• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

DIY Steering Cable Luber

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
How was pumping the 90w oil, any difficulties due to thickness? I bought the Star Brite 90w gear oil and I am plan on doing this Sunday after we get back from using the boat.
90W gear oil flows easily. It's similar in viscosity to 45W motor oil.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That’s not true. Call Yamaha in Tennessee. It’s a parts and workmanship issue for components under the 5yr warranty from Yamaha, I called and questioned it when the dealer told me my steering cable wouldn’t be covered under warranty. Yamaha was very quick to tell me otherwise.
Do you have the number?

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Do you have the number?
Phone number is 866 894 1629
Below is a screenshot of the component warranty from Yamaha. Apologies, it’s 3yrs not 5. Your dealer will need to submit a warranty repair to Yamaha stating the damage was not caused by you, but caused by faulty equipment, without destroying the cable to look inside, all they can do is visually inspect the cable/pump for damage.
089D403A-0DB0-4401-8DA7-48C6F39E3D39.png

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Lubricated my steering cable this morning. I was only able to pump about 2 ounces or so of oil before it started leaking out of the transom seal. I assume there is some type of seal or gasket inside the cable sheath that creates head pressure when pumping oil?
Is it normal on what I am explaining. No previous issues with this cable, just some PM.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Lubricated my steering cable this morning. I was only able to pump about 2 ounces or so of oil before it started leaking out of the transom seal. I assume there is some type of seal or gasket inside the cable sheath that creates head pressure when pumping oil?
Is it normal on what I am explaining. No previous issues with this cable, just some PM.
I ran into the same problem with the fluid leaking out of the transom through hull fitting. Then i ran the hose all the way up and over the transom fitting and had no leaks. Everything came out the other end at the helm, albeit very slowly. in the neighborhood of 60 psi is where it needed to be to get movement. An air compressor is a valuable asset in this job.

CaptRedbeard

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ran into the same problem with the fluid leaking out of the transom through hull fitting. Then i ran the hose all the way up and over the transom fitting and had no leaks. Everything came out the other end at the helm, albeit very slowly. in the neighborhood of 60 psi is where it needed to be to get movement. An air compressor is a valuable asset in this job.
For me, a bicycle pump was much easier to control the psi level and monitor the reduction in pressure as the oil made its way into the cable.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
good info thank you! I through there was some type of seal so you could only lube the last 12" or so of the cable, Maybe its just fighting gravity as you are pretty much pumping from the wrong end. Pretty shocked this is a Yamaha preventative maint. item, yet Yamaha does not tell you how to do this.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Phone number is 866 894 1629
Below is a screenshot of the component warranty from Yamaha. Apologies, it’s 3yrs not 5. Your dealer will need to submit a warranty repair to Yamaha stating the damage was not caused by you, but caused by faulty equipment, without destroying the cable to look inside, all they can do is visually inspect the cable/pump for damage.
I checked with my dealer last week and they said yea no problem it will be covered bring it in so we can get the claim started. Anyway I brought it in this morning but the steering was way looser then it has been today. The mechanic looked at it and said it was only a 2 out of 10 as far as tightness goes.. so I guess my lube job ended helping more after it sat for a week. They said they could put the claim in but when they send back the old cable to yamaha for inspection and disasseby they will end up charging me since its not bad. So I have to wait until it gets worse again to to bring back to them.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I checked with my dealer last week and they said yea no problem it will be covered bring it in so we can get the claim started. Anyway I brought it in this morning but the steering was way looser then it has been today. The mechanic looked at it and said it was only a 2 out of 10 as far as tightness goes.. so I guess my lube job ended helping more after it sat for a week. They said they could put the claim in but when they send back the old cable to yamaha for inspection and disasseby they will end up charging me since its not bad. So I have to wait until it gets worse again to to bring back to them.
Good to hear your dealer was willing to look into it and provide you some information. I still have my old cable from when Dometic (formally Sea Star Solutions) sent me my warranty cable. They have yet to provide me the RMA and return label to mail it back. Im going to hold off a little while longer and if no response from them, I will destroy it to see what the defect was. As a Quality Engineer, a little root cause / corrective action is required for my personal satisfaction ;)

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So one year on how is the steering cable now?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe there was some issues with some of the cables. I replaced mine. But, my cables were never as loose and smooth as the replacements were, from day one when I picked up the boat.

Since replacing them, I have been religiously putting on toilet bowl ring wax every couple of outings on my steering components and bucket components that have linkeage and everything works very smooth. I inspect for water intrusion and I don't see any. I also put small SS hose clamps around the small black boot on the steering arm so they don't pop off.

It is low maintenance and quick and efficient.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I believe there was some issues with some of the cables. I replaced mine. But, my cables were never as loose and smooth as the replacements were, from day one when I picked up the boat.

Since replacing them, I have been religiously putting on toilet bowl ring wax every couple of outings on my steering components and bucket components that have linkeage and everything works very smooth. I inspect for water intrusion and I don't see any. I also put small SS hose clamps around the small black boot on the steering arm so they don't pop off.

It is low maintenance and quick and efficient.
Thanks for the info and the tips!

The steering on my boat has been free and easy since purchase. I did try and pull the little black boots back but at that time they seemed very well attached so I did not want to risk damaging them so I let that sleeping dog lay.

I‘ll have to try the toilet wax sealing ring, I’ve been using marine grease or spray lithium grease on all the pivot points back there.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Grab the small SS clamps or Zipties for the boots. small price of insurance for such a big gain.

The wax is really sticky and gummy and doesn't wash off every trip.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So one year on how is the steering cable now?
Steering cables are still nice and loose. I make sure I move the steering back and forth every 2 weeks if im not using the boat. I have not lubed the cables again yet since last summer. I probbly will do again before the end of the year just for good measure,

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Steering cables are still nice and loose. I make sure I move the steering back and forth every 2 weeks if im not using the boat. I have not lubed the cables again yet since last summer. I probbly will do again before the end of the year just for good measure,
Thanks ! That’s promising news!

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
little update on my 255xd that ties to this, my starboard steering cable is on its way out. Boat is a 2021 lol, doesnt stay in water long and rinsed vigorously after use. I noticed turning lock to lock on land i was getting a perceived "clicking" from the back. It was actually the nozzles shifting on the pivots. Why were they shifting, you may ask? Well i have Cobras and the additional tierod. With a cable thats binding up, the other cable techically is pulling and pushing too...so the noise was the loading and unloading force. Removed both turnbuckles and removed the nuts up front in the help attached to the hydraulic ram (electronic steering versions). Port is silky smooth, starboard i could barely budge it by hand. Def can't tell in the wheel since nothing is attached to it....BUT it does answer one of my warranty failures, that still is an issue.

My hydraulic ram for the steering in the 1st month of ownership lifted the screws that secure the pump to the floor. 2 outta the 6 shown in photo provided. The dealer fixed with longer/bigger diameter screws......well after inspecting again, they are pulled out again. I thought my steering was sloppy last time out, and sure as hell it is, since the ram has tons of play in it now. The cable being close to seized is putting undo force into the ram. So it looks like my cable has been like this since I bought it.

Tried lubing it with the trick in this thread, tried both ways. From helm, and from back of boat. Couldnt get anything out either end, went as high as 75psi with air compressor. Not sure if these newer cables have some other seals inside besides the external black ones exposed.

Cables are on back order 150 days it shows lol. I bought a SBT aftermarket to have on hand, and switch so this season don't go down the toilet and in winter have dealer warranty under my YES.

Attachments

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
little update on my 255xd that ties to this, my starboard steering cable is on its way out. Boat is a 2021 lol, doesnt stay in water long and rinsed vigorously after use. I noticed turning lock to lock on land i was getting a perceived "clicking" from the back. It was actually the nozzles shifting on the pivots. Why were they shifting, you may ask? Well i have Cobras and the additional tierod. With a cable thats binding up, the other cable techically is pulling and pushing too...so the noise was the loading and unloading force. Removed both turnbuckles and removed the nuts up front in the help attached to the hydraulic ram (electronic steering versions). Port is silky smooth, starboard i could barely budge it by hand. Def can't tell in the wheel since nothing is attached to it....BUT it does answer one of my warranty failures, that still is an issue.

My hydraulic ram for the steering in the 1st month of ownership lifted the screws that secure the pump to the floor. 2 outta the 6 shown in photo provided. The dealer fixed with longer/bigger diameter screws......well after inspecting again, they are pulled out again. I thought my steering was sloppy last time out, and sure as hell it is, since the ram has tons of play in it now. The cable being close to seized is putting undo force into the ram. So it looks like my cable has been like this since I bought it.

Tried lubing it with the trick in this thread, tried both ways. From helm, and from back of boat. Couldnt get anything out either end, went as high as 75psi with air compressor. Not sure if these newer cables have some other seals inside besides the external black ones exposed.

Cables are on back order 150 days it shows lol. I bought a SBT aftermarket to have on hand, and switch so this season don't go down the toilet and in winter have dealer warranty under my YES.
Sea star/Domitec steering cables? When mine took a crap they warrantied it out no issue and mailed it straight to my house for me to put it. Maybe worth looking into since materials are easier to come by, they may be able to drop ship one to you. Requires some paperwork to supply, but may get you back on the water quicker and cheaper….

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Sea star/Domitec steering cables? When mine took a crap they warrantied it out no issue and mailed it straight to my house for me to put it. Maybe worth looking into since materials are easier to come by, they may be able to drop ship one to you. Requires some paperwork to supply, but may get you back on the water quicker and cheaper….
Not sure what brand cable is used on the 255xd. I'll have to take a peek. That would be great if I could do it that way. I really don't trust my dealer to do a clean job.