• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

DIY Steering Cable Luber

pbarton13

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SE
Boat Length
I have a 2021 275SE and the port side steering is tight. Was tight at the beginning of last season as well, but freed up after external spays of CRC and moving the wheel. The shop is saying a month to get the boat in and replace the cables. For the newer, sealed (at helm) cables, has anyone had luck performing this fix from the transom side. Thanks in advance.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Just note this is part of the "routine" Yamaha preventative maint. Im currently fighting with my dealer on a frozen steering cable. I have a running thread under the 190 model section.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 2021 275SE and the port side steering is tight. Was tight at the beginning of last season as well, but freed up after external spays of CRC and moving the wheel. The shop is saying a month to get the boat in and replace the cables. For the newer, sealed (at helm) cables, has anyone had luck performing this fix from the transom side. Thanks in advance.
Some have, some haven’t.

Mine and @HangOutdoors cables were totally screwed and lubing under pressure from the transom side did not work on one side for each of us.

pbarton13

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SE
Boat Length
Thanks. Steering is just tight, so I’ll give it a shot. The boat stays on a lift, I’m surprised to be having this issue. Taking a look at it, replacing the cables looks pretty straight forward as maybe a plan b.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks. Steering is just tight, so I’ll give it a shot. The boat stays on a lift, I’m surprised to be having this issue. Taking a look at it, replacing the cables looks pretty straight forward as maybe a plan b.
Good luck.

Replacing is not a small job but it’s not too bad. It took me several months to get a cable last year.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

2015 SX210

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OMG, just found this thread after centering my steering wheel. Turning to the right was a two hand job. Just bought the material at Menards for $30 and spent about an hour from start to finish. The steering wheel turns like a new boat now both directions!!!

Attachments

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
OMG, just found this thread after centering my steering wheel. Turning to the right was a two hand job. Just bought the material at Menards for $30 and spent about an hour from start to finish. The steering wheel turns like a new boat now both directions!!!
How was pumping the 90w oil, any difficulties due to thickness? I bought the Star Brite 90w gear oil and I am plan on doing this Sunday after we get back from using the boat. This is the fitting I made yesterday for the 3/8” ID hose. I have a new steering cable in my boat and figure a once a month lubrication isn’t a bad idea. Might be a little over kill, but beats the downtime waiting for a new cable again. I wish Yamaha did a better job designing a way to lubricate the cable from the helm and push water out opposed to pushing water in further. Let gravity work in our favor.
55FFD5D9-96D2-4FBD-8865-E4CC0A5D794D.jpeg

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

2015 SX210

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How was pumping the 90w oil, any difficulties due to thickness? I bought the Star Brite 90w gear oil and I am plan on doing this Sunday after we get back from using the boat. This is the fitting I made yesterday for the 3/8” ID hose. I have a new steering cable in my boat and figure a once a month lubrication isn’t a bad idea. Might be a little over kill, but beats the downtime waiting for a new cable again. I wish Yamaha did a better job designing a way to lubricate the cable from the helm and push water out opposed to pushing water in further. Let gravity work in our favor.
View attachment 185119
No issues at all, it actually went really fast. Probably pumped in 2-3oz at most in each cable.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It seems like if your cables aren’t already screwed any type of oil will go in just fine.

If they are screwed it doesn’t matter how thin of a fluid you use, it won’t go in.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
It seems like if your cables aren’t already screwed any type of oil will go in just fine.

If they are screwed it doesn’t matter how thin of a fluid you use, it won’t go in.
Agreed, I couldn't push water into my old cable if I tried.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Agreed I cant even get penetrating oil in my starboard side. Im chancing a few more trips out before I order since everyone is out of stock anyway.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Agreed I cant even get penetrating oil in my starboard side. Im chancing a few more trips out before I order since everyone is out of stock anyway.
I tried same thing.

I’d get your order in so you’re in line if you can spare the cash. Mine took 6 mos or something. I don’t think they’ll just suddenly have extra stock at places anytime soon. These cables seem to be a common problem.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I was able to warranty mine out from the manufacture and replaced it myself. The dealer said they have had boats on the lot for replacement cables since November 2021 with no ETA. Same went for mine, but I did my own leg work from help on the forum and am back is business.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was able to warranty mine out from the manufacture and replaced it myself. The dealer said they have had boats on the lot for replacement cables since November 2021 with no ETA. Same went for mine, but I did my own leg work from help on the forum and am back is business.
You got lucky. My boat was a little too old and my extended warranty declined it.

Hopefully @lazergeek will have better luck.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You got lucky. My boat was a little too old and my extended warranty declined it.

Hopefully @lazergeek will have better luck.
Partzilla had stock a month ago but I was dealing with getting my broken spark plug fixed at that time, now they are saying 60 days eta for the part. Dealer says its a wear item so warranty wont cover since im over a year since delivery.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Partzilla had stock a month ago but I was dealing with getting my broken spark plug fixed at that time, now they are saying 60 days eta for the part. Dealer says its a wear item so warranty wont cover since im over a year since delivery.
That’s not true. Call Yamaha in Tennessee. It’s a parts and workmanship issue for components under the 5yr warranty from Yamaha, I called and questioned it when the dealer told me my steering cable wouldn’t be covered under warranty. Yamaha was very quick to tell me otherwise.