• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First trip with the boat!! The good, the bad, and the embarrassing

jamesk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would have guide posts on my trailer but I don't have room.
I park my boat in my garage and I have 1" of room on the one side of my garage.
Something else to consider, my last boat had guide posts....I kept running into issues when I would unload the boat with lines attached to the cleats, they would get caught around the posts.
Loading the boat back onto the trailer if I had bumpers out they would also get caught on the posts.
I solo load and unload so I am stuck using the dock lines and bumpers attached to the boat when I unload.
By all means the guide posts do help centering the boat.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have yet to solo it. With Salmon season on the horizon, that day is approaching when I will need to do so. I probably should start practicing myself. You do make some great points.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I would have guide posts on my trailer but I don't have room.
I park my boat in my garage and I have 1" of room on the one side of my garage.
Something else to consider, my last boat had guide posts....I kept running into issues when I would unload the boat with lines attached to the cleats, they would get caught around the posts.
Loading the boat back onto the trailer if I had bumpers out they would also get caught on the posts.
I solo load and unload so I am stuck using the dock lines and bumpers attached to the boat when I unload.
By all means the guide posts do help centering the boat.
The bumper issue is minimal - buy tall guides and they'll have enough give to work the bumpers around them.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
For new wakeboarders its slow and gradual acceleration. New riders always try to stand early. Soon as the boat starts pulling, they try to stand up, the board sinks, and then they get pulled under. Some people don't take advice well and they'll do this for hours. What they need to do is focus on board position and try to lift the leading edge of the board on TOP of the water and the board will lift you out of the water. I bet your girls will figure it out faster as women seem to follow direction better. Where as men don't seem to listen. Like the words go in 1 ear and out the other.

Experienced riders, just hammer the throttle and they'll stand up.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I load and unload solo all the time with the guides. I just pre set the bumpers and lines up, once the boat is clear of the trailer I deploy them. Same loading, just take them off before I get on the trailer. I did forget about a dock line once that ended up under the trailer tires. Ruined the line, luckily didn’t damage any fiberglass around the cleat.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I find If I go too deep with the trailer, it loads easy but many times it does not sit on the trailer correctly and I have to redo it and that is a real hassle.
I like to winch the last 5-10'....it's a lot of cranking but I get the best results that way.
Sounds similar to us, but maybe with less hard cranking.

My wife and I always hand load the boat. I found a 2-step process works for us and always loads up well centered. First I back the trailer in to dunk the bunks and get them wet (boat slides on easier), then pull up till the first bunks are just peeking out of the water (fender tops are out of the water). This keeps the bunks high enough to help guide the boat onto the trailer when pulling it on with the dock lines. Then I attach the winch strap and crank it on about 4-5 feet or so. Then I quickly jump into the truck and push the trailer back a foot or so to float the boat a bit more, and then winch the rest of the way. Works well every time and we're usually out of the water and putting the cover on before the other guys have finished centering their boats on the trailer. No need for guide posts doing it this way and no need to worry about the jetpump intakes sucking up debris from the shallow ramp with a power load.

Launching is just as easy, back it in till the fenders are under the water, pull back up till the fenders are out of the water (wets the bunks again), then unhook the boat while the wife holds the dock lines, jump back in and back up about a foot and stop - the boat slides right off and my pretty wife ties it up while I go park. Easy peasy.

NB - we've been doing this for years and we have it down pat - we get compliments from many onlookers and other boaters who say we make it look easy. Practice makes perfect. Don't mean to brag...ok, I'm bragging a little...but it really is that easy.
:D
Now doing it solo is a different story, and to be honest, with a brand new $60k boat I'm not taking any chances by myself.

PS - wearing shorts and Crocs makes this easier too, no need to stand on the trailer to keep dry.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Trying to launch by myself on our launch, I am thinking that a super high value addition to the boat are the anchor locker SeaDek pieces.

Almost busted my ass trying to get in the boat from the trailer, gave myself a nice goose egg on the ankle that I hit when I slipped off! Looking at adding that VERY soon, or at least stripping off the Rejex from that area to see if that's enough to keep my fat ass in place!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am going to put the seadek on the anchor locker and the sides of the anchor locker this fall. I beached the boat since one of the kids needed to use restroom at launch. Had someone start backing it off the land while I lifted up a bit and and then I jump on the anchor locker slipped down and into the water. Whole boat launch got a pretty good laugh. It is way to smooth for me.