• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Exhaust port, exposed fiberglass

porterwagen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Brand new boat second time out, cleaning and wiping down. Noticed a dangling silicone ring, which, upon searching is normal, I pulled it out.
many members are commenting on the exposed fiberglass. Is this normal? Any advice or any knowledge? Any pics to see for comparison?
Thanks!

Attachments

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I would normally lean towards no it shouldn’t look like that, but mine looks the same.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yours looks far rougher, but when I took a closer look and blew up your pics, it looks like it's not the fiberglass that's rough, but that they used some sort of sealant, and that it's the leftover that came out, or what they left after wiping it down. If you're really concerned, you could use some 4200 or 5200 to seal up your edges. The issue would be anything exposed sucking up water.

You're right, lots look like that. Nobody's shown damage, so there's not been many threads or info on the subject. Wanna be a pioneer? :winkingthumbsup"

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If it were me, I would apply some epoxy resin to the raw edge. Don't know if that hole saw cut was sealed at the factory or if they used hydrophobic VE (vinylester) epoxy resin in the mix or PE (polyester). Unsealed fiberglass edges can, with a different type of resin, soak up water and delaminate over time.
After sealing by brushing some epoxy on the edge, 3m 4200 can be applied to finish below the waterline.

Last edited: