• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to get your 2016+ AR192 or AR195 in a garage less than 7'

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As an update to this thread, thought I would mention that the loctite on mine failed again (not sure exactly why) somewhere around the middle of last season. I've been running without washer at all for the last 1/2 season, and don't intend to change. I let the tower down until it touches the steering wheel. I keep the steering wheel set somewhat towards the top, and the tower is just off of the windshield frames. Once I have the boat in the garage, the tower goes back up. Kind of a pain to lower/raise so often, but it makes getting into the boat in the garage a lot easier, and has just become part of the routine.

icemanj16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
@2kwik4u I am with you on that one. I am just not using them and will do the samething. It only needs to be this way for the time it takes to put it back in the garage.

On a side note to you all... Do you tow with covers on? I have the black deluxe premium and i plan on it. Any worries to do this?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2kwik4u I am with you on that one. I am just not using them and will do the samething. It only needs to be this way for the time it takes to put it back in the garage.

On a side note to you all... Do you tow with covers on? I have the black deluxe premium and i plan on it. Any worries to do this?
I've been towing with the shipping cover the last two seasons. Will be towing with the deluxe premium cover this season. Will report back on how it goes. Tons of threads on this elsewhere.

Pugasus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As an update to this thread, thought I would mention that the loctite on mine failed again (not sure exactly why) somewhere around the middle of last season. I've been running without washer at all for the last 1/2 season, and don't intend to change. I let the tower down until it touches the steering wheel. I keep the steering wheel set somewhat towards the top, and the tower is just off of the windshield frames. Once I have the boat in the garage, the tower goes back up. Kind of a pain to lower/raise so often, but it makes getting into the boat in the garage a lot easier, and has just become part of the routine.
First off, thanks to all who have contributed to this solution for small garages. Basic question here.... two of you have suggested that just removing the washers is your solution rather than adding bolt extenders etc. so if you remove the washers, how does the tower stay in the upright position? Are you removing the washers every time you store it and putting them back on every time you raise the tower?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First off, thanks to all who have contributed to this solution for small garages. Basic question here.... two of you have suggested that just removing the washers is your solution rather than adding bolt extenders etc. so if you remove the washers, how does the tower stay in the upright position? Are you removing the washers every time you store it and putting them back on every time you raise the tower?
So the washers are on the cable that holds the tower off the boat in the DOWN position. I just let the tower sit on the steering wheel for the 10min it takes to get it in the garage, then raise the tower back up.

When up, the standard hand wheel bolts hold it in place.

I'm on business travel but will be glad to take pics when I get home this weekend.

icemanj16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Same here. I can not stand the tower up in my garage once its in so i have installed bicycle hooks in the ceiling and ratchet strap it to them so that it holds it up so i can use the mooring cover on it. Its definitely a process but i don't mind it! I will get pics too when i get time.

Romanski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for this article, I was able to get her (2019 AR190) in with an inch to spare. 7ft tall entrance with the 1 inch lip at the bottom. Didn’t adjust tire pressure, just made the mod to the tower.

0A9FDB74-0D71-4E97-BF93-2FFC046CC4EA.jpeg117DB924-B4CA-453B-A6EA-36FDB577F45C.jpeg

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Interesting. I heard that 2019 model doesn’t need this mod, but I guess it still does.

icemanj16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
@Romanski You just solved my issue with taking the bimini off every time I put it in the garage. Flip the loose poles forward. Brilliant I had not tried that yet and was taking it off before i put it away.

icemanj16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
@jEt_jAk It definately needs the mod. The factory stops set the tower way to high and i have to lay it on the steering wheel to make it under the frame.

NJ-JetGuy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi all, brand new to the forum. Have been looking to upgrade from my 2009 Yamaha VX Waverunner to an AR195 Jet Boat. I have the same garage situation. Standard 7ft opening, just shy of 83” at the top of the jam (about 82.75” to be exact with my tape measure). Also have the one inch concrete lip on the garage floor which puts me right 81.50” when on the lip to the top of the rubber strip on the open garage door. Can probably stretch to 82” if I press up a bit on the open door in the track.

I really want a AR195 with the tower. I assume that the washer removal modification will still work on 2019 models? If so, do you guys feel confident that I will make it under the doorway with the tower folder down and inside of the windshield?

The other measurement I am looking to double check is the width of the boat when on the trailer. My door opening is going to be tight at 8’ 9.5”. The Yamaha website says 8’ 2” at the beam but do the trailer wheels add any additional width? I am thinking that I will have 2.5 to 3” on either side to squeeze her in and was thinking that a Trailer Valet (the one you crank) would simplify the parking and retrieval process and make it safe given the relatively light weight and the single axle trailer. Also have a straight and pretty flat concrete driveway. Depth will not be an issue, my garage if 40ft deep and 15” wide once past the door.

The photos with the tower mod look encouraging and seem to show maybe 2 additional inches of clearance, so I am thinking I will be ok with my lowest point at 81.5”? Seems to me that around 80” would be the point of contact.

Please let me know your thoughts and very excited to be here! With my mind put to rest with fitting the AR into the garage I can get back to shopping.

Thanks

-Chuck

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Hi all, brand new to the forum. Have been looking to upgrade from my 2009 Yamaha VX Waverunner to an AR195 Jet Boat. I have the same garage situation. Standard 7ft opening, just shy of 83” at the top of the jam (about 82.75” to be exact with my tape measure). Also have the one inch concrete lip on the garage floor which puts me right 81.50” when on the lip to the top of the rubber strip on the open garage door. Can probably stretch to 82” if I press up a bit on the open door in the track.

I really want a AR195 with the tower. I assume that the washer removal modification will still work on 2019 models? If so, do you guys feel confident that I will make it under the doorway with the tower folder down and inside of the windshield?

The other measurement I am looking to double check is the width of the boat when on the trailer. My door opening is going to be tight at 8’ 9.5”. The Yamaha website says 8’ 2” at the beam but do the trailer wheels add any additional width? I am thinking that I will have 2.5 to 3” on either side to squeeze her in and was thinking that a Trailer Valet (the one you crank) would simplify the parking and retrieval process and make it safe given the relatively light weight and the single axle trailer. Also have a straight and pretty flat concrete driveway. Depth will not be an issue, my garage if 40ft deep and 15” wide once past the door.

The photos with the tower mod look encouraging and seem to show maybe 2 additional inches of clearance, so I am thinking I will be ok with my lowest point at 81.5”? Seems to me that around 80” would be the point of contact.

Please let me know your thoughts and very excited to be here! With my mind put to rest with fitting the AR into the garage I can get back to shopping.

Thanks

-Chuck
You should be good to go!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes should work fine.

Stealth

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length

Thanks

-Chuck
Did you ever get your boat? How was the fit?

NJ-JetGuy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No, not yet. I am actually still shopping. I am now torn between the new 2020 AR195S and moving up to a 21' boat. Looking at the AR210 (concerned about the lower power TR1 engines and more basic interior), the 212 Limited S (love this boat but a bit pricey), and also going with a traditional vessel and ordering a 2020 Chaparral 21" SSi with a 150HP Yamaha Outboard. Of course the only shot for the garage is the 195.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wanted to circle back on this thread.

I've had the mod done on my 17AR190 since the day we brought it home. Only way to get it in the garage, love it.

I've NOT used the stops since the last time they rattled loose. I've been letting the tower sit on the steering wheel for the 15min it's down while I back it in the garage. I'm fortunate to have high ceilings in my garage and can set the tower back up once inside.

Few weeks ago, we came home and I was wiped out tired. Once I got the boat in the garage, I said the hell with it and left it for about 3-4 days with the tower down and resting on the steering wheel.......I now have a little imprint on the wheel that isn't reshaping like I wanted.

I think I'll be putting the stops back in the next time I'm out in the garage.

icemanj16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I do the same thing 2kwik4u does... we have the process ironed out :) I will NOT be putting my stops back in and keep a small piece of pool noodle for the steering wheel. So i set the tower on that and not directly on the steering wheel. It works well and leave no indent. If i dont get lazy i have a "J" hook in the ceiling i strap the tower up to so i can clean and keep it off the wheel.

I am pissed they release the "S" this year. I want the remote radio controls, removable seadek and the awesome 7" screen with the GPS, and tower speakers.... GRRRR but the boats color is boring... it needs color and is not flashy enough... I know they want it to look fancy. I need to work for Yamaha in the Graphic Design dept. :) I love the new 2020 AR195 in blue....

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Ya the 195s is nice spec wise but colors are dull. Tower speakers you can do yourself though. I did :)

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wanted to circle back on this thread.

I've had the mod done on my 17AR190 since the day we brought it home. Only way to get it in the garage, love it.

I've NOT used the stops since the last time they rattled loose. I've been letting the tower sit on the steering wheel for the 15min it's down while I back it in the garage. I'm fortunate to have high ceilings in my garage and can set the tower back up once inside.

Few weeks ago, we came home and I was wiped out tired. Once I got the boat in the garage, I said the hell with it and left it for about 3-4 days with the tower down and resting on the steering wheel.......I now have a little imprint on the wheel that isn't reshaping like I wanted.

I think I'll be putting the stops back in the next time I'm out in the garage.
Yes I tried to warn you guys not to let the tower sit in the wheel long. It weighs a lot and causes an imprint but the biggest worry would be the wear and tear on the steering wheel and what’s behind there due to the weight on it. If you use blue loctite on the stop threads you shouldn’t have to worry about them coming loose. Mine never did after initially testing and found they worked loose. After that day I added loctite and never had an issue. Just be sure to have the depth set on the stops you want before adding the loctite. After that you’re golden. I set my stops as you can see very close to the steering wheel but not touching it.

sleepybear723

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length

Thanks

-Chuck
@NJ-JetGuy
Looking at getting one of the new 195 S models this winter.

I was doing some looking around, my garage opening dimensions are almost exactly what yours are. 8' 10" wide, 83" tall. I think we're ok on the height.

The specs for the older AR 192 and 190's was an 8'0" beam. The 2019+ models have a 8'2" beam.

Found this thread that says the older trailers were 104" wide ( 8' 8" wide). https://jetboaters.net/threads/ar-192-trailer-width.10865/

I'm definitely OK on length, probably ok on height with the mod, but wonder if she's going to be too wide... Anyone have a measurement on a 2019 width?