• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Gulfstream crossing 2018 help

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you make it across with one tank or need to bring back up fuel? I have a 2006 sx230 starting to prep for 2019 since 2018 was already booked for us.
One tank. If you have HO engines and well maintained jets you should be fine.

If you do not have HO engines then we need to do some research.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce non HO motors I went from HHI to Charleston on 3/4 of tank believe it was about 80miles. @Andy S fo you know total miles from st John's to shelter cove? I filled up 38 gallons at st John's on return from HHI

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Bruce non HO motors I went from HHI to Charleston on 3/4 of tank believe it was about 80miles. @Andy S fo you know total miles from st John's to shelter cove? I filled up 38 gallons at st John's on return from HHI
It was 86 miles for that leg. No real current and calm waters for most of it as well. The total of the no wake zones we had would likely be similar to the no wake zones to get out of ft lauderdale. You did have a good sized crew and you got essentially the same gas milage as me. I am not sure how that would translate in rougher waters with the hull being a bit different but of course less crew will make a difference as well. Perhaps with that data @Bruce can chime in.

86 pretty calm miles and 38 gallon fuel burn with fair amount of load.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It was closer to 100 miles I think it's 98 miles

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry @Mainah is correct I was calculating from my launch point not where you guys refueled.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Mainah have you filled up boat since the trip? I used half tank from st John's back to ramp. Call me crazy but I enjoyed the rockin lake crossing

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Mainah, @Wisefam22 were you guys going against a current? That seems like a lot of fuel for 86 miles.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Mainah have you filled up boat since the trip? I used half tank from st John's back to ramp. Call me crazy but I enjoyed the rockin lake crossing
Filled up on the way back took about 30 gallons as I recall. I enjoyed that lake crossing too.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We were against the current once we hit the river on the way back and it was enough to knock my speed for a given rpm down quite a bit but that was after St Johns. As for the ICW I could not say on current but we did speed up and slow down quite a bit for the different things we encountered. My WOT jaunt across the bay probably did not help either. We were running about 32 mph for cruising speed.