• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

I know some of you enjoy cigars - share!

One thing you want to check is if the air valve on your Pelican case is "automatic", or if it's manual - if it's equipped with one. I have one that's manual, and someone (probably my grandsons) had tinkered with it and opened it up. The boveda packs inside got crispier way faster than usual, so that's what tipped me off to that.

Boveda packs are NOT single-use, and can be rehydrated, in spite of what they recommend. Put the whole thing in some water and leave it until the pack feels like it's filled with jelly again. Let the exterior dry, and then you can put it back in your humidor. The gel inside won't absorb more than the % it's rated for, so don't worry about it being too wet. The paper wrapping is the only thing to be concerned about while it's still wet.

My favorite Hemingway is the Short Story. I think @Jimmers may have posted a Pic of his humidor with a few of those. That's a Cameroon wrapper, and if you're a fan, that's something to look for in future purchases. See the 2 I recommended above. Not all Cameroon wrappers are alike, and it's interesting how they manage such different flavors.

The size can also greatly influence the flavor, so that's something to be aware of while you're sampling things. Corona's or Lancero's are supposed to be more flavorful, in general, but I can't speak to that, as I'm a fan of Toro and Gordo sizes.
Never thought about size affecting flavor. Most of what I’ve purchased has been Robusto, I think. I was told that was an average size.

Never thought about size affecting flavor. Most of what I’ve purchased has been Robusto, I think. I was told that was an average size.

Robustos are definitely the most common size, and it's actually difficult to find a cigar that doesn't offer that as one of the sizes in the lineup.

Torpedoes are a favorite for some, and depending on the angle of your cut, you can direct the draw wherever you want to in your mouth, and perhaps get some more flavors from the stick due to that shape.

If/when you decide to move up to a "good" cutter, you'll find it to be a much nicer experience as well. The easiest way to make sure you don't cut off too much or too little is to cheat a bit. Set your cutter on a flat surface, and hold your cigar upright, putting the cap through the hole and onto the table, and then cut. It's practically foolproof. Some may look down their nose at you. I would mention that you're new to this, and if they have some tips, to offer them up. I still cut some smokes this way, and I wouldn't consider it to be a bad thing at all to start your smoke off with a good cut. You CAN wreck your cigar with a bad cut, so I wouldn't worry what someone thought of me, and I suggest you adopt the same view 😄

I have had a multitude of cutters, and I've given away or left many that were serviceable, but not at the quality of my 2 favorite brands. Xikar and Palio are, IMO, the best cutters around. Colibri makes some decent cutters as well, and their V-cutter is outstanding. Same thing, the cut can change the experience. A punch cutter is practically foolproof, as it just cuts a little circle from the cap, but I would make sure it's sharp, otherwise it could take too much effort and cause you to split the cap. A good punch cutter is a joy to use, BUT, a punch cut can concentrate too much of the smoke or cause it to become bitter too soon. I've got a Xikar punch on my keys at all times, and I'm going to be picking up the PerfecPunch next week. I've got a Nub punch cutter that's okay, but it was a throw-in promo, and after I get the PerfecPunch, I'll be giving the Nub punch to a buddy who wants to try it.

For now, whatever you have is perfectly fine. If you choose to invest more, I recommend CigarBid or some other sale to get a Xikar or Palio. The msrp for both can be a bit of a sticker shock, but none of my Palio's were more than $15 from Cbid, and my Xikar was half the regular price since I didn't care about the color. Still a lifetime warranty and free sharpening, if needed. The Colibri V-cutter was probably my most expensive cutter, but you'll see why if you look at the limited offerings in V-cutters.

Same with lighters - a triple torch is great for what I prefer, but is completely overkill for corona's and other smaller sizes, and single torches can be had for a song. The only lighter I wouldn't recommend is a stock Zippo. The fuel may add unwanted smells or flavors. They make torch inserts for Zippos, so you can use that if you have a favorite Zippo. Thunderbird or Vector is the only insert I would trust, and I'd give the edge to the Vector inserts.

On to the smokes! Yesterday, I revisited the Ramon Bueso Oscuro. It definitely benefits from some humidor time. Smoother, better draw, more subtle flavors than straight from shipping. Everything just mellowed out nicely.

1000025872.jpg

Today, another La Flor Dominicana, but a robusto. This size smokes better than the Toro, but I find it to be a bit harsher than I'd prefer.

No matter the size, they always feel jam packed, and ready for a longer smoke than other cigars, and they have yet to disappoint. The super Gordo is my favorite, but sourcing them at better prices is the challenge with them. I'd recommend them after a meal, as they pack a nicotine punch that doesn't sit well with me on an empty stomach. I'd also recommend a lower humidity, or pull one out the day before. If they're kept at 69%+ I've found them to want to go out, requiring frequent relights or smoking them too fast in an effort to keep them lit, which doesn't help.

1000025871.jpg

Back