• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Frozen Trailer Jack

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Any ideas to save this before I buy a new one? I feel if I use force I will break the handle.

I had to drill a hole in the upper housing of mine. This was so i could access the jack screw and spray lubricant on it. It wasn't totally seized but was starting to become hard to turn. I have since installed a 12 v power jack and only use the kick out jack for backup.

I'm not sure why there is not a grease point on tongue jacks. They obviously could use a shot on a regular basis. They must just consider them disposable. I just swapped the one on my sled trailer, as it was rusting out, from trailering in the winter months.

Kroil works great, Other penetrating oils should free it up. If you can rotate the jack to get the wheel up so the oil can feed down, liberally spraying penetrating oil and giving it time to penetrate should unfreeze that jack screw, from experience. Drilling a hole in the upper cap works too. Penetrating oil is a short term fix, an HD spray, maybe with Moly will give you longer lasting lubrication. If you have this on a garage floor or nice concrete driveway you may want to consider a PIG or similar absorption mat.

Kroil works great, Other penetrating oils should free it up. If you can rotate the jack to get the wheel up so the oil can feed down, liberally spraying penetrating oil and giving it time to penetrate should unfreeze that jack screw, from experience. Drilling a hole in the upper cap works too. Penetrating oil is a short term fix, an HD spray, maybe with Moly will give you longer lasting lubrication. If you have this on a garage floor or nice concrete driveway you may want to consider a PIG or similar absorption mat.

Kroil is magic…

Any ideas to save this before I buy a new one? I feel if I use force I will break the handle.
Can you share a pic of the jack?

Mine has a plastic cap on top which you unscrew the fastener from the side. Then, you can get things moving again. I dumped a little motor oil on the gears and it got things moving so I could get my rig moving after a long winter nap. When home, I was able to rebuild it with parts from Fulton.

There's not much really to it, warranting a total replacement... I have a replacement jack in a box that has been cluttering my garage for years.

I will get a picture shortly but it's the same one that's been on the Shorlanders forever. I do have the cap on top, so I will try spraying that, spinning it upside down and spraying that as well.

@RobbieO is that one all aluminum? I have no issues spending if it means I won't have an issue for years. It took less than a year for this to crap out and it never even went in the water (maybe it did slightly, I don't think so though).

I will get a picture shortly but it's the same one that's been on the Shorlanders forever. I do have the cap on top, so I will try spraying that, spinning it upside down and spraying that as well.

@RobbieO is that one all aluminum? I have no issues spending if it means I won't have an issue for years. It took less than a year for this to crap out and it never even went in the water (maybe it did slightly, I don't think so though).
OK - just get the cap off then you can get the gear lubed and you'll be good to go!

What should I use to lube it up? I have gear oil I used on the rear end of my golf cart. I also have suspension grease, as well as white lithium WD-40, regular WD-40, and probably other crap.

When I had issues with mine I dumped a little motor oil directly on the gear and it was fine. Been hood for a few years now after that.

Done right I would probably put something a little heavier like that suspension grease to give you a little more robust protection when it gets dunked when you launch.

My trailer was also used in salt / mixed use and I think that since I have had the boat I’ve only been fresh. Hence really only infrequent lube needed for me I guess after I rebuilt the gear.

I have a mfi trailer with the stock Fulton jack.

Don’t forget to reinstall the dust cap when you’re done greasing.

What should I use to lube it up? I have gear oil I used on the rear end of my golf cart. I also have suspension grease, as well as white lithium WD-40, regular WD-40, and probably other crap.
Pb blaster

I was thinking PB blaster get it loose. Gear oil to work in and then top off with red grease. Any concerns.

Mine locked up this last summer, I was slightly hung over, it was hot, and I was in a rush, I snapped the gears in half trying to force it. I washed it with salt away after every use and sprayed YAMALUBE on it pretty regularly. I picked up a much beefier jack from West Marine (their brand) and have been much happier with it. I packed the gears with marine wheel bearing grease and change it every couple months. It’s held up much better than the original jack.

I believe it's zinc coated steel. It's heavy.

Trailer Jacks...next to the trailer ball probably the most abused part on my whole set up. Had my boat for four years and on my third jack. OEM Jack - rusted inside and snapped the handle, Dual wheel from WestMarine with the grease nipple - gearing stripped, Cheap single wheel still holding up.

I dont use grease on the leg anymore I think its what gummed up the West Marine unit, the salt immersion turns the grease into a paste and the gearing just stripped. With the current unit which is a $35 unit I bought in a pinch I just rest the tongue on a crate, turn the upside down and pour oil into the tube. The jack is nasty looking on the outside but the frequent oiling has kept it functional. In a week it will be a year on this one and I go out almost every weekend, 100% salt. Salt is a Bitch.

We're with you on this one, a little costly (black edition, $299.99, + tax + free shipping), outperforms nearly all others.
Salt tested for 600 hours

Back