• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do you guys ever clean the Water box?

tahmad575

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello Everyone,

Just curious if anyone cleans out the exhaust water box's and if its a good practice to do so?
I have a Yamaha twin engine 2005 sx230 and have cleaned out the water box's, only thing I found in the water that came out of the box's was about a table spoon of fine sand that came out from each box.
The reason I took the water box's out was because I wanted to see if there was any fuel or oil leaking out of the engine into the exhaust system since last year I damaged both my ECU's
Let me know if you guys know of any pro's or con's for cleaning the water box's
Thanks!

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How did you get them out of the bilge area? I can’t seem to solve the puzzle of removing from my 2007 sx230.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sorry, I’ve never heard of anybody cleaning the water boxes and don’t recall seeing anything about cleaning them in the owners manual or the shop manual.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ve been Jetskiing for 30 years and jet boating for close to 20, I’ve never cleaned a water box as part of regular maintenance and only shook a few out while working on the ski they were in and never had one fail on me.

Getting to and reinstalling the water boxes in yamaha jet boats is made easier if you can get liquid soap into the joints where ever metal meets rubber.

Last edited:

tahmad575

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies I was just curious and wanted to know what deposits, if any were in the box's

@mark_m the starboard side was relatively easy to take out in a couple minutes but the port is tricky I removed the big pump clean out rubber pipe (make sure to seal it back up properly, I use 3M 5200) after that's out of the way it's just a matter of trying different angles to get it out

I mainly wanted to do a leak test and check all the thru hull connections so taking the water box's out cleared up a bunch of space

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was able to finesse out the water box on the starboard side to get unfettered access to the bilge. I hope I can reinstall it!AE36EEDD-3CE7-4D96-825A-CA5FADBF3CE2.jpeg1C835A60-DC2E-46A4-B63C-DD1B65E5F3B0.jpeg

tahmad575

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Awesome work 👍
Your bilge looks alot cleaner than mine I spent a few hours trying to clean that area out lol
I installed a new transducer so waiting for the 3M 5200 to cure then doing a leak test before I put everything back in

tahmad575

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lol the replies 🤣
I'm curious as to what would happen if you delete the waterbox and straight pipe it assuming you use the same exit exhaust hole on the boat, would doing so flood the engine?
*Hypothetical question*

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lol the replies 🤣
I'm curious as to what would happen if you delete the waterbox and straight pipe it assuming you use the same exit exhaust hole on the boat, would doing so flood the engine?
*Hypothetical question*
Get er done! Get some glass packs! Better yet, why not go thru the side and get some Captain Call’s?
kidding...

I love the V8 sound for the truck or the 350 in my wife’s corvette, but the mr-1 sings and I love it and wouldn’t change it for the world.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I removed the big pump clean out rubber pipe (make sure to seal it back up properly, I use 3M 5200)
Just going down the rabbit hole of a few threads, which lead me to this one.

Am I understanding you correctly, you sealed the cleanout port tube - the rubber tube that connects to that - with 5200?

I have no idea if I'm understanding you correctly, or if you're explaining it correctly, or if that 5200 is gonna be a cast iron bitch to get off if you ever need to remove it, or...I just have so many concerns for something that's happened damn near a year ago!

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just going down the rabbit hole of a few threads, which lead me to this one.

Am I understanding you correctly, you sealed the cleanout port tube - the rubber tube that connects to that - with 5200?

I have no idea if I'm understanding you correctly, or if you're explaining it correctly, or if that 5200 is gonna be a cast iron bitch to get off if you ever need to remove it, or...I just have so many concerns for something that's happened damn near a year ago!
He must have a can of Marine Formula Debond.

20190522_153543.jpg

20190522_153940.jpg

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@tahmad575

the starboard side was relatively easy to take out in a couple minutes but the port is tricky I removed the big pump clean out rubber pipe (make sure to seal it back up properly, I use 3M 5200) after that's out of the way it's just a matter of trying different angles to get it out
The cleanout tubes should not be sealed, just clamped. They may have to be rotated and/or moved up or down or sideways to get the cleanout tray to fit in place.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@tahmad575

The cleanout tubes should not be sealed, just clamped. They may have to be rotated and/or moved up or down or sideways to get the cleanout tray to fit in place.
The bottom of the tubes do have silicone on them per the service manual. Not the top. You should not be able to move up, down or rotate.

20210115_071658.jpg

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@zipper I will go with that. Silicone is easy to remove unlike 5200. If the clean-out hose is removed, upon reinstallation it has to be adjusted so that the cleanout tray will fit in place.
Applying the silicone at the port and tray flanges takes place only after everything is known to fit. That is my understanding. As for Step #10, I only put the caps in place when I am on the water. Otherwise they always get stuck.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@zipper I will go with that. Silicone is easy to remove unlike 5200. If the clean-out hose is removed, upon reinstallation it has to be adjusted so that the cleanout tray will fit in place.
Applying the silicone at the port and tray flanges takes place only after everything is known to fit. That is my understanding. As for Step #10, I only put the caps in place when I am on the water. Otherwise they always get stuck.
I use a silicone spray a couple times in a 6 mo. season to keep them sliding freely. I like to leave them in. I don't want to be the guy at the ramp who forgets to put them in...failure to launch. They are out right now in Winter storage.
You are right, if they have been removed, the tubes, they will need to be realigned before the silicone sealant sets up.

Last edited:

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@zipper Here are mine. Clean-out caps I spray them before I go out. Yes, those are also my feet, LOL.

Dmajerus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello Everyone,

Just curious if anyone cleans out the exhaust water box's and if its a good practice to do so?
I have a Yamaha twin engine 2005 sx230 and have cleaned out the water box's, only thing I found in the water that came out of the box's was about a table spoon of fine sand that came out from each box.
The reason I took the water box's out was because I wanted to see if there was any fuel or oil leaking out of the engine into the exhaust system since last year I damaged both my ECU's
Let me know if you guys know of any pro's or con's for cleaning the water box's
Thanks!