• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini Trip June 19th - 26th 2022

pprocacci

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I believe that "Mark" that you are traveling with has stayed at the Hilton in the past. He will have an idea about what he has found for food in Bimini.
Other than being a super avid boater, I know nothing about Mark other than what I've already shared. He very well could be the person of whom you speak, but I don't have this information to confirm this.

Am I correct that you are staying on the canals in S. Bimini. I am not aware of any groceries being available on S Bimini beyond what is at Booze & Screws which is mostly alcohol and mixers. Smalls Takeaway next door and My Three Daughters on N. Bimini are likely the best value meals that you will find. The Thirsty Turtle on S. Bimini has been recently remodeled and should be a good experience.
Yep, pretty close. We've scouted the stores and have a list of places we can visit to obtain groceries. It's undoubtedly going to be a pain trucking (or should I say boating) it back to the house.

The water is fine in Bimini. Perhaps take a pitcher style filter with you if you are concerned. We take a few packs of bottled gatorade and gatorade powder then refill with local water.
So I know from what I've heard that the fresh water is "different", though still drinkable. Apparently the difference is that their drinking water comes from the sea and is then later purified, as opposed to how water is obtained here in the U.S.

Most of my trips have been for 10 to 14 days crossing there with a group going for 6. I have typically carried sufficient food for my family of four to eat all but a few meals that we plan to eat out. Our days are spent on the water not revolving around when we can find food on the islands. We typically catch some fish to eat and have a few meals out with friends then give away any food that we have left over.
This is more or less our plan. You could say it fits like a glove; give or take a day here or there.

We'll purchase what we can there; eating out everyday if we absolutely need to.
Truthfully, I'm less concerned about food than I am about fresh water.
The human body only needs one of those things daily. ;) .. but ya, obviously we'll try to stock up once we get there.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yep, pretty close. We've scouted the stores and have a list of places we can visit to obtain groceries. It's undoubtedly going to be a pain trucking (or should I say boating) it back to the house.
N Bimini has a narrow deep channel that goes to RW. When picking up things in N. Bimini I normally boat to as close as possible then sending a landing party. For J&J or Ediths that would be beaching. Be careful as there is quite a bit of junk in that very clear shallow water. For Sue & Joy's just tip the dock hands at RW. One complication is that despite the no wake zone signs and $500 cash fine it is not unusual for large yachts to make huge wakes in that channel.

Taxis typically are golf carts. Bimini is not designed for hauling groceries for 8.

So I know from what I've heard that the fresh water is "different", though still drinkable. Apparently the difference is that their drinking water comes from the sea and is then later purified, as opposed to how water is obtained here in the U.S.
RW may desalinate. S. Bimini water is from freshwater wells. Well water is very expensive there, desalination would be even more expensive. Water pressure can vary greatly. Taking a pitcher type filter is the best way to remove all taste from the water.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Other than being a super avid boater, I know nothing about Mark other than what I've already shared. He very well could be the person of whom you speak, but I don't have this information to confirm this.

This is more or less our plan. You could say it fits like a glove; give or take a day here or there.

We'll purchase what we can there; eating out everyday if we absolutely need to.
Truthfully, I'm less concerned about food than I am about fresh water.
The human body only needs one of those things daily. ;) .. but ya, obviously we'll try to stock up once we get there.
I recommend taking everything you need including food & drinks. There’s not much for food over there unless your going to plan on eating conch salad a lot.

pprocacci

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
there is a small mini market in S bimini surprincing well stock
If you can remember the name of it, that'd be great. I can add it to my list.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The one that was beside Booze & Screws by the ferry dock? It was packed with product but I believe it is closed. Doyle ran it and rented golf carts.

@pprocacci do you have golf carts as part of your rental? It is quite a hike, on dirt road, from the canals to the Thirsty Turtle, Smalls and Booze and Screws. You might be able to hail an old van taxi on channel 68.

pprocacci

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
The one that was beside Booze & Screws by the ferry dock? It was packed with product but I believe it is closed. Doyle ran it and rented golf carts.

@pprocacci do you have golf carts as part of your rental? It is quite a hike, on dirt road, from the canals to the Thirsty Turtle, Smalls and Booze and Screws. You might be able to hail an old van taxi on channel 68.
As part of the rental? No.
We're renting several when we get there though.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@pprocacci At times it well stocked. Other times it’s bare bones. All depends on when the orders come in. We tried to get pizza one night & they were waiting on supplies…. for days. s Bimini didn’t have fuel most of the week we were there last year. Had to go to N Bimini for fuel. One thing about Bimini is the food & fuel supplies run out fast and don’t get replenished like we’re all used to. I wouldn’t count on anything being in stock over there. And also, the market is small, like supers super small, Not what most think. We ate conch salad one night, at the Thirsty turtle for lunch once and the rest of the trip we ate what we took over with us. Chops, burgers, brats, eggs, tacos, snacks and so much more & for the meats we fit it all in a average size yeti style cooler.

pprocacci

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
@pprocacci At times it well stocked. Other times it’s bare bones. All depends on when the orders come in. We tried to get pizza one night & they were waiting on supplies…. for days. s Bimini didn’t have fuel most of the week we were there last year. Had to go to N Bimini for fuel. One thing about Bimini is the food & fuel supplies run out fast and don’t get replenished like we’re all used to. I wouldn’t count on anything being in stock over there. And also, the market is small, like supers super small, Not what most think. We ate conch salad one night, at the Thirsty turtle for lunch once and the rest of the trip we ate what we took over with us. Chops, burgers, brats, eggs, tacos, snacks and so much more & for the meats we fit it all in a average size yeti style cooler.
Yeah, I expect that to be the case. That's been most peoples' experience from what I've gathered; fuel in particular seems to come up more often than not.

It's going to make for an interesting week regardless! ;)

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As part of the rental? No.
We're renting several when we get there though.
Are you staying on S. Bimini? If so where will you rent several golf carts and what have you budgeted for them?

You can not move golf carts between the islands. The ferry between the islands is foot traffic only. There are fewer functional golf carts on S. BImini.

pprocacci

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
@Bruce

Dude, no offense but you're showing way too much interest in our trip. How much I pay for things or intend on paying for things, how much I've budgeted, how I'm getting from/to each island; how much food I'm bringing, etc. is not your concern. Before you know it, you'll be inquiring about how I intend on wiping my ass with the toilet paper shortage, or perhaps it'll be how much ammo I'm going to have on my boat, or .... etc.

Here's my final comment regarding all of this:

- We don't care about the difficulties of getting around the island. We're happy to simply be there.
- We don't care about the food scarcity; if any that may be present, We're happy to simply be there.
- We don't care about the fuel shortages; if any that may be present. We're happy to simply be there.
- We don't care about the bugs that plague the islands. We're happy to simply be there.
- We don't care about the costs of any/all of the above. We're happy to simply be there.

If you have any questions that the above 5 points don't cover, just tell yourself, "they don't care. They're happy to simply be there.". This should answer nearly all your questions regarding my thoughts on the vast majority of topics.

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
All these negativity just discourage people, just do your own thing. I always go with my own group, never with the jetboaters, great people but too opinionated, most commenting never been there will never be there or their wives won’t let ‘em.my group is crossing jun 2 till the 6. Probably about 12 boats, multiple crossing and some even all the way to Staniel in boats and jet skis. This year the skis will be leaving from haul over boats from lauderdale. The only place you might need a golf cart is the north island not really necessary in s Bimini. Any other info you may need just send me a dm.

pprocacci

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
All these negativity just discourage people, just do your own thing. I always go with my own group, never with the jetboaters, great people but too opinionated, most commenting never been there will never be there or their wives won’t let ‘em.my group is crossing jun 2 till the 6. Probably about 12 boats, multiple crossing and some even all the way to Staniel in boats and jet skis. This year the skis will be leaving from haul over boats from lauderdale. The only place you might need a golf cart is the north island not really necessary in s Bimini. Any other info you may need just send me a dm.
You sir, are spot on. I truly couldn't have said it better myself. The negativity here is outrageous.
Have fun on your trip! I certainly will DM you should I have any questions, but for the time being I believe I have all the information I need.

Thanks!

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, I expect that to be the case. That's been most peoples' experience from what I've gathered; fuel in particular seems to come up more often than not.

It's going to make for an interesting week regardless! ;)
I see you have a new boat and not sure if you already planned on it but think about taking an entire set of spare spark plugs, tools, oil, rags and whatever else you might need on the trip. Hopefully you don't need any of it but there's always a chance you or someone else might be in need. One in our group used a tube of 3M 5200 while over there last time. I slowly put together a small box with things that I might've needed as I thought of them or just came across them.

Make sure to take a lot of pictures while your there. I already find myself looking back and thinking of the great time that we had.

pprocacci

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I see you have a new boat and not sure if you already planned on it but think about taking an entire set of spare spark plugs, tools, oil, rags and whatever else you might need on the trip. Hopefully you don't need any of it but there's always a chance you or someone else might be in need. One in our group used a tube of 3M 5200 while over there last time. I slowly put together a small box with things that I might've needed as I thought of them or just came across them.

Make sure to take a lot of pictures while your there. I already find myself looking back and thinking of the great time that we had.
I generally do always keep some tools on my vessels. Crescent wrenches in particular have been extremely useful in the past.
I've got a box much like what you described that I've taken off my old boat filled with goodies sitting in my garage. I DO need to put that on my new boat, and your message has reminded me to do so. Glad you mentioned it. It's one of those things I keep on forgetting to do. Won't do me any good sitting on my work bench. I suppose it'll be as good a time as any to replace any of the old stuff as well. Surely some of the more sealant type items or gaskets I have are quite old now.

The pictures will be plentiful that's for sure. I'll find a suitable place to upload them once I return and have had the time sift through them.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The 3 people commenting have all been there multiple times and are ensuring those that read @pprocacci 's "selling" of the trip are well aware of the challenges of the trip. If you read any of the Bimini FB page crossing posts you will find the ones where people got there thinking it was going to be like being in Miami and discover to their shock that the "grocery store" consists of two 15 foot isles of a big mix of food, paper goods etc (imagine that if you can).

The negativity here is not negativity - and your thinking that it is negativity is EXACLTY the problem we are raising. You are minimizing the risks.

Our goal has been accomplished - point out that you shouldn't take a cavalier attitude to this crossing, and need to know what you will find when you get there.

Sorry you don't like reality...yes it bites. Complain about reality all you want. I hope you have a fantastic trip. You, and those considering going with you, now have a dose of reality from people who've done this trip often. Sorry you don't like our pointing out the reality and dampening people's expectations and plans. I was VERY glad the organizers told me what to REALLY expect so I could prepare for it vs a rosy farcical picturesque perspective.

I love Bimini and will be there (hopefully) in July! If I lead a group they'll be prepared for the worst and delighted when we don't encounter it, or ready if they do.

pprocacci

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
The 3 people commenting have all been there multiple times and are ensuring those that read @pprocacci 's "selling" of the trip are well aware of the challenges of the trip.
Why do you insist I'm "selling" anything? Your perspective is way off.
I'd suggest you re-read my opening post once again. All it states is "we're going ... here are the dates we're going ... and if you want to join us for the crossing we welcome the company."

I've made no mention of how bountiful the food or gas will be or any of the other things some of "you three" are bringing up; which for the most part are not relevant, like "how much have I budgeted for golf-carts for the week". This isn't helpful in the least.

Now admittedly, there have been some really good points which I'm appreciative of, but mostly this is just a bunch of badgering and isn't helpful.

Edit:
I always go with my own group, never with the jetboaters, great people but too opinionated
This sentiment seems to be true. I'm sure lots of people here are really truly awesome people, and yes, they are very opinionated.

Last edited:

rocky4x479

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well power point went over good we are planning on 6 adults for our crossing. I appreciate the input form everyone Reading past write ups from Bruce and Julian is what had turned me on to this trip. I think everyone just kinda got their wires crossed. I am also budgeting in Ferry money incase I need to kick a few over on it due to weight. I am planning on taking food for the week with me. With only eating out once or twice while at Bimini. I ordered a Magma grill for the boat (needed a valid excuse to order it lol) And have a house in the canals rented. Im hoping for calm water and good times but looking over the Bimini planning write up I'll also be planning for problems.

pprocacci

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Hey all,

Tis April and as promised I'm going to start texting/email everyone to start a chain outside this forum. If you don't see an email/text from me within the next day or two, PM me here and I'll be sure to get everyone included!

As promised, my contact details are:

Phone: 615-946-5565
Email: pprocacci@gmail.com

@rocky4x479 You're details are the only one I'm missing.

Last edited: