• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Florida relocate question

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
3 rooker was our hangout place when i lived in tarpon springs growing up

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
3 rooker was our hangout place when i lived in tarpon springs growing up
Ours too! Was our favorite spot. Went there all the time. It's where our oldest learned to walk.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Didn’t look much but 13 acres, right by i75/i4....500k for a 3/2. pretty central between Clearwater beach and Orlando, but fairly short drive to down town Tampa.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
All my family is in Palm Beach County. What is the best part of Florida for a single guy, that does engineering for high rise buildings, and has a boat? I've only been to PBC, but I think that Orlando and Miami would be the 2 places that I need to visit.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
All my family is in Palm Beach County. What is the best part of Florida for a single guy, that does engineering for high rise buildings, and has a boat? I've only been to PBC, but I think that Orlando and Miami would be the 2 places that I need to visit.
Check out Power Design in St.Pete. My step dad works there and the company is awesome with tons of perks.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Check out Power Design in St.Pete. My step dad works there and the company is awesome with tons of perks.
Thank you it's exactly what i'm looking for. I need to do research to find companies like this. All the companies in NYC do residential work and they squeeze us for every penny. "awesome with tons of perks" is not how people describe companies here.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Tampa fort Lauderdale Miami all big markets.

If anyone does IT head hunting recruiting whatever I can prob get you into job in fort Lauderdale at least the interview

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Tampa fort Lauderdale Miami all big markets.

If anyone does IT head hunting recruiting whatever I can prob get you into job in fort Lauderdale at least the interview
Fort Lauderdale seems nice. Anything for electrical design engineers for high-rise buildings?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Thank you it's exactly what i'm looking for. I need to do research to find companies like this. All the companies in NYC do residential work and they squeeze us for every penny. "awesome with tons of perks" is not how people describe companies here.
Well for starters they employ a large portion of Bucs cheerleaders. They have a full size gym on hand. They have a suite for the Lightning that is basically first come first serve. They have adopt a puppy days, where they pay for everything. They give out raffle tickets for hitting group goals. At the end of the year they raffle out prizes within the group, I think top prizes are all expenses paid trip to some foreign place of your choice, other wise cash prizes up to 5k. They have a second floor break room full of arcades and pool tables. That’s just stuff he has told me, I am sure more. I am trying to get my wife in there in an HR role. It’s between two bridges to Tampa so great location, I think they have a location in Miami as well.

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
So, those of you that live in Florida ... what made you decide to live on the Gulf side over the ocean side - or vice versa?

My family has vacationed since my childhood to Ft Myers Beach annually. My wife and I were in St Pete’s Beach recently and got to wondering why we don’t live in FL.

Is boating different on one side over the other? Beaches different? I have no experience with the Eastern part of the state. (And very little experience with the gulf side outside of Ft Myers ) Jobs different? Demographics different (snow birds on one vs other)?

Thanks for a little insight. I’m not sure if we are actually considering this... but starting to wonder, if a person wanted to retire there and nothing is holding you down... why wait till retirement to live closer to paradise?

Edit: or any relocate south, actually. What was your thought process in determining where to go? How did you go about finding a job, before moving? Tks!!

My two cents worth. We vacationed both coasts and the panhandle before moving from Kentucky to Florida. Pros and cons with all places, but pros outweigh cons when it comes to living in Florida. We bought a house knowing we would retire two years later so we did not have to find new jobs. We wanted to live near the ocean for boating and fishing.

Panhandle is great but gets too cold for us in the winter and more expensive housing. We wanted to get entirely away from the cold. I enjoy snow, but now only on the ski slope.

East coast also great and the best deep sea fishing because the waters get deep a mile off shore and no red tide or algae. New Englanders tend to congregate on the east coast. Nothing wrong, just what our research shows.

We chose the Fort Myers area because of warm winters and close to Punta Gorda airport. Seems to attract the south/midwest crowd so less likely to poke fun at our southern accent. The summers are also great. No snowbirds, no waiting and the shallow gulf and bay fishing is great. You will have to go out 15 miles to get into 40' deep water. Typical daily rainstorms in the summer. The reason we wanted to be within reach of Punta Gorda airport is Alligient Air. Small, easy and relaxed airport with inexpensive flights on new planes to family in KY, TN and NC. From Litchhfield you could fly out of Springfield or Belleville. Cons for this area is the nasty red tide and algae but none so far. Keeping my fingers crossed we will not see a repeat of last year.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Fort Lauderdale seems nice. Anything for electrical design engineers for high-rise buildings?
I'm not sure they do mainly bank IT people out of their Charlotte office. Send me your email I'll forward over to my step dad and he can reach out. He has been with them 20 years so would know what that market specializes in.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The reason we wanted to be within reach of Punta Gorda airport is Alligient Air. Small, easy and relaxed airport with inexpensive flights on new planes to family in KY, TN and NC. From Litchhfield you could fly out of Springfield or Belleville. Cons for this area is the nasty red tide and algae but none so far. Keeping my fingers crossed we will not see a repeat of last year.
Actually, flying into St Pete on Allegiant from Belleville on Monday for a work conference. Not sure if we will take the opportunity to explore or not. The wife is going with me, and kids are staying with grandma. We are meeting a friend for dinner south of Orlando for dinner one night.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Tarpon springs.. cool little town check out I think its Pete's shrimp shack or something to that name been years since ove beem down there.

Jakester1967

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Back in 2010 I was living in the northern panhandle of W.V. and was sick and tired of the cold, so we headed south - made it as far as N.C. (best job offer all things considered at the time). 8 years later, we were still cold, so we made sure to do it right this time. Simultaneously decided it was time to do my own thing, so that made location a bit easier. We fell in love with the small town feel of P.G. here, don't really care for many of the big cities. No experience with the east coast, my limited time there has always seemed dirtier I guess. We're only 60 days into it so far, but we're completely infatuated with all of it. 88 today and sunny, and it seems like that's just what it is every day. I can deal with the heat, I can't stand the cold. I'll never move back up north. We were boating sunday. We'll be jet skiing this weekend. No regrets.
PG is awesome...my parents have a home there so i get to escape the craziness of Miami...

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
PG is awesome...my parents have a home there so i get to escape the craziness of Miami...
I see myself heading to the same living arrangements. Moving to Miami or Fort Lauderdale and escape the craziness to my family in PBG. I'm single and 1 year to 30 so I am thinking it's now or never. NYC is brutal 24/7, but it's unbearable from November to March.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The Gulf Coast is much better, calmer, prettier and cheaper than the Atlantic Coast. I have lived in Panama City Beach for 30+ years and love it. We just had Michael blow through, and the beach faired well, Panama City and west got blown away. It will be years before that area is restored. If the storm would have been a little more to the west it would have been a different story.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’ve been really intrigued by Pensacola lately, actually. Never been there, but it appears to have retained a bit of small town feel that I’m partial to.

I realize the panhandle still has “winter”, but I’m not really opposed to a month or two of lows in the 40’s.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pensicula is very nice

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral