• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

If not Yamaha then what?

Taylorman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Yeah still not getting it. I have friends who have new boats with inboards and outboards, and beside oil changes and lubing transmissions and lower units checking coolant, it is pretty much about the same. They may spend a bit more time but I haven't seen any downtime for maintenance at all. Perhaps if someone owns a much older boat that requires a lot more up keep sure.

I have kids they have kids no one has had any downtime, except for me with the steering cable fiasco last spring for a couple weeks. There dealers are also much more responsive.

Don't get me wrong I like the boats but as these prices continaually climb there are alternatives.
I hear what you’re saying regarding newer boats vs older boats. Maybe your friends dealers are more responsive but that doesn’t mean all IO and OB dealers are more responsive. It’s just not an applicable argument for this boat discussion outside of your specific area. And based on the research I’ve been doing there’s still a sizable price increase for these alternatives. Of course, that too is subjective.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@RobbieO I want to fish and go out into the big water, the Admiral wants a toilet/head and enjoys the smaller inland lakes that are super warm and don't have a lot of chop, the kids just want to tube and lay around and swim. So what I have now works. I have thought that when we go to Navarre In August that I am really going to enjoy it alot.

I have handles some rough water coming off the Great Lakes, but it isn't fun. Would like something that punches all boxes but is still trailerable. So probably 25-26'. Maybe a 25' FSH, Maybe an AR250 or Maybe something else. This year I won't get to use our boat that much since I am taking care of my parents. So I have another year to think about it.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I hear what you’re saying regarding newer boats vs older boats. Maybe your friends dealers are more responsive but that doesn’t mean all IO and OB dealers are more responsive. It’s just not an applicable argument for this boat discussion outside of your specific area. And based on the research I’ve been doing there’s still a sizable price increase for these alternatives. Of course, that too is subjective.
The Dealer is a Yamaha dealer and can't service Yamaha's with warranty issues or get parts. They also service MercCruiser and Mercury Outboards and are able to get the parts and warranty work done.

All boats are going up, but there are alternatives and they have stock. I reached out to a SeaRay Dealer about the SDX 250 that someone posted just for shits and grins. They have one and a two more on the way and will work on the price and throw cover, etc in. Two have the 300hp and the third is the 350 hp. From what I understand it is a pretty decent boat. I really like the layout. Of course that is all I know right now. Am I going to buy one? Most likely not. Looks to be right around $99,000. Have no idea how it would handle out in the Great Lakes or its design though,.

Last edited:

The Canuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think quality control overall has gone down. Neighbors have a Supra boat - fully maxed out, and all controls on the steering wheel went to shit. Thankfully this happened at the end of last season, and they could wait all winter for a new steering wheel to come in. But they only got said new steering wheel last month. Maybe nothing else will be wrong with it, but then again, when you spend $150,000+ on a boat, maybe they take a little more time in putting it together.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What I may end up doing, and I have to see how things shake out, is keep the AR210 and buy a much older Center console that I would rig for the big water and fishing. Increase in insurance is not that much and then everyone is happy. The Admiral thinks I lost my mind and may veto that.

The Canuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What I may end up doing, and I have to see how things shake out, is keep the AR210 and buy a much older Center console that I would rig for the big water and fishing. Increase in insurance is not that much and then everyone is happy. The Admiral thinks I lost my mind and may veto that.
... but then you take the guys out fishing on the center console, and she can take the ladies out on the 210. Seems like a win-win situation. ;)

Taylorman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
The Dealer is a Yamaha dealer and can't service Yamaha's with warranty issues or get parts. They also service MercCruiser and Mercury Outboards and are able to get the parts and warranty work done.

All boats are going up, but there are alternatives and they have stock. I reached out to a SeaRay Dealer about the SDX 250 that someone posted just for shits and grins. They have one and a two more on the way and will work on the price and throw cover, etc in. Two have the 300hp and the third is the 350 hp. From what I understand it is a pretty decent boat. I really like the layout. Of course that is all I know right now. Am I going to buy one? Most likely not. Looks to be right around $99,000. Have no idea how it would handle out in the Great Lakes or its design though,.
We don’t seem have the same luxury of inventory here in NC. I’ve found a dealer a couple hours away with a 2019 SDX 250 for $119,900. Haven’t called to test the price on it or a new one though. May do that after hearing your experience.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We don’t seem have the same luxury of inventory here in NC. I’ve found a dealer a couple hours away with a 2019 SDX 250 for $119,900. Haven’t called to test the price on it or a new one though. May do that after hearing your experience.
I get that. I live 15 miles from Lake St. Clair and I am surrounded by water everywhere. No shortage of marina's or boat dealers. Although the Yamaha dealers are all bone dry on everything. When the guy sends me over the email with prices which he said he would do today after our conversation on the phone, I will PM it over to you for some info.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow that is a lot of boat. Most assuredly out of my price range. Big boat as well, would be a great ride out in the big water I bet.

I guess I would hate to give up the jets and shallower running when needed.

ALSO, I don't want to be THAT GUY who drops that in a 500-600 acre lake the Admiral likes to go to...... :)

EDIT: $225k?? Unless I hit the lottery that is WAY out of my price range.

Last edited:

Taylorman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I get that. I live 15 miles from Lake St. Clair and I am surrounded by water everywhere. No shortage of marina's or boat dealers. Although the Yamaha dealers are all bone dry on everything. When the guy sends me over the email with prices which he said he would do today after our conversation on the phone, I will PM it over to you for some info.
I would appreciate that very much.

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Wow that is a lot of boat. Most assuredly out of my price range. Big boat as well, would be a great ride out in the big water I bet.

I guess I would hate to give up the jets and shallower running when needed.

ALSO, I don't want to THAT GUY who drops that in a 500-600 acre lake the Admiral likes to go to...... :)
they do have a 23 26 and 28 footer

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Another great thing about the Yammies—LOW MAINTENANCE
This really is a misconception. Maintenance on my MasterCraft consists of changing the oil 2 times a year and changing the transmission oil at the end of the season. Oil changes are way easier on my MC than they were on my Yamaha.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

The SDX with 300hp is 99k?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The SDX with 300hp is 99k?
That is what he indicated on our call. I put my info in on the website and he called me back in about 30 minutes. I really only wanted to see if I put in my information would it show me the prices like some boat manufactures do. I was looking since someone here posted the model and I went to check it out and REALLY thought the layout was cool and very convenient. Anyhow he called me and indicated he had one with a 300hp coming in and what was my budget. I arbitrarily said I don't want to go over $100k, having no idea the price on them. He said that, that was great news since he could probably do $99,000. He said he would send over the price quotes for me to look at. And that was about it. Still haven't received the email as of yet.

Went over to Boat Trader and saw prices all over the place from $105 - $150k. I don't know if he was talking the Inboard or OB. I don't see a new one going that low, maybe a used one. Anyhow when the email does come I can PM it to you as well @adrianp89 After looking at Boat Trader $99k seems too low.

ROFL, I am looking at boats I could never afford :) till kids are done with school, etc.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
That is what he indicated on our call. I put my info in on the website and he called me back in about 30 minutes. I really only wanted to see if I put in my information would it show me the prices like some boat manufactures do. I was looking since someone here posted the model and I went to check it out and REALLY thought the layout was cool and very convenient. Anyhow he called me and indicated he had one with a 300hp coming in and what was my budget. I arbitrarily said I don't want to go over $100k, having no idea the price on them. He said that, that was great news since he could probably do $99,000. He said he would send over the price quotes for me to look at. And that was about it. Still haven't received the email as of yet.

Went over to Boat Trader and saw prices all over the place from $105 - $150k. I don't know if he was talking the Inboard or OB. I don't see a new one going that low, maybe a used one. Anyhow when the email does come I can PM it to you as well @adrianp89 After looking at Boat Trader $99k seems too low.

ROFL, I am looking at boats I could never afford :) till kids are done with school, etc.
I saw a couple of new Supras this last weekend. Nice boats. I could never afgord one.

Taylorman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
That’s a damn sexy boat. A dealer a couple hours away has one of these without the hardtop. Definitely more boat than we need which translates to “I want it” lol! I’m going to see how eager they are to get rid of it but with a list of $200k+ when I’ve self imposed a $100k cap leaves a big delta lol. Doubt my wife would appreciate repurposing the lake house fund for this boat but maybe all three of my boys don’t need to go to college lol!

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If I ever change boats I would get something with a berth

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This really is a misconception. Maintenance on my MasterCraft consists of changing the oil 2 times a year and changing the transmission oil at the end of the season. Oil changes are way easier on my MC than they were on my Yamaha.
100% agree. Those that think our Yamaha boats are an easy oil change, have never serviced a current outboard. There is a reason outboard motors are so popular.

I serviced a Yamaha 150 and a Mercury 150 last fall for buddies. Everything is color coded, you get to stand upright while doing it, and all the drip and mess drops right down into recyclable containers with no sucking or dripping. By far the easiest maintenance of all boats. Regular lubrication of the lower unit is cake.

I think a ton of things we love about our boats is not as game changing as we make it out to be, we are just justifying why we love our boats. And that's fine. I still don't know what I would replace mine with, but there are way more options than you can imagine.