• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Do you trailer your boat or have a slip?

Do you trailer your boat or have a slip?

• I leave my boat at a slip or dock for the season

Votes: 75 28.8%
  • I trailer my boat every time, like having it at home

Votes: 159 61.2%
  • Both, but mostly trailer

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Both, but mostly leave at a slip

Votes: 20 7.7%

• Total voters

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just put mine in a dry stack storage marina last week. I think I'm really going to like the valet service this year vs. trailering each time last year. This is assuming the attendants there do not beat my boat to death getting it in/out of the water....
I used dry stack before I sold my Yamaha. Loved it!! Called them an hour before I got there and it was already in the water when I got there. I'm sure if I would have paid a little more they would have had it uncovered and the bimini up too!

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Mostly wet slip on the lake in Malletts Bay. But do trailer to other lakes or other parts of the big lake, to clean hull during the season and to fuel up at a gas station. No fueling up allowed on the dock.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Trailer as I like being able to decide where to launch from, and lets me work on it at home etc. If/when I go bigger I will strongly consider high and dry though.

VONCE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Trailer for me. I'd love to wake up in the morning, walk down to my boat dock, lower my boat in the water, and drive my boat to get some breakfast with the wife. But instead, I live in a city where my neighbors can hear me fart and I store my boat in my back yard. :( It's nice having it close by so I can work on it though! One thing I miss about my runabout was how easy it was to tow and store. It was a 17 foot ski boat. I could back it into the garage with my car still parked in the garage. I had a few markers so I knew exactly where to go and when to stop. Rain, shine, dark, whatever. It was never too difficult and only took a few seconds. Didn't have to deal with a cover. Closed the garage and I was good til the next outing. The 210 is a little more of a chore. Guess I need a bigger garage, a bigger lake, a bigger... something.

T. Turner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I trailer my boat to several different lakes in DFW. But last Sunday when it took us an hour to hook up the boat and load up everything the wife turned to me and said the magic words, "We need a slip at the marina."

Unfortunately we will have to wait till next year when she is finshed with her Masters degree and we dont have to pay for classes anymore. So trailer for this year and we will reassess things at tbe beginning of next year.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I trailer my boat to several different lakes in DFW. But last Sunday when it took us an hour to hook up the boat and load up everything the wife turned to me and said the magic words, "We need a slip at the marina."

Unfortunately we will have to wait till next year when she is finshed with her Masters degree and we dont have to pay for classes anymore. So trailer for this year and we will reassess things at tbe beginning of next year.
We used to trailer all over Texas and Oklahoma and now have a slip and lift at Highport on Texoma. Now I don't even like thinking about trailering!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was going to dry stack this year but my wife convinced me to wetslip so if we decide to hang out late with other folks at the marina we can. Also if after dinner we decide to go for a quick sunset cruise with some wine we can ( with the marina 8 minutes down the road).

The two big upsides to trailering is fueling on the way for cheap while avoiding marina lines and easy cleaning after every outing. The biggest downside to trailering once you get good at it is busy ramps. Shoot even just one person who does not have a clue can make the ramp a test of patience.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Trailered last year, and really didn't mind it that much with the exception of a few times. Just put boat in wet slip the other week for this season. Going to give it a try and compare the two. Biggest negative I have seen so far is not having the boat at home to clean and work on. I am going to pull it here in a few weeks so I can install tower speakers at my house. The slip is nice because we can hop in car at anytime and head down to the marina and the boat is ready to go. I went out on the boat the other day by myself, and that would of been a pain if I had to trailer.

IMG_5773.jpg

eticket

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I started with the idea that I would trailer, but after a few trips trying to find parking around a crowded metro lake and getting the boat back into the garage (212x "old" tower) it soon became clear that we were not going to use the boat much without a better mousetrap. I rented a private dock the last two seasons, huge improvement but still some downside as there was no lift and being wet brings some extra maintenance with it and concern about batteries/bilge pump function, etc. The private slip was not available this year so instead I signed up with a marina for warehouse rack service. It is damn expensive but should be super convenient to have the boat ready to go when I show up (versus dealing with my mooring cover first). I will also have access to a bathroom, gas and ice right there. The downside is now I can't work on the boat during the season unless I pull it home.

I can't wait for the season to start and to end my first trip by tying up to the dock and walking away!

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Currently we trailer as we live about 30 min north of our ramp into the local waters. (ICW and Gulf of Mexico). Nice to have the boat at home for general care & maintenance.

But we are looking at buying a condo when our current home sells - a condo with a boat lift. Would be very nice to have the boat right there and as @Mainah @MattFX4 mentioned we are wanting that last minute ability. (and I wouldn't mind that solo option either).

Would still need the trailer close though as we like to travel to PCB, FL a few times a year to hang out with family and take the boats out.

tocelli

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Have always trailered in the past as we lived about an hour from the lake. Now we are moving from Kentucky to North Dallas area and we will be 15 minutes from the marina so will be in a slip on a lift. Looking forward to being so much closer and using the boat more this year. Should be easier to go and just go for a cruise in the evenings.

Bob S

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I may be late to this post but it has been very interesting. I dry stack my boat. Indoors all the time when I not using it keeps it cleaner. I call ahead and it's in the water when I get there. When I'm done, I pull up to the dock, put the cover on and they put it I my spot until I come back. My HOA doesn't allow for boats on the property's so I can't keep it a my house anyway. I may sound spoiled but it is very convenient.

ENC boater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First 2 years wet slipped, cleaning was tough. Found a lot on creek and installed a lift, awesome set up now. Lift is way to go .

Dodi5

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I may be late to this post but it has been very interesting. I dry stack my boat. Indoors all the time when I not using it keeps it cleaner. I call ahead and it's in the water when I get there. When I'm done, I pull up to the dock, put the cover on and they put it I my spot until I come back. My HOA doesn't allow for boats on the property's so I can't keep it a my house anyway. I may sound spoiled but it is very convenient.
Which marina is that at

Yammi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Wet slip and take it out and trailer home about once a month to deep clean. The marina does high pressure washing for $40 and I give it a scrub when I’m at the sandbar. My slip has power and water so I keep my batteries plugged in.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
haven't used the trailer since i brought the boat home from little havana 6 years ago... boat lives on davits most of the time and swings in to its bunk when required.... takes 10 min from bunk to water takes a 3-5 minutes to drop it in the water from its normal location... I dont know if i could use a boat that I had to trailer every time... was out on the boat this afternoon...

attachment - 2022-06-20T113952.084.jpgattachment - 2022-06-20T114014.263.jpgattachment - 2022-11-10T105842.351.jpgattachment - 2022-12-29T165758.081.jpgattachment - 2023-01-18T184150.789.jpg

Dodi5

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Wet slip and take it out and trailer home about once a month to deep clean. The marina does high pressure washing for $40 and I give it a scrub when I’m at the sandbar. My slip has power and water so I keep my batteries plugged in.
May I ask where is your marina and how much is their rates ?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just completed my first boating season living near (one mile from my home to the boat ramp) but not on the water. I rented a slip from July through September. As a newbie to this I learned that it’s really difficult to clean the scum of the boat (it took me over four hours with a lot of chemicals and a pressure washer) and renting a slip from the marina is relatively expensive ($10 per foot per month, minimum 30 feet plus actual shore power costs or $12 per month whichever is higher). I hope to rent a slip or slips from a private party going forward and preference will be given to the parties that already have boat lifts installed. I need two for Waverunners and one for the boat.