• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First oil change at 10 hours

centurysouth

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Hey everyone, we bought a Yamaha 195S and the first oil change is supposed to be at 10 hours but the dealers are so busy in the summer so its hard to get in. My question is how close to the 10 hours do we need to be? Will we be OK at 20-25 hours before the first oil change? Any advice would be appreciated

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do it yourself. It is too easy. I did the 10 hour on my waverunner and do the annual oil change on my boat.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I would suggest you do it the right way and change the oil as close to the 10hr mark as possible. If you go over to 11-12 hrs you would be fine, but to go double or more of the 10hr interval would suggest negligence. The reason to change at the 10hr interval is to remove all the break in oil contaminants that would other wise be cycling through your oil system and creating rapid wear on mechanical parts. I understand the frustration with wanting to run the boat and dealers being busy, but setting a standard for proper maintenance is very important as well. If you really want to use the boat without delay I would check out the hundreds of DIY oil change videos and postings on this forum. It is well worth it to have the capability of doing this maintenance yourself.

drober30

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
Just did my own 10 hour change, it was very easy! I had the fluid extractor already, the two oil change kits only cost me $95.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll second doing it yourself. The extractor+oil+filter is about the cost of the 10hr dealer service. It's not difficult and only take a few hours if you are extra-super-double meticulous about it. If you're in a rush and are sloppy it might take an hour.

Also check the owners manual for the other items that are checking/adjusted/lubricated at the 10hr service. It's not just an oil change.

Bucky Boater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I'll second doing it yourself. The extractor+oil+filter is about the cost of the 10hr dealer service. It's not difficult and only take a few hours if you are extra-super-double meticulous about it. If you're in a rush and are sloppy it might take an hour.

Also check the owners manual for the other items that are checking/adjusted/lubricated at the 10hr service. It's not just an oil change.
It takes a few hours for an oil change, or are you thinking total time to do the full 10 hour punch list? I bought the extractor and oil/filter package and was assuming it would take more like a half hour/45 minutes.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
When I did my 10 hours, heres the list that I did.

Oil/Filter Change
Checked air filter
Checked all clamps for tightness and lubricated all with yamalube including engine.
Checked all bolts i can see to make sure its tight.
Washed down bilge from excess fiber glass/debris.
Go inside the center console and lubricated all electrical connections.

Hope it helps!

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It takes a few hours for an oil change, or are you thinking total time to do the full 10 hour punch list? I bought the extractor and oil/filter package and was assuming it would take more like a half hour/45 minutes.
Get the engine warm first, it will extract much faster with warm oil as compared to cold oil. Run it on the hose for 10-15min at high idle (No Wake Mode #2 setting works well), and it will be nice and thin and extract quickly.

If you count moving, levelling, uncovering, getting tools out, putting tools away and putting boat back, you might be at 2hrs. Even then, it's a dead simple and relatively quick process.

Bucky Boater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Get the engine warm first, it will extract much faster with warm oil as compared to cold oil. Run it on the hose for 10-15min at high idle (No Wake Mode #2 setting works well), and it will be nice and thin and extract quickly.

If you count moving, levelling, uncovering, getting tools out, putting tools away and putting boat back, you might be at 2hrs. Even then, it's a dead simple and relatively quick process.
Got it. Thanks!

Emptytemples

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I did my 10 hours, heres the list that I did.

Oil/Filter Change
Checked air filter
Checked all clamps for tightness and lubricated all with yamalube including engine.
Checked all bolts i can see to make sure its tight.
Washed down bilge from excess fiber glass/debris.
Go inside the tower and lubricated all electrical connections.

Hope it helps!
Roy, how did you lubricate inside of the tower?
Imagining my kids, shrunk, with a few miniature tubes of dielectric grease. Good Luck in there!
1689094367109.png

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The wires are in the towers, but most of the connections should be external. Dielectric grease is what I am assuming.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’ll take a guess that @fatboyroy meant the inside of the center console where you can gain access to all of the electrical switches and such…