• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Engine Issue

Bryan Chandler

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hello everyone,

I have a 2013 Yamaha ar 242. Both of my engines start and run well on its own but when I go to start the second one the first one started will run rough and throw a check engine code. It does not matter which sequence I start them in it always seems as if the second one started starves the first one long enough to throw a code and put it in limp mode.
What I have done so far:
I put fuel cleaner and a mix that removes water and ran a half a tank through.
I then changed the batteries

Neither of these worked. Seems like it would be something that goes to both engines.
Any ideas?
Thank you all

Hello everyone,

I have a 2013 Yamaha ar 242. Both of my engines start and run well on its own but when I go to start the second one the first one started will run rough and throw a check engine code. It does not matter which sequence I start them in it always seems as if the second one started starves the first one long enough to throw a code and put it in limp mode.
What I have done so far:
I put fuel cleaner and a mix that removes water and ran a half a tank through.
I then changed the batteries

Neither of these worked. Seems like it would be something that goes to both engines.
Any ideas?
Thank you all
You need to get the code that is putting it in limp mode. You need YDS. Where are you located. Maybe someone near you can lend it to you

Each engine has its own fuel pump so its not starving it from fuel

You need to get the code that is putting it in limp mode. You need YDS. Where are you located. Maybe someone near you can lend it to you

Each engine has its own fuel pump so its not starving it from fuel
I thought they only had the one fuel pump that they shared. I was thinking maybe the filter but not sure where that is located.

I thought they only had the one fuel pump that they shared. I was thinking maybe the filter but not sure where that is located.
No filter that is serviceable its part of the pump. Two pumps so thats not your issue

The first thought that came to mind was a loose or corroded ground, so you may want to check the main grounds to start with. Then start pulling multi pin connectors associated with the engine apart and check for corrosion.

Do you boat in salt or fresh water?
How many hours on the engines?
When did this problem start? Was there an event or incident associated with the onset of this problem?

There is something in the electrics that’s being affected by the starting transient voltage from the second starter, what do you see your start battery voltage go to when the starter motor is engaged?

The only thing in common on both engines that could cause an electronic problem is the Batt wires to the on/off switch and some common ground wires...............corroded grounds or red + could struggle with the amp draw of the second engine.

Hope this helps

Dang FSH you type faster than me.....LOL

Just for a test try closing the bypass switch and see if that has an affect on your problem.

Question, do you keep your batteries on a charger?

The first thought that came to mind was a loose or corroded ground, so you may want to check the main grounds to start with. Then start pulling multi pin connectors associated with the engine apart and check for corrosion.

Do you boat in salt or fresh water?
How many hours on the engines?
When did this problem start? Was there an event or incident associated with the onset of this problem?

There is something in the electrics that’s being affected by the starting transient voltage from the second starter, what do you see your start battery voltage go to when the starter motor is engaged?
I use the boat in brackish water but keep it on a trailer and clean and flush it after ever use. The engines are sitting around 425 hours. I think the problem started around 8 months ago but got worse. No specific event.

I would bypass the main batt switch and run positive……negative direct and fire her up. Be carefull never had to run a bypass on main switch…….had one go bad and replaced it
Just for a test try closing the bypass switch and see if that has an affect on your problem.

Question, do you keep your batteries on a charger?
I will have to figure out how to do that. The batteries are brand new though. I am getting a solar trickle charger but as of now they are not being charged.

I will have to figure out how to do that. The batteries are brand new though. I am getting a solar trickle charger but as of now they are not being charged.
Okay I assumed your boat came with the BEP marine battery switch that has the paralleling switch built in.

Do you not have the ability to charge your batteries with a120 VAC powered charger?

update: so I was able to get a cheap laptop to run yds and it showed to older codes with one being 144. This is a low voltage. I removed the code and everything started up ok on land. I will get it out this weekend fingers crossed. Thank you alll for the help.

update: so I was able to get a cheap laptop to run yds and it showed to older codes with one being 144. This is a low voltage. I removed the code and everything started up ok on land. I will get it out this weekend fingers crossed. Thank you alll for the help.
Cool. I assume that this starting issue was happening on land before?

A solar charger will probably not charge your batteries sufficiently, you need to install an onboard charger and leave it plugged in between uses.

Might also be a good idea to check and see if you have a voltage drain happening somewhere. A while back this was happening to one of our members here and he finally found that the light was on in the head compartment.

Good luck on the test!

LOL......... FHS 21....... that light in the potty kicked my back side when I first got my Yamaha.

Back