• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fuel Type Requirement

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
When in doubt RTM, read the manual.

To be clear, differing octane levels of fuel contain the same amount of energy / btu’s per gallon. Higher octane gasoline resists detonation / engine knock more than lower octane gasoline at a given cylinder pressure. In other words, higher octane gasoline burns slower at lower cylinder pressures than does a lower octane gasoline. Conversely, low octane gasoline doesn’t burn at high cylinder pressures, it detonates, that’s the knock that can be heard. Higher than required octane gasoline in an engine reduces performance, promotes harder starting, increases heat, and is a waste of money. The higher heat is a result of the higher than required octane burning longer in the cylinder and chasing the piston down the bore, as opposed to a correct octane fuel burning within the first 30* of crank rotation. The power loss comes from the fact the gasoline doesn’t burn within the first 30* of crank rotation, eg highest pressure generated by the burning air fuel mixture in the smallest available space, as opposed to the too high octane fuel not burning completely in the first 30* of crank rotation thereby not achieving maximum pressure. Desired completed fuel burn is 10* after top dead center.

In the United States on a given gasoline pump the octane level of the fuel is posted using RON (research octane number) + MON ( motor octane number) /2 method, this is known as the ATI or anti knock index octane rating.

When doing any testing density altitude must be taken into account to correct for performance loss due to reduced air pressure. Here is a helpful link. density altitude calculator

Just fill out the fields with information taken from the local NWS forecast / current conditions to get not only density altitude, but also the percent of air as it relates to a given location / density altitude.

For reference, Standard atmospheric conditions or Zero Density altitude is 29.97Hg, 60°, and zero humidity.

Example: at an altitude of 4800’ on a 95° day, barometric pressure of 29.92, dew point of 59° the density altitude is 8359’. Therefore your engine will operate as though it was at 8359’.

I have a 2020 210 FSH Sport, Twin TR-1 1050cc with normally aspirated engines, the sticker on the engine states power as 83 KW’s maximum or 111 hp. The shop and owners manuals state fuel requirements as 86 RON/90MON. Using the R+M/2 Method of octane rating found on all pumps in the United States, that equals 88 octane. On a boat like mine with 222 hp total at standard conditions, at 8359’ there will be a hp loss of 55 hp, a significant loss of power.

Air pressure at 8359’ is only 77.74% of standard, or only 11.42 PSI as opposed to 14.7 PSI at standard atmospheric conditions, this results in lower cylinder pressure in a normally aspirated engine. The higher the density altitude the less octane that is required due to the lower cylinder pressures. Standard rule of thumb for normally aspirated modern engines is .5 octane number reduction per 1000’ of elevation gain. In older cars, pre 1988, the rule of thumb reduction in octane was up to 1.5 per 1000’ of elevation gain due to those engines not having the sophisticated electronic engine management and fuel delivery systems found on modern engines.

Speaking of modern engine management systems, whether closed loop EFI or open loop EFI, said systems will adjust the fuel mapping to maintain the target AF ratio based on density altitude. While these adjustments will correct fuel mixture at a given density altitude, said systems will not compensate for too high octane gasoline. As stated previously in this thread, the Yamaha jet boat engines do not have knock sensors to retard timing and adjust fuel mix for a too low octane gasoline. Conversely, the Yamaha jet boat engines will not advance timing based on engine knock sensor input.

When I test drove my boat at 700’ of altitude on a cool rainy day, 20% fuel, two people and no gear (sorry I don’t have the density altitude for those conditions) the boat achieved 7400 rpm and 44 mph. Now when operating at 8359’ density altitude, 50% fuel, water temp of 72*, one person and roughly 100# of gear the boat goes 34 mph and 6800 rpm. Not surprising given the 55 hp loss of power due to the altitude increase. I think that me topping up the fuel tank with 91 octane non ethanol fuel has exacerbated this performance loss. While it is not known what octane fuel was in the boat at the time of delivery, I have to assume that it as at least 88 octane or higher, if I was to wager a guess, I’m betting that it was at least 91 octane as that is what the SVHO motors use. Makes sense from a corporate view point, one fuel that is safe in all of the motors..

Having said all of the above, I’ll be dropping the octane level of the fuel down to the minimum octane level of 88 specified in the manuals by mixing in the correct amount of 85 octane non ethanol fuel to achieve the 88 octane. There are plenty of online mixing formulas and I checked three against each other to confirm consistency and accuracy. Here is a link to one that I am using. Octane Mixture Calculator

As I mentioned above, the rule of thumb octane level reduction is .5 per 1000’ of elevation gain. I gained roughly 5000’ of elevation over standard not compensating for temperature and humidity, so that is a 2.5 octane reduction from the factory 88 octane level or 85.5 octane. I plan on lowering the octane level incrementally to achieve the best possible performance at the various lakes in the area while not sacrificing engine safety.

I have a good baseline of performance from three outings with the boat in very similar conditions, and I will report back with any changes in performance.

Thanks for taking the time to read this long post!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Follow up...

Changed out stock plugs with new OEM CR9EB plugs, checked gap on new plugs at .030”. All original plugs looked great. Clean insulator all the way to the base, 2 threads of heat, gap on all plugs a loose .030”.

Reduced octane down to 87 from 91.

Tested at the lake, density altitude of 8359’, the port engine gained 400 rpm, from 6800 to 7200, the starboard engine gained 200 rpm from 6800 to 7000. With the engine rpm’s synchronized at 7000 rpm, I also picked up 5 mph for a maximum of 39 mph. This was with full fuel, and just one person on board.

Yesterday with three people on board, 86% fuel, density altitude of 6053’, both engines synched at 7100 rpm, netted 39 mph.

In the coming weeks I’ll be heading to another lake that is 2000’ lower in elevation. I will report back with density altitude and performance figures from there.

Hope you all have a great Labor Day weekend!

Last edited:

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That’s some interesting stuff. I always assumed the only downside was the extra cost for premium fuel with no gains.

I just stumbled on this from VP’s site while looking for gasoline for some carbureted cars and came here to post it. Obviously missed your post and glad I saw it now. When gas was cheap I would sometimes think about getting premium.

FDF02F64-6C2D-4F07-B2C2-E6D324E4D38F.jpeg

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for the post and info from VP.

Since the price of gas is so high these days, using premium instead of regular where required not only robs performance and leaves deposits, it cuts down on the fun time budget!

I reviewed the posts I made and found I had made an error, min octane for my boat is 86 Pump octane number or ATI (anti knock index) and not 88.

78EA782F-9ACF-4335-8C85-B7F58C836E0B.jpeg