• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I made a boat stand

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Remember your whole boat is supported at 3 points now, much more pressure on those pressure points. Probably over 1000lbs on each square ft. It was not made for that.
nice stand I like it.

Sonic Blue

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Are you sure you are happy with the thickness of those gusset plates? That’s less than 1/8”. It’s a really cool design but I’m not sure I‘d crawl under it. Something tells me it could twist When you work under the boat and it’s moving Back and forth. Maybe my picture isn’t clear enough or I’m over paranoid but that scares me for some reason. just putting it out there because I’d hate to see something happen If the math / weight doesn’t add up.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Remember your whole boat is supported at 3 points now, much more pressure on those pressure points. Probably over 1000lbs on each square ft. It was not made for that.
nice stand I like it.
Yes, those are likely very close numbers. I watched quite a few videos of people in the boat profession who lift boats like this all the time. Still makes me nervous, no question, but I made sure to lift somewhat close to the edge, where it will get support strength from vertical planes, and not just horizontal surfaces.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are you sure you are happy with the thickness of those gusset plates? That’s less than 1/8”. It’s a really cool design but I’m not sure I‘d crawl under it. Something tells me it could twist When you work under the boat and it’s moving Back and forth. Maybe my picture isn’t clear enough or I’m over paranoid but that scares me for some reason. just putting it out there because I’d hate to see something happen If the math / weight doesn’t add up.
Yes, just over 1/8”. That is actually one thing that I would go thicker on were I to do another one. I was debating when I built it, but the next step up is 3/16”, and we didn’t have any off-fall of that laying around, I would’ve had to dive into a full sheet. Off-fall pieces are free to me. I am not too worried, though. The 2X2 square tubing crossmember is 1/4” wall, and will take some serious twist. Also, the bases are 24”, so while not massive, it’s got some good stability. As long as my front stand stays solid, and nothing happens with it, I’m not worried about the frame. That said, I’m not gonna take a nap underneath it. I might be crazy, but I ain’t dumb...lol

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, just over 1/8”. That is actually one thing that I would go thicker on were I to do another one. I was debating when I built it, but the next step up is 3/16”, and we didn’t have any off-fall of that laying around, I would’ve had to dive into a full sheet. Off-fall pieces are free to me. I am not too worried, though. The 2X2 square tubing crossmember is 1/4” wall, and will take some serious twist. Also, the bases are 24”, so while not massive, it’s got some good stability. As long as my front stand stays solid, and nothing happens with it, I’m not worried about the frame. That said, I’m not gonna take a nap underneath it. I might be crazy, but I ain’t dumb...lol
I dont want the SX version, please upgrade mine to the XD with 1/4 everywhere. Still royal blue so it will match. :thumbsup:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Since we are discussing boat stands.......

A few weeks ago when I went out to LSC just to take a look at the water, I saw all the boats going up and down the sides of the road, in yards, etc. Of course a lot of these boats are 30' - 50' plus. Anyhow, I was amazed on how they stored them for the winter. Just some blocking under the back on each side and a lot had the front keel on just a 4" x 4" up about 3-4 feet or so off the ground and that was it. Non of it looked safe at all, like they could just roll off. Never really noticed it before. It looked somewhat dangerous to me.

Is this common practice?

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, so I had a couple things wrong in my original post. I used 1" ACME thread, not 3/4", and I used 1/2" plates for load dispersion. Here's a generalized cut list, along with a screenshot of a simple Sketchup drawing.

Bases:
2 - 2.5"X2.5"X3/16" square tubing, 24" long (you could easily go a little longer)
2 - 2.5"X2.5"X3/16" square tubing, 6" long (these must be 3/16" wall, to allow 2" tubing to fit inside without excessive play)
2 - 1" schedule 40 pipe, 19" long (I'd probably drop this down to 18")
1 - 2"X2"X1/4" square tubing, 44" long (I'd probably add two inches to this one)
6 - 3/16" or 1/4" sheet, cut to triangles for gussets (I used 10GA, but wish I'd gone a little thicker)
2 - 1/2" plate steel, 6"X10"

Misc things: I welded "stoppers" on the load plates to create a little bit of a saddle for the ACME rods, they are very necessary IMHO. I also drilled holes and welded two 1/2" NC nuts to the 6" tubings to clamp the two frames together. Obviously need bolts to match. I welded a 1" fender washer to the top of the pipe, where the ACME T-handle nut sits, to give it a good surface to ride. The ACME rod and t-handles I got from mcmaster.com. I got a 3' piece, and cut it in half. I haven't yet, but I will be beveling the top of the ACME rods, for two reasons: fit the saddles better, and it should also help keep the rod from trying to turn when I crank the t-handles. I didn't want to weld the load plates to the ACME rod, in case I ever want to lift a different boat.

boat stand.JPG

Sonic Blue

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Awesome explanation and diagram. If you have any 10 guage left maby you could just double up the gussets. Lots of room. Or triple it. extra plate on ether side. Just some reinforcement. It is a prototype. Your skills are good enough to make it look just as good as it does now.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Awesome explanation and diagram. If you have any 10 guage left maby you could just double up the gussets. Lots of room. Or triple it. extra plate on ether side. Just some reinforcement. It is a prototype. Your skills are good enough to make it look just as good as it does now.
I’ll probably just take some 1/4” X 2” flat and sandwich the 10GA with one on each side, or something similar. I also think if I were to make another one, I’d probably make the 6” pieces 8-10” long, simply to get more strength from the gusset. Due to the angle of the hull, the weight is pushing the posts “outward”, and that’s where it’s the weakest in all reality. I’ll get done what I need done for this year, and then look to do some tweaks.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
:thumbsup: Very nice, I assume that you also have a custom made creeper!
Lol, nah... you can see my creeper in the third pic... good ol’ Bone creeper. But it almost rolls too easily for sanding, etc.