its looking not so bad at the Ricci homestead

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It's not going to last 18 months I don't think. Italy is showing promising signs of finally flattening the curve now that people are taking it a lot more seriously there and staying home. Spain is also just now showing a slight slowing so staying at home is proving to work. Those that are sick at home will speak medical help if they get severe. It's better than those people walking around making things much worse and also better for the asymptomatic people who don't feel sick (now) to be around others, it all about buying time to ease strain off the healthcare system by not infecting thousands more as this spreads very easily obviously. That combined with the majority of the people who come down with the virus have mild symptoms and can self isolate at home to ride it out. We should have done in January or Febuary when I had hoped and we would likely have been in a much better position to be on the other side of the curve. My guess is we will be in shelter in place for 3-4 weeks after whatever happens in Europe hard hit areas so do what I've been doing and watch the trends in Italy and Spain. We will likely have a huge spike coming in the next 2-3 weeks and everyone will freak out but trends show we are on the Sam trajectory as European countries, only we are 3 weeks behind them or so. It will look bleak and bad I think but we will come out of this hopefully stronger as a nation.

Last edited:

ctyke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's not going to last 18 months I don't think. Italy is showing promising signs of finally flattening the curve now that people are taking it a lot more seriously there and staying home. Spain is also just now showing a slight slowing so staying at home is proving to work. Those that are sick at home will speak medical help if they get severe. It's better than those people walking around making things much worse and also better for the asymptomatic people who don't feel sick (now) to be around others, it all about buying time to ease strain off the healthcare system by not infecting thousands more as this spreads very easily obviously. That combined with the majority of the people who come down with the virus have mild symptoms and can self isolate at home to ride it out. We should have done in January or Febuary when I had hoped and we would likely have been in a much better position to be on the other side of the curve. My guess is we will be in shelter in place for 3-4 weeks after whatever happens in Europe hard hit areas so do what I've been doing and watch the trends in Italy and Spain. We will likely have a huge spike coming in the next 2-3 weeks and everyone will freak out but trends show we are on the Sam trajectory as European countries, only we are 3 weeks behind them or so. It will look bleak and bad I think but we will come out of this hopefully stronger as a nation.
This is my point. Europe is still under lockdown, the curve is flattening for them because they are under lockdown. Then what?? They release the lockdown and we get a rebound in the curve? Then another lockdown? It seems we need an exit strategy, just wonder what that looks like.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes they are still under lockdown .....because they are not out of the woods yet. Until cases cease to be in mass influx then there will be a lockdown. Slowing the curve or infection rate allows the healthcare system to not be acover capacity. There have been great strides of many companies trying to create vaccines that will kickoff antibodies and help keep the virus somewhat under control. It could be months or years before those come out but we can't simply over flood the healthcare system for months on end and expect anything good to come of out, quite the opposite would happen. Nobody has a play book or game plan for a NOVEL (first time) virus. What we DO know is that you simply can't allow the healthcare system and hospitals to collapse and THAT is what flattening the curve is all about. You think it's bad now you best be lucky you don't live in some 3rd world country with ZERO help. Until there is a vaccine or some form of medicine come out of this or Lord willing some fading of this novel virus with summer heat (nobody knows) then we just have to wait and ride it out.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't care for video title they used but it is interesting to hear from as many perspectives as I can find. It gets really interesting when he dives into the stats after the 4:00 mark. The reason the lockdown as are so important is explained very easily. Out of every 9,000 cases they test, 20% show no symptoms. They are asymptomatic or in other words, a WALKING VIRUS that is unknowingly spreading it to people because they don't feel sick at all. This is why it spreads so fast. Incubation period before you feel sick can be as little as 2 days or 2 weeks. Do the math and you can see just hot potent this thing could truly be. Countries are taking the right measures to lock it down and slow the spread. We should have acted more aggressively back in Jan. I wished Trump would have shut down all flights in January but media was trying to smear him as a racist (surprise surprise that's their go-to default play card) for doing what was probably the best thing to do at the time. My sister in law would have been affected and likely been stuck in Beijing then but they made it back on the 19th of January with their new adopted child. I'm glad they made it back in time but we could have really made a huge dent if the gov't and MSM would have stayed out of the way. But no, this is 'Merica ....land of the weak and home of feelings and diversity.

Now they (left) are going to try and muddy the waters (once again) and make things even worse by having some fake ass witch hunt oversight panel and all that is going to do is slow shit down and make things so much worse but hey...,that's what they want anyways and don't give two shits about you or I so long as they make orange man look bad. It is clear the only thing they have their eye on is November election and this new smear campaign they and the MSM are running with. Imagine if this virus is still going strong in November and the election has to be pushed back. LULZ that would be amazing shit show to watch and they will become more unhinged than ever before. Impossible to think, I know, but they show no limits and never cease to amaze how much they hate this country at no matter the cost (you and I). Sorry didn't want to bring politics back in this but it had to be said because politics is going to get in the way once again for doing what is best for the country in a time it really needs politics to move out of the way and let the scientists and doctors get all the help they need.

Always watch this video as I found it interesting to hear from this Koeran Doctor ...

Last edited:

ctyke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't care for video title they used but it is interesting to hear from as many perspectives as I can find. It gets really interesting when he dives into the stats after the 4:00 mark. The reason the lockdown as are so important is explained very easily. Out of every 9,000 cases they test, 20% show no symptoms. They are asymptomatic or in other words, a WALKING VIRUS that is unknowingly spreading it to people because they don't feel sick at all. This is why it spreads so fast. Incubation period before you feel sick can be as little as 2 days or 2 weeks. Do the math and you can see just hot potent this thing could truly be. Countries are taking the right measures to lock it down and slow the spread. We should have acted more aggressively back in Jan. I wished Trump would have shut down all flights in January but media was trying to smear him as a racist (surprise surprise therats their go-to default play card) for doing what was probably the best thing to do at the time. My sister in law would have been affected and likely been stuck in Beijing then but they made it back on the 19th of January with their new adopted child. I'm glad they made it back in time but we could have really made a huge dent if the gov't would have stayed out of the way.

Now they (left) are going to try and muddy the waters (once again) and make things even worse by having some fake ass witch hunt oversight panel and all that is going to do is slow shit down and make things so much worse but hey...,that's what they want anyways and don't give two shits about you or I so long as they make orange man look bad. It is clear the only thing they have their eye on is Nivember election and this new smear campaign they and the MSM are running with. Sorry didn't want to bring politics back in this but it had to be said because politics is going to get in the way once again for doing what is best for the country in a time it really needs politics to move out of the way and let the scientists and doctors get all the help they need.

Always watch this video as I found it interesting to hear from this Koeran Doctor ...

I’ll watch the video, but this i like this. If a bunch of us have it and are taking time to get over it to not spread it I can live with that. What I’m thinking, it seems we all need to get it, how can we get it, control the wave, and be done.
As for the witch hunt, wait until the war is over, then figure what we can do better to prepare for the next time. Now is not the time for that, it seems only political at this time.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You should watch the video. It will probably help answer some of the questions you're seeking or at a minimum give you some insight on scenarios and what to expect. He covers the "end game" scenarios as you put it, It is probably the best piece of information all gathered from one nice interview that has a ton of good info from an actual doctor who has experience in these kinds of virus than a\watching or reading any "news" from the US. Unfortunately the only thing the media here cares about is sensationalism, view$ and not calmly using critical thinking to get their points across to the nation. Journalism ended decades ago here. MSM is just a branch of Hollyweird but far more damaging to the general public, especially the easily influenced and controlled. I love the fact he brings up SARS a lot because that is exactly why they were so prepare dans how they are able to do 15,000 tests a day. I can only hope we follow suit and actually become prepared for the next time we have a pandemic like this. I'd rather tax payer money go towards perpetration on the next pandemic than give $25M to the stupid John Fcking Kennedy Center of Arts and millions to politicians pockets but I digress. It's clear that stimulus bill ain't for us but for them. Thanks Pelosi and her cronies (both on the left and right)! Anyways hope you get something out of the video. Yes it's long and yes worth the watch. You got nothing but time now anyways :).

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow.
So much for toning down w/political rants?

@haknslash, brother, maybe time to reach for that NyQuil stockpile, but it will need to last you few more weeks.
😎 (just kidding with you)

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Believe me that is about as toned down as I can get aside from denying reality lol. Like it or not politics does revolve around our lives and unfortunately is going to get in the way of this pandemic. I have now edited the post to make that section a spoiler so if people don't want to read the opinion they can choose to ignore it ;)

The video should be the focus of that post. I thought it was worth the watch. It's a long video but I found it interesting enough to share.

Status
Not open for further replies.