• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini Trip June 19th - 26th 2022

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The boat won't be "loaded" with just teens, we're adults and doing the navigating. We have all safety gear necessary. I do appreciate the concerns, but we're not idiots ;-) We'd never put our kids in harm's way like you're suggesting. You won't cross with that many? Awesome....that's your choice. You aren't everyone. We'll be fine and safe. Enjoy your evening.
Just to be clear, that boat had 4 adults and 4 teens.

How much experience does your family have boating in the ocean?

pprocacci

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Just to be clear, that boat had 4 adults and 4 teens.

How much experience does your family have boating in the ocean?
I grew up on the ocean with my grandfather. R.I.P.
Regardless, these questions aren't really relevant.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I grew up on the ocean with my grandfather. R.I.P.
Regardless, these questions aren't really relevant.
Have you taken your 275 out in the ocean with your family before? If you do so frequently then it is likely that you are well prepared. If not the risk certainly increases.

Tim and I both want you and your family to have a great time on your Bimini trip. Getting there safely is a big part of that.

pprocacci

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Have you taken your 275 out in the ocean with your family before? If you do so frequently then it is likely that you are well prepared. If not the risk certainly increases.

Tim and I both want you and your family to have a great time on your Bimini trip. Getting there safely is a big part of that.
This is understandable. From epirb's, to PLBs, to ditch bags, to spare fuel, to radios, etc.; this isn't my first rodeo.
I can put this another way: we're going; that is, unless mother nature says otherwise and in that case, we wouldn't even undock.

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
This is understandable. From epirb's, to PLBs, to ditch bags, to spare fuel, to radios, etc.; this isn't my first rodeo.
I can put this another way: we're going; that is, unless mother nature says otherwise and in that case, we wouldn't even undock.
Have fun and enjoy the trip. Period.

tim h

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@pprocacci
I would suggest you don't dismiss the conversations of those with the experience of making the crossing several times..
Which it would seem you and the Mrs are doing with your "we'll be fine" comments. Many have thought the same and turned out they were not fine.
It's this kind of mindset that , at times, is dangerous to yourself and others that are with you. Having 10 people and their gear (plus food and drink) on a 275 may push its weight limit, which is what you don't want to be doing - and putting you at a far higher risk of being swamped by a wave.

WE ALL want you and your family to have a great time on your Bimini trip. Getting there AND BACK SAFELY is a big part of that.
Good luck and enjoy your vacation.:winkingthumbsup"

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The boat won't be "loaded" with just teens, we're adults and doing the navigating. We have all safety gear necessary. I do appreciate the concerns, but we're not idiots ;-) We'd never put our kids in harm's way like you're suggesting. You won't cross with that many? Awesome....that's your choice. You aren't everyone. We'll be fine and safe. Enjoy your evening.
I'm certain he's not suggesting you are idiots, all he is saying is that many people in one boat, your size, making the crossing is not advised by anyone I know who's done it before. Especially as its your first attempt. I went with 2 people my first time - two seasoned ocean boaters. I wouldn't take my teens the first time as I needed to see how my boat (and me) handled the crossing. "We'll be fine and safe" won't make it true. From my perspective you are putting your kids in harms way - if I were you, I'd be balancing the load and putting some of them on another boat.

But ultimately it is your boat and your crew's lives. We can't make you heed the advice of experts that are concerned for your welfare. I rescued 2 people during a crossing who didn't heed the advice of experts here.....they weren't fine, and the coast guard helicopter collected their next of kin info as part of the rescue process.

Lots of replies I didn't read while typing this. Hopefully it's flat calm.

Last edited:

pprocacci

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
@pprocacci
I would suggest you don't dismiss the conversations of those with the experience of making the crossing several times..
Which it would seem you and the Mrs are doing with your "we'll be fine" comments. Many have thought the same and turned out they were not fine.
How many people Tim have said this where it didn't turn out ok? Do you even know the number or frequency? Surely not.
Has it happened? I don't dispute it, but to then suggest we're naive because we don't think it _could_ happen is simply wrong.

Perhaps this is where the confusion lies, because we are crossing with those that have.
I didn't come here asking for advice, that's already taken care of elsewhere; though I certainly appreciate some of what's been provided here.
The sole purpose of my post is to organize those that want to cross together; nothing more.

WE ALL want you and your family to have a great time on your Bimini trip. Getting there AND BACK SAFELY is a big part of that.
Good luck and enjoy your vacation.:winkingthumbsup"
Thanks. We'll share our experience, good or bad once we return.

I'm certain he's not suggesting you are idiots, all he is saying is that many people in one boat, your size, making the crossing is not advised by anyone I know who's done it before. Especially as its your first attempt. I went with 2 people my first time - two seasoned ocean boaters. I wouldn't take my teens the first time as I needed to see how my boat (and me) handled the crossing. "We'll be fine and safe" won't make it true. From my perspective you are putting your kids in harms way - if I were you, I'd be balancing the load and putting some of them on another boat.
Serious question, for all the bad times someone has had, how many good times have there been?
I could easily tell you about my friends who travel to bimini with 8 full grown adults year after year and there's no problem at all.
Really, what I'm getting from this is there are a bunch of nay-sayers that have had or seen some bad experiences; yet are neglecting to mention the overwhelming good experiences. Not just overwhelming good experience, but OVERWHELMING (capitalize) good experiences.

The short of it is, you could have bad experiences doing anything in life; we're not immune to that. I could point out that you're more likely to be killed in a car accident than pretty much anything else, yet we still drive. To put it perhaps another way, life is full of dangers and so long as mitigating precautions are in place it's certainly more likely it'll be fine. This isn't an absolute, I understand, but still holds true.

Anyways, I certainly appreciate talking with yall. If any of yall would like to join us, you're more than welcomed. Nothing like meeting new people.

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

pprocacci

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
@pprocacci, based on past trips I calculated the odds of a successful crossing at 67.5%. httpit's almost certain you'll be fine.s://jetboaters.net/threads/preparing-for-bimini.3800/#prob

Having a perfectly functioning boat, prior saltwater experience in your crossing boat and flexible dates increased the odds to 83%.
@Bruce I actually read your post yesterday and I do recall this number being provided.

Again, the post is extremely insightful. I'm very glad you put it together.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
How many people Tim have said this where it didn't turn out ok? Do you even know the number or frequency? Surely not.
Has it happened? I don't dispute it, but to then suggest we're naive because we don't think it _could_ happen is simply wrong.

Perhaps this is where the confusion lies, because we are crossing with those that have.
I didn't come here asking for advice, that's already taken care of elsewhere; though I certainly appreciate some of what's been provided here.
The sole purpose of my post is to organize those that want to cross together; nothing more.

Thanks. We'll share our experience, good or bad once we return.

Serious question, for all the bad times someone has had, how many good times have there been?
I could easily tell you about my friends who travel to bimini with 8 full grown adults year after year and there's no problem at all.
Really, what I'm getting from this is there are a bunch of nay-sayers that have had or seen some bad experiences; yet are neglecting to mention the overwhelming good experiences. Not just overwhelming good experience, but OVERWHELMING (capitalize) good experiences.

The short of is, you could have bad experiences doing anything in life; we're not immune to that. I could point out that you're more likely to be killed in a car accident than pretty much anything else, yet we still drive. To put it perhaps another way, life is full of dangers and so long as mitigating precautions are in place it's certainly more likely it'll be fine. This isn't an absolute, I understand, but still holds true.

Anyways, I certainly appreciate talking with yall. If any of yall would like to join us, you're more than welcomed. Nothing like meeting new people.
Of course the overwhelming experiences have been FANTASTIC. I'm hoping to be going July 9-16. I'm very glad you are going with people that know what they are doing. In the trips organized via this forum, we've have 2 boats sink, 1 ski sink, 1 boat struck by lightening, multiple boats sustain damage, multiple boats run out of gas, and two boats lost (one found with the help of the CG, one found by a group hunt). So yes, there have been issues - but you are correct - those issues are a small percentage of the total number of HAPPY BIMINI TRIPPERS!

The folks here that organize trips, and have done so for years, simply have red flags that go up when someone is approaching the trip with a bad plan. Overloading one's boat is simply one of the best ways to lose it. Poorly loading/balancing that load is probably #2. Poorly maintained boats are perhaps #3.

I think people were a little concerned with a "Group Leader's" somewhat cavalier attitude towards really good advice. Every leader we've had has emphasized with their group that this isn't a trivial trip, that you risk losing your boat and put your crew at risk. Weather can change quickly and has on many trips. So when you decide to leave with a heavily loaded boat in calm seas and are 25 miles offshore and a nasty storm blows up - you aren't surprised and sunk.

Yes you can have bad experiences doing anything. We'd prefer not to have anyone have a bad experience because they winged it (we've had too many people wing it and regret it). Each captain is responsible for their own boat. But they tend to take the lead of their leader regardless. So all we are suggesting is that you set the example of planning for the worst on the open ocean - so those following you do too.

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Has anyone here crossed on a 275? Bigger boat wider beam more payload? just asking ive only crossed in a 242 and 252, 252 being a whole different experience, never the less you will find lots of naysayer most of which haven done the crossing. Bruce done it plenty of time and also some of the ones giving advice. In the it will be how prepared and confident you are in your skil. But please dont let the kids ride in the bow, other than that have fun be safe, and just have all the equipment necessary, a handheld vhf wont reach to shore in an emergency but than epirb could be life saver .

pprocacci

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I think people were a little concerned with a "Group Leader's" somewhat cavalier attitude towards really good advice. Every leader we've had has emphasized with their group that this isn't a trivial trip, that you risk losing your boat and put your crew at risk. Weather can change quickly and has on many trips. So when you decide to leave with a heavily loaded boat in calm seas and are 25 miles offshore and a nasty storm blows up - you aren't surprised and sunk.
Let me be perfectly clear. I'm not in any shape or form this "groups' leader".
Really the extent of my involvement is gathering contact details to share with everyone and that's the extent of it.
The only submission I'll make is should anything happen to others during the crossing I absolutely will assist them as needed, regardless of what it is.
The persons' with the experience of which there are multiple, are not on these forums.

But please dont let the kids ride in the bow, other than that have fun be safe, and just have all the equipment necessary, a handheld vhf wont reach to shore in an emergency but than epirb could be life saver .
No one is sitting in the bow. I mean, it certainly would make for an entertaining trip, but yeah, not happening. Learned that the hard way when I was 6.

AshleyPro83

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Can we now get back to discussing plans as the original post was meant for? No?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can we now get back to discussing plans as the original post was meant for? No?
While I understand that recruiting is your focus safety has always been a priority in Bimini crossing discussions on this forum. Those that are replying are not doing so to be mean but to try to help you have a better outcome. Those that totalled boats, drifted at sea or suffered injuries did not enjoy the trip.

What are your plans for feeding your family in Bimini? Are you taking all that you will need?

pprocacci

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
While I understand that recruiting is your focus safety has always been a priority in Bimini crossing discussions on this forum. Those that are replying are not doing so to be mean but to try to help you have a better outcome. Those that totalled boats, drifted at sea or suffered injuries did not enjoy the trip.

What are your plans for feeding your family in Bimini? Are you taking all that you will need?
I truly wish we could bring more. I certainly don't need to say this but you know how expensive bimini can get.
Alas, we'll be traveling as lightly as possible.
Besides a few snacks, water is the only thing of significance we're bringing as it's part of our ditch plan.
We'll spend a ton of money there which I'm prepared for on food.

AshleyPro83

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length

You questioning everything doesn't come across at all as concern. My husband is much nicer than I am....lol.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I truly wish we could bring more. I certainly don't need to say this but you know how expensive bimini can get.
Alas, we'll be traveling as lightly as possible.
Besides a few snacks, water is the only thing of significance we're bringing as it's part of our ditch plan.
We'll spend a ton of money there which I'm prepared for on food.
I believe that "Mark" that you are traveling with has stayed at the Hilton in the past. He will have an idea about what he has found for food in Bimini.

Am I correct that you are staying on the canals in S. Bimini. I am not aware of any groceries being available on S Bimini beyond what is at Booze & Screws which is mostly alcohol and mixers. Smalls Takeaway next door and My Three Daughters on N. Bimini are likely the best value meals that you will find. The Thirsty Turtle on S. Bimini has been recently remodeled and should be a good experience.

There are three or four small grocery stores on N. Bimini. J & Js has photos online giving you an idea of what you can expect. Sue and Joy's at Resorts World often is well stocked but again small.

Edith's Pizza and Stuart's Conch Shack are experiences you should have on N. Bimini.

Bimini Bread is typically available in the mornings from a few shops. When it sells out it is gone. Sometimes those shops have breakfast themed items.

Supplies will be limited at the grocery stores. The mailboat typically comes on Wednesday or Thursday. Late that day the shelves get stocked. Every day after less is available. The fuel tanker comes several days after the island runs out of fuel.

Everything happens on island time, which means slow and not to schedule. That is fine if you can calm down and just enjoy being there but do not expect to be able to order food when you want. Everything is open and working on their schedule not yours.

The water is fine in Bimini. Perhaps take a pitcher style filter with you if you are concerned. We take a few packs of bottled gatorade and gatorade powder then refill with local water.

Most of my trips have been for 10 to 14 days crossing there with a group going for 6. I have typically carried sufficient food for my family of four to eat all but a few meals that we plan to eat out. Our days are spent on the water not revolving around when we can find food on the islands. We typically catch some fish to eat and have a few meals out with friends then give away any food that we have left over.

If I was taking a larger group I would put several on the ferry taking as much luggage as they could while I crossed with a smaller crew and food on the boat. After clearing customs at Big Game Club, and unloading the boat if needed, I would proceed to the Resorts World docks to pickup those that crossed on the ferry and their luggage.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@pprocacci, most transactions in Bimini will be cash. Using cards can trigger a fraud alert but outside the marina and fuel dock most do not have the ability to process cards.

ATMs are rare and the Bahamian Dollar is locked to the US Dollar so they are used equally on the island.

Something else to be aware of is that the power is likely to go off for a multiple hour period during your stay. That has always happened but has been worse since the main generators were destroyed in a fire.