• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

(Hopefully) soon to be new owner questions

cjanderson_13

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey everyone,
Have a question regarding the gel/resin layer. Was changing anodes on the boat (2015 242 Limited S) we plan to purchase in the next week or so off a family friend and found this small hole (left side of the picture). Anyone have recommendations for patching? Doesn’t appear to interfere with the fiberglass layer deeper.
-Yes The boat is dirty. The owner was very very very meticulous with cleaning this boat, except for this past year with unforeseen life circumstances. I plan to do a deep clean, wash, wax before dropping it in the water.
- Does anyone have suggestions regarding what to check for on this boat? Boat has ~95 hours, oil changed yearly. I changed the anodes and have spark plugs at home. Boat was always in fresh water, never salt. We think there was a small current in the water near the power dock it was kept in hence the corrosion on the anodes/rudder.
- Yes I know there is a search function I just wanted to condense my questions all into one.
thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Guess I’m blind but can you get a better picture of the hole???

If there’s no major fiberglass damage you can just get some gel coat and repair yourself.

cjanderson_13

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Guess I’m blind but can you get a better picture of the hole???

If there’s no major fiberglass damage you can just get some gel coat and repair yourself.
Unfortunately this is all I have at the moment. The second picture all the way to the left. Nearly missed it in the picture. You can see the red showing through the white

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
:Welcome:
That looks like a chip from bumping something. You should be fine with cleaning and drying the area, then a gelcoat repair.

cjanderson_13

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
:Welcome:
That looks like a chip from bumping something. You should be fine with cleaning and drying the area, then a gelcoat repair.
Thank you! Anything I should be concerned about or look for otherwise when doing a final inspection?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thank you! Anything I should be concerned about or look for otherwise when doing a final inspection?
It appears the boat has been wet slipped in a body of water with either zebra or quagga mussels. It is possible that there are mussels inside the cooling water passages. These can be dissolved using muriatic acid.

If there is this much corrosion on the outside the likelihood of the same corrosion being on the inside of the engine is likely. There are engine mounted anodes that should absolutely be checked to verify this. I’m sure the local boat shops deal with this type of corrosion and AIS (aquatic invasive species) so they would probably be your best source of information and mitigation.

Im pretty sure that Yamaha does not recommend wet slipping so in the future you may want to either take the boat out of the water after each use or incorporate some sort of lift to get the boat out of the water.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
As mentioned, check your engine anodes - one in each, and clean all pump surfaces and engine cooling passages, including the pilot outlet lines, and thermostat outlet which exits under the swim platform. Look for water intrusion to see if there's any other minor leaks. That chip isn't a big deal, but you want to make sure the area under the gelcoat is dry before you patch it. Fiberglass is not 100% waterproof, it's the gelcoat that seals the fiberglass as well as provide colour and gloss.

cjanderson_13

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
As mentioned, check your engine anodes - one in each, and clean all pump surfaces and engine cooling passages, including the pilot outlet lines, and thermostat outlet which exits under the swim platform. Look for water intrusion to see if there's any other minor leaks. That chip isn't a big deal, but you want to make sure the area under the gelcoat is dry before you patch it. Fiberglass is not 100% waterproof, it's the gelcoat that seals the fiberglass as well as provide colour and gloss.
Thank you!

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I'm going to give this a shot, I have a ding on my 2022 SX195 (in the blue) from bouncing off an aluminum dock.
1651834077383.png

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That should be the stuff. I have used it on my model and year it matched. Assuming you have the same color