• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Have you had a 1.8 timing chain failure, was it in warranty and how has Yamaha handled it?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What’s crazy is a you can buy a new vx ho for less than 12,000 with the same motor

Edmarcha

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just wondering is there an insurance coverage that will cover catasthropic engine damage like this?

JEvanoff

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just wondering is there an insurance coverage that will cover catasthropic engine damage like this?
From what I have heard (and yes I have had a timing chain break) Yamaha is covering the issue even if it is out of warranty. They know it's an issue and they are covering it and trying to not make a big deal out of it.
I would suggest if you have a chain break to find a good dealer that will go to bat for you and get it covered. If you don't have a dealer that is willing to do this I would call Yamaha directly.

miket

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@miket is that $18000.00 you have to spend for new engine or repair, for that amount a used 2016 SX190 with better timing belt would be an option I would think.

is that ballpark amount for 1.8L engine repair?
The cost was for a completely new engine as it was beyond repair...if the chain breaks, there is a high probability that the engine is beyond repair. The rest of the boat/trailer is in excellent condition so I basically now have a new boat with the new chain set-up.

miket

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think any 2016+ 190 in good condition would be over 20k.
I believe the new 1.8 engines are $12,000 not installed. Yes. It’s crazy, for what those are... but it is what it is.

Here in GA, $14,700 for the engine and another 2,700 for labor (included winterizing).....

Yes, any 2016 or newer is $20k+ and you don't know how the boat was taken care of nor if it ever hit salt water. I am at least the first owner of this engine and will be able to provide all of the service paperwork from this point forward if I ever go to sell it. The rest of the boat and new custom trailer are in excellent shape with a number of upgrades installed....didn't have much of a choice if I wanted to stay on the water.

miket

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I tried....they wouldn't cover the engine.

zwillz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The cost was for a completely new engine as it was beyond repair...if the chain breaks, there is a high probability that the engine is beyond repair. The rest of the boat/trailer is in excellent condition so I basically now have a new boat with the new chain set-up.
Man sorry to hear that. When I first bought my 2014 212x about a yr ago I contacted Yamaha directly and brought it to their attention and have it all documented. Told them that it's a problem with these boats with certain years. They were aware of some, but not as many as there has been. But I just wanted it documented to cover my end. Not sure if itll help or not, but I have names, case #s, and a written letter from Yamaha. Obviously hoping it never happens, but just wanted a plan if it did. Again sorry man, I'd be an unhappy camper! Good luck!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From what I have heard (and yes I have had a timing chain break) Yamaha is covering the issue even if it is out of warranty. They know it's an issue and they are covering it and trying to not make a big deal out of it.
Unfortunately, what I hear from my sources is that they appear to be phasing out this good will program and no longer replace all out of warranty engines due to broken TC.
The insurance does not generally cover a failure that is a mechanical issue, even catastrophic.

I guess this would be one instance where the "Yamalube warranty" would come in handy - there is a program where you subscribe to use/document use of only Yamalube oils and filters that gives unlimited time drivetrain coverage similar to YES, I guess. Not possible retrospectively, I'm afraid.

--

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
My SX190 (2012) with 260 hours shut down without warning.....chain broke and totaled the engine (April 2019). Had to put in a new engine at a cost of just under $18,000 (almost one year later due to the tech's backlog). Yamaha did modify their 1.8L engines in 2016 which includes a wider chain set-up, among other enhancements....the service tech (who was a former Yamaha employee in their engine department), after hours of research with Yamaha tech and viewing it first-hand, confirmed the new engine is the new set-up.

Based on my unfortunate experience, if you have a 1.8L engine(s) built prior to 2016, trade your boat in for a new one....it can break without warning and if it does, you are out $18,000 per engine. Looking back, wish I would have known this information, which is why I am posting it.
I bought the demo boat back in 2016 in 2018 T/C snapped with 70 hours. I purchased the extended warranty and engine was not replaced but rebuilt. 8 weeks later back on the water. In the past, Yamaha has worked with some owners out of warranty by Sharing the cost. I was not aware that it was 18k, my original paperwork gave an engine value 11k and even with labor I couldn’t imagine paying 18k. Sorry to hear that. I tried to trade in my boat but would have to come up with 12k due to my Yamaha step loan. I was told by year 5, I could “Trade Up”. Which Yamaha did a reversal and will not honor saying there was not a lot of interest so it cancelled the promotion.

jtwrace

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
I'll buy someones boat with blown engine. :) They can most certainly be rebuilt!

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Would it not be cheaper to just replace the TC now, and forgo the anxiety? Or sell the boat to some meat head. (put a calvin sticker pissing on a ford on the boat for optimal meat head luring)

miket

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought the demo boat back in 2016 in 2018 T/C snapped with 70 hours. I purchased the extended warranty and engine was not replaced but rebuilt. 8 weeks later back on the water. In the past, Yamaha has worked with some owners out of warranty by Sharing the cost. I was not aware that it was 18k, my original paperwork gave an engine value 11k and even with labor I couldn’t imagine paying 18k. Sorry to hear that. I tried to trade in my boat but would have to come up with 12k due to my Yamaha step loan. I was told by year 5, I could “Trade Up”. Which Yamaha did a reversal and will not honor saying there was not a lot of interest so it cancelled the promotion.
head to toe, it is a completely new engine with the 2016 redesign. not sure what parts were or weren’t included in your 11k number.

The engine cost was 14,700...the balance was tax, labor and shipping which brought it up to 17,400ish.

that said, do you know if they repaired your engine using the 3/4 or 4/5 link chain? If I were a betting man, they used the 3/4 link chain as the 4/5 link chain requires the new 2016 and beyond engine setup which could be why mine was more expensive. The 4/5 link chain won’t fit the pre-2016 engines and they can’t be retrofitted for it to fit.

Trust me, I and the shop owner spent months and months figuring this out as I didn’t want to spend any money if the pre-2016 engine setup was going to be put back in.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
head to toe, it is a completely new engine with the 2016 redesign. not sure what parts were or weren’t included in your 11k number.

The engine cost was 14,700...the balance was tax, labor and shipping which brought it up to 17,400ish.

that said, do you know if they repaired your engine using the 3/4 or 4/5 link chain? If I were a betting man, they used the 3/4 link chain as the 4/5 link chain requires the new 2016 and beyond engine setup which could be why mine was more expensive. The 4/5 link chain won’t fit the pre-2016 engines and they can’t be retrofitted for it to fit.

Trust me, I and the shop owner spent months and months figuring this out as I didn’t want to spend any money if the pre-2016 engine setup was going to be put back in.
The 2015 or older 1.8 engine can have the upgraded 2016 timing chain and components. Not sure if your dealer is telling you that they can't be upgraded but 4-tec sells the kit and it's around $1,400 2016 Yamaha Timing Chain Engine Upgrade Kit [2016 upgrade kit] : PWC Performance Parts

Not all 2016 received the upgrade. Dependis in the engine build date. The easiest way to tell for sure is to remove the valve cover and you can see the timing chain links.

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll buy someones boat with blown engine. :) They can most certainly be rebuilt!
You do know those are interference engines, some can probably be rebuilt.

--

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The 4/5 link chain won’t fit the pre-2016 engines and they can’t be retrofitted for it to fit.
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC - I remember you've told a us a few times (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that you had a 1.8L chain break, what year was that ski and was it a new engine or just a chain replacement ?

@miket - can you tell us the name of the dealer that replaced your motor,

Edmarcha

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Similar to some cars that need T/C replaced at 90k to 110k miles. For those prior 2016 SX boats owners like myself. Will it be a good idea to just do maintenance replacement before it breaks. How much will cost to replace T/C on this boats?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Similar to some cars that need T/C replaced at 90k to 110k miles. For those prior 2016 SX boats owners like myself. Will it be a good idea to just do maintenance replacement before it breaks. How much will cost to replace T/C on this boats?
Unsure on price, but even if it was 2k, that's better than 16k.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you do you should upgrade to new design, but I think it’s pricey.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Unsure on price, but even if it was 2k, that's better than 16k.
I believe its more involved than you think. It requires new cams and crankshaft because the chain gears are not removable. This would be the case if you upgrade to the 4 link design.
Not sure if there is just a better 3 link chain option though