• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First Boat - Yamaha 2021 255XD Finally Arrives!

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
One other VERY important thing. Always flush your engine for 5 minutes with fresh water each engine. Then one minute at the end with salt away then turn it off and bump throttle one small time to blow out excess water let it run for 5 seconds then turn it off. This will save you from major salt corrosion down the line and expensive repairs.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Nice! Is the owner of the Blue 255XD also a member on here, or do you know? Yes, we stayed in Broad Bay for the test drive. Looking forward to exploring, so I will have to check that out. I know our boats have GPS, but I think I'm going to invest in a chart plotter, or at least Navionics on my phone, until I learn all the waterways and how/where to navigate.
Haven’t talked to him just seen him a few times not sure if he’s a member here.

David.Parrish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
One other VERY important thing. Always flush your engine for 5 minutes with fresh water each engine. Then one minute at the end with salt away then turn it off and bump throttle one small time to blow out excess water let it run for 5 seconds then turn it off. This will save you from major salt corrosion down the line and expensive repairs.
This is one thing I did A LOT of reading on - and one thing that I will say Lynnhaven went over pretty thoroughly/with me after the test drive as part of delivery. Looks like the rest of the boat got the "fresh water treatment" in the storms.... :rolleyes:

What about the rest of the boat? I will definitely have it moved to the wash racks after use to wash/hose it down - but how quickly does salt eat at things like the snaps?

Also, should I be spraying down the inside of the engine compartment after each use/when cleaning? Seems I went for the trifecta... new boat, new area, never been in salt... What could go wrong?!?

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I don’t spray engine compartment but I do spray it and clean out plugs with 6-56 silicone spray. I pretty much spray the entire boat top to bottom with salt away then rinse after a few minutes. Then flush and dry boat off. Sometimes I scrub with car soap with carnuba wax and a wash mit if it’s really grimy on the bottom. Most of the time you can spray whole boat with one cap full of salt away. Salt is very corrosive I wouldn’t let it sit on boat for days and weeks.

David.Parrish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I don’t spray engine compartment but I do spray it and clean out plugs with 6-56 silicone spray. I pretty much spray the entire boat top to bottom with salt away then rinse after a few minutes. Then flush and dry boat off. Sometimes I scrub with car soap with carnuba wax and a wash mit if it’s really grimy on the bottom. Most of the time you can spray whole boat with one cap full of salt away. Salt is very corrosive I wouldn’t let it sit on boat for days and weeks.
Sounds like an immediate/definite excuse to not just call tomorrow, but get out on the water, and then wash down!

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, you are going to want to spend 10 mins or so and spray every hose clamp you can find in the engine bay with CorrosionX, CorrosionX HD, or an alternative like CRC 6-56. This will keep the salt from eating up your clamps.

Also, in the bilge (there should be an access tray by the clean out plugs), stick you phone down there and shoot a video for reference, then try to spray down all the clamps you can find (thru hull, too and bottom of the clean out ports, exhaust -aka waterbox).

CorrosionX HD is rather tacky and will keep a nice coating that should protect for the majority or your season. I find their standard product to be run a bit, but a little goes a long way.

As @NewBoater suggested Salt Away/SaltOff is great for flushing the engines and rinsing down the boat.

David.Parrish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Yes, you are going to want to spend 10 mins or so and spray every hose clamp you can find in the engine bay with CorrosionX, CorrosionX HD, or an alternative like CRC 6-56. This will keep the salt from eating up your clamps.

Also, in the bilge (there should be an access tray by the clean out plugs), stick you phone down there and shoot a video for reference, then try to spray down all the clamps you can find (thru hull, too and bottom of the clean out ports, exhaust -aka waterbox).

CorrosionX HD is rather tacky and will keep a nice coating that should protect for the majority or your season. I find their standard product to be run a bit, but a little goes a long way.

As @NewBoater suggested Salt Away/SaltOff is great for flushing the engines and rinsing down the boat.
@VitaminSea - thanks! I will check these out. Sounds like you don’t need to do every time inside the engine compartment - just once or so a season?

For washing the boat with SaltAway, can I use the same garden hose attachment to get the proper mix?

David.Parrish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Beautiful boat @David.Parrish I saw you on the water on your test drive! We were in a Black and Red 242X E Series, not sure if you’ve seen us out. The blue version of your boat is stored on a lift right around the corner from the boatel. Yours and his I think are the only 255XD’s in the Va Beach area.

Here’s a few pics taken today, I hope your not paying for inside storage as its been outside on a rack since you drove it last. It’s up safe and high outside.
@NewBoater - any idea what kind of damage no cover like this for a week+ now would have on a new boat?

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@NewBoater - any idea what kind of damage no cover like this for a week+ now would have on a new boat?
Honestly people leave their boat out all year. That’s just not me. You should be good. Like you said rain prolly washed off a lot of the salt. I would pull plug (don’t forget to put it back in) then turn bilge on see how much water is in engine bay that comes out. Peek in see if there’s a lot. I believe also that their indoor storage is cheaper so I would get a break back in the money that you have paid them or ask for a free 10 hour service or something like that. Maybe a break on price of the mooring cover. Leaving it out in rain when paying for indoors is not good.

Last edited:

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
@jocolo21 - I saw a post with your upgrades (they look amazing) - did you have to drill the dash for your Axion 7/was it complicated to install?

*cough* I’m not the most mechanically inclined *cough*
Only holes were for the screws and sealed em with silicone, what i did what lossened the dashcover and routed the cables thru the gap, also i seales the dashboard the the back as there is a gap and let water slip into to storage behind the helm.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For washing the boat with SaltAway, can I use the same garden hose attachment to get the proper mix?
Yep, same mixing canister. I also keep the engine flushing attachment on, as it produces a rather powerful pressurized stream of water. If you feel you’re using more salt-away then you care to on the boat, using a quality boat wash/shampoo will work as well. Everyone has a different approach to cleaning their boat - some scrub the entire interior/exterior after each outing, some do a quick rinse, and a “major cleaning” a few times a season. Just have to see what works for you.

Don’t know if you treated your vinyl. 303 makes a great product for UV protection, there are others as well.

Enjoy your new toy!

dwillson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Awesome looking boat! Love the grey topside gelcoat with the black.

dwillson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Thank you, me too! Will be curious to see how hard it is to keep clean!
I am kind of clean lines guy, so I would remove the grey graphics down the sides and the SVHO and 255x lettering. Leaving a clean black/grey boat with the lime green stripe at the water line. Then I would put a large chrome "YAMAHA" raised lettering toward the back above the water line with a raise chrome Yamaha logo to the left of the wording. Similar to the 252 S/SE/SD. So I would basically turn it into a black/grey/lime green looking S/SE/SD.

David.Parrish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I am kind of clean lines guy, so I would remove the grey graphics down the sides and the SVHO and 255x lettering. Leaving a clean black/grey boat with the lime green stripe at the water line. Then I would put a large chrome "YAMAHA" raised lettering toward the back above the water line with a raise chrome Yamaha logo to the left of the wording. Similar to the 252 S/SE/SD. So I would basically turn it into a black/grey/lime green looking S/SE/SD.
I like this idea!

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sounds like a cool idea but I personally love the graphics on the side. Love the SVHO let’s everyone know your supercharged! I’m hoping they make this exact boat in black and red over next few years and that will more than likely be our next boat. No rush though as we love the 242X!

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I took off all the decals, I actually hated the High Output graphics. Whos gives a chit that your boat is High output. Once it was clean the people that do the graphics for my trucks saw it and suggested the Evil logo, figured why not do a little cool advertising

David.Parrish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
The narrows beach (seashore state park) like your headed fo Cavalier golf and yacht club it’s on the left. It’s the happening place on the weekends. Tons of boats there. You can beach it but there’s always the chance for slight scratches. I normally beach mine it’s pretty soft sand. You will see myself and the new blue boat like yours on the weekends there for sure. I’ve already seen him there about 2-3 times. They wakesurf and wakeboard like us almost every weekend out in the main bay. Probably where most of your text drive was out in the bay with the houses on both sides.
You ever take your boat out into the Bay? How does it hold up with the size/waves? I have friends over towards Gloucester Point/Yorktown Beach, but that seems like a lot of open water and navigation. Definitely not a trip I would tackle alone or anytime soon, but I was curious if you tend to stay more in Broad Bay/The Narrows, or venture out.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You ever take your boat out into the Bay? How does it hold up with the size/waves? I have friends over towards Gloucester Point/Yorktown Beach, but that seems like a lot of open water and navigation. Definitely not a trip I would tackle alone or anytime soon, but I was curious if you tend to stay more in Broad Bay/The Narrows, or venture out.
We stay in the Narrows and Broad bay but I’ve been out in the ocean and it does good and handles light chop well but would not go out there on a very windy day or if you see white caps out there once you get close to the bridge. It’s a quick turn around if the ocean is not calm. Important to keep the bow up and Rpms up even at low speed so water is not crashing over bow

David.Parrish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Hey @NewBoater, thanks for saying hey and thank you for the heads up… I’m definitely paying for indoor storage! Especially since I am still waiting on my cover! I bet that means it was out in the storms…. 😤. Will be calling Max in the AM!

That’s awesome that you saw me out - I’ll be honest - I definitely had tunnel vision - overwhelmed to say the least!

Are you local? I assume so based on the pics. Would love to learn the waterways - and mostly how I actually get premium gas since I’m at the boatel and I don’t think they have anything but 89?
Rumor has it, my boat is now inside. Drain plug was pulled and I did request they wash it since it was left outside - which they did. And offered some $$ back.