• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Florida relocate question

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Well I moved here from Mass in 1972 at 20 years old, I had no real idea that one part of Florida was any different than another part , I was just sure I was done with the snow and the ice. After being here many decades I can say there are so many different temperature ranges from one location to another I often wonder how it would be in the keys but for temperature and water I would not even think of moving one county north of where I live and maybe moving a few counties further south would be interesting but never to the east I love the Gulf and Tampa bay as long as that damn red tide stays away last summer it was horrible.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Was recently at St Pete’s Beach for a work conference. Beautiful water there, for sure!!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Was recently at St Pete’s Beach for a work conference. Beautiful water there, for sure!!
I agree! Took a ride up to Caladesi Island on Saturday. Stayed in the Gulf all the way up. Often forget how nice water is.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yea st pete beach to the skyway is my stomping ground

Attachments

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
On the way back, we stopped at The Pub for dinner. Always good there. Oysters were fantastic (best we've had in a longtime)

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Born and raised in New England. 25 years there. Avid hockey player and was an avid snowboarder. Spent my summers on the New Hampshire seacoast, bought a Sea Doo when I was 18 and dealt with the frigid temps as I loved being on the water. During college in MA, my aunt and uncle had moved to Florida. My girl and I would go visit them on spring break and we loved it. We spent most of our time on Clearwater Beach but also spent time in their local neighborhood and saw that regular people live normal lives in Tampa suburbs. Florida was not just disney world and the beach. I loved it so much and was so sick of the cold, I said screw it, when I graduate I am going to give Florida a chance! that was 2009. Currently my wife and our two sons live in one of the premier neighborhoods in Tampa, both working great "corporate" jobs in a growing city. Every weekend is a vacation! Whether we are going to the amusement parks, lounging by the pool or out enjoying our boat. The gulf coast is great for our boats. We either jet around the inter coastal waterways stopping at bars/restaurants with boat docks, or we take the boat out to one of the many barrier islands and enjoy a private beach only shared by other boat and jet ski owners. My wife, kids and friends all love the gulf coast salt life. The bay itself is nice, very shallow, but usually fairly calm waters. Not as clear and pretty as the gulf, but during the colder months its a better bet. I have friends and family on the east coast, it seems like you are either a tourist, a billionaire or living low class on that side of the state. I feel like in Tampa, you can be a normal person during the week and then live the good life on the weekends. I have also found Tampa Bay is mainly transplants from the northeast and mid west.

My parents and inlaws have since moved and retired down here, my little sister moved down here as well ( fell in love with it while visiting) she is a Doctor in Sarasota.

moving from Boston to Tampa was the best decision of my life, the only thing I was afraid of missing was my beloved New England sports teams, but with modern tv and streaming technology, I never miss a game.

I am also a car buff and there is something to be said about driving Corvettes/Camaros etc 365

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Born and raised in New England. 25 years there. Avid hockey player and was an avid snowboarder. Spent my summers on the New Hampshire seacoast, bought a Sea Doo when I was 18 and dealt with the frigid temps as I loved being on the water. During college in MA, my aunt and uncle had moved to Florida. My girl and I would go visit them on spring break and we loved it. We spent most of our time on Clearwater Beach but also spent time in their local neighborhood and saw that regular people live normal lives in Tampa suburbs. Florida was not just disney world and the beach. I loved it so much and was so sick of the cold, I said screw it, when I graduate I am going to give Florida a chance! that was 2009. Currently my wife and our two sons live in one of the premier neighborhoods in Tampa, both working great "corporate" jobs in a growing city. Every weekend is a vacation! Whether we are going to the amusement parks, lounging by the pool or out enjoying our boat. The gulf coast is great for our boats. We either jet around the inter coastal waterways stopping at bars/restaurants with boat docks, or we take the boat out to one of the many barrier islands and enjoy a private beach only shared by other boat and jet ski owners. My wife, kids and friends all love the gulf coast salt life. The bay itself is nice, very shallow, but usually fairly calm waters. Not as clear and pretty as the gulf, but during the colder months its a better bet. I have friends and family on the east coast, it seems like you are either a tourist, a billionaire or living low class on that side of the state. I feel like in Tampa, you can be a normal person during the week and then live the good life on the weekends. I have also found Tampa Bay is mainly transplants from the northeast and mid west.

My parents and inlaws have since moved and retired down here, my little sister moved down here as well ( fell in love with it while visiting) she is a Doctor in Sarasota.

moving from Boston to Tampa was the best decision of my life, the only thing I was afraid of missing was my beloved New England sports teams, but with modern tv and streaming technology, I never miss a game.

I am also a car buff and there is something to be said about driving Corvettes/Camaros etc 365
Your story is very similar to mine. Still have family in RI, Boston and New Hampshire. We love it down here and have been here for 30 years. Wouldn't go back if you paid me.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Same here moved from Mass to Tampa bay back in 1972 when I was 20 years old loaded up my 1965 Barracuda with my motorcycle disassembled to fit , a set of drums also disassembled to fit and all my tools, clothes and a jar full of change to buy gas it was only 25- 30 cents a gallon back then. Been here ever since .