• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Decision between 2015-2020 AR240/242 or 2024 AR250

Hike

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm trying to decide between two boats that are the Same Price (45k)! A 2015 242 with 120hrs (Garmin, JL Audio speakers, but no tower speakers) or a 2017 Ar240 with 130hrs (JL Tower speaker upgrade, the rest is stock.. needs Bimini fabric). both equally clean and in good shape.

I'm upgrading from my decked out 2008 SX230HO with about 500 hrs. What would you guys do?

Thanks!
Haik

I’d go for the 2017 model…. two years newer just needs a bit more tlc and a Garmin, but it looks like it has better tunes? How about trailer tires? What condition are they in? How about the bunk boards? Good shape or no? How about upholstery ? Good shape or showing its age? Look in the aft bilge and check for corrosion on the hose clamps and such. You could also run a used oil analysis on the engine to check for any thing bad happening. Maintenance records? How about the bottoms? Scratched or pristine? Does either boat have an onboard charger? How old are the batteries and what condition are they in? Battery connections? How does the engine compartment look? Neglected or as pristine as the rest of the boat?

Get into all the compartments with a small flash light and give it a good once over.

Good suggestions! Does anyone know if the 242 tower is taller than the 240? I'm 6'3"

Good suggestions! Does anyone know if the 242 tower is taller than the 240? I'm 6'3"

Did you check Boat Test or Boating magazine for tests of these boats?

2017! It has the new clean out ports as well as what FSH 210 Sport said. Keep in mind prior to the 250’s the AR240 still comes with the stainless steel rubrail as well. One of my big complaints about the AR250’s. In regards to tower height if you take the stops off I have seen people get this under an 8’ door on the 240’s on the trailer for storage. The only sell in my opinion is the tower mechanism on the 2015 242, the design to keep the tower up is a better design (really just talking about the pins, and they way they go in).

Last edited:
Just to make decisions more complicated.. let's throw in the option a 2024 AR250 which keeps creeping into my head as an option.

The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on a 2024 AR250 is the lackluster performance and the base model colors. (and that the price is almost double.. but hey, yolo)

Boating magazine just came out with numbers for the 2024 250 1.9L: 0-30 is 7 seconds while the previous 240 was 4.2 seconds!
They list the top speed of the 2024 AR250 as 48mph while the AR240 is 51.8mph. I was hoping for better results with the new engine!

I love the thrill our jetboats deliver and am hesitant to water down the level of exhilaration when you gun the throttle :)
Things that are most important to me are fun level, passenger space and ride quality. It seems like seating wise, both the 240 and 250 are pretty similar. The 250 seems to have more open room for coolers and tables but I wish it had more seating instead. I know the ride quality would be better on the 250 with the deeper hull and higher freeboard. Anyone have experience with both boats? opinions?
Thanks!

Just to make decisions more complicated.. let's throw in the option a 2024 AR250 which keeps creeping into my head as an option.

The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on a 2024 AR250 is the lackluster performance and the base model colors. (and that the price is almost double.. but hey, yolo)

Boating magazine just came out with numbers for the 2024 250 1.9L: 0-30 is 7 seconds while the previous 240 was 4.2 seconds!
They list the top speed of the 2024 AR250 as 48mph while the AR240 is 51.8mph. I was hoping for better results with the new engine!

I love the thrill our jetboats deliver and am hesitant to water down the level of exhilaration when you gun the throttle :)
Things that are most important to me are fun level, passenger space and ride quality. It seems like seating wise, both the 240 and 250 are pretty similar. The 250 seems to have more open room for coolers and tables but I wish it had more seating instead. I know the ride quality would be better on the 250 with the deeper hull and higher freeboard. Anyone have experience with both boats? opinions?
Thanks!
Can’t go wrong with either in my opinion, I have been on both.

If a new boat with the 1.9’s is on the table then it’s a no brainer. The 1.9’s are much quieter and smoother, and the four bladed impellers. That’s going to make the ride a lot more comfy for your passengers

Have a close look at the tested weight of the boats, the heavier and longer the boat is the better it’s going to ride, dead rise being the same. The 25’ hull is the same for the FSH boats and they are taken offshore.

And while I said to look at those tests you also have to watch them. I just read test today in boating of the G3 17’ boat and the numbers in the chart didn’t agree with the video or what was written.

Don’t let 2.8 seconds and 3.8 mph dissuade you from the newer boat. It will very close to zero hours and no previous owners.

What about fuel capacity, mpg and range ? Don’t a lot of the newer boats have those removable swim up seats in the back? What about head compartment space?

Thanks!

I just went and looked at the weight of the tested 252SD vs the AR 250, the AR250 is 668 pounds less in weight, That’s the equivalent of roughly four people using 165 pound avg weight, that’s going to make a rather large impact in how quick it accelerates and fast the top speed of the boat is, as well as the mpg and range. As an example, the new and heavier boat with the new 1.9’s cut 1.3 seconds off of the 0-30 time, 8.3 vs 7.0 seconds.

Unless I’m missing something, you state that Boating lists the top speed of the AR250 at 48 mph, but Boating didn’t test the AR250, they tested the heavier 252SD, I’d be pretty surprised if the lighter AR250’s top speed wasn't higher than the AR240. I couldn’t find the test on the AR240… Gotta compare apples to apples

Again, if the new boat is in the budget there’s no question I’d be going for the new boat.

Last edited:
If a new boat with the 1.9’s is on the table then it’s a no brainer. The 1.9’s are much quieter and smoother, and the four bladed impellers. That’s going to make the ride a lot more comfy for your passengers

100% agree. And comparing those numbers seems like a waste of time anyway. The thrill of the ride will not be noticeable for those differences.

1. you will very rarely run these at WOT. They cruise so nice at 35-40mph, but you know it's there when you need it.
2. you will very rarely blast to WOT from a dead stop. It's way too much for your passengers and the significant other will give you the look. you know the look.
3. If you have the means for the new boat, with all the cool things listed above, go for it. But as others have said, you will not be disappointed with any of the choices. For the very reason I see no reason to replace our 242LS (other than those cool seats under water)

Good point about the test numbers. I wish the 2024 AR250 came in Blue! Now onto researching boat wraps! It never ends! lol

Good point about the test numbers. I wish the 2024 AR250 came in Blue! Now onto researching boat wraps! It never ends! lol

It’s nice to have first world problems! Enjoy the journey! We expect a full report with pics of the new boat!

It’s nice to have first world problems! Enjoy the journey! We expect a full report with pics of the new boat!
First World problems indeed! We're a lucky bunch to even be on here discussing how fun these boats are:) I'm still planning on looking at the 2017 240 and will go from there. Thanks for all the input!

Back