• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

If not Yamaha then what?

EJG5150

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
I upgraded from an AR240 that was pretty much stock and didn’t do anything real well to a 252XE. It’s far from a dedicated wake boat but the appeal of having built in ballast and wake control options have really built my boys’ confidence on the water. They say buy your second boat first, so even though wake boarding and surfing aren’t on your list now, with growing boys they may be soon. I honestly was looking for a 252SD with its more adult features like swim up stern seats but I’m glad I got the X series.
View attachment 181429View attachment 181430
Nice looking boat and I’m all for having the options of the wake sports .
I went from a new Tige boat , my first boat, to a 2022 scarab 255id wake series, couldn’t be happier as our needs changed a bit, but I can still surf.

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
Beautiful boat. First time I’ve ever seen it with the Bimini top on. Looks really good. Did you buy that from Chatlee in April by chance? I had a chance to buy this same boat then but passed in part because I didn’t know about the Bimini and I know my wife wants the swim up seats. Seeing these pics I realize we could’ve been happy with it. I’m not upset I passed on the white one more recently but this black one is sharp.
Got it at Performance East in Goldsboro. They had the white one too but the red tower sold me. Bimini top is ok—not huge but easy to set up and take down.

Taylorman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Got it at Performance East in Goldsboro. They had the white one too but the red tower sold me. Bimini top is ok—not huge but easy to set up and take down.
Would’ve been a fun coincidence but still cool to see it with the top on. Not sure how the size compares to the SE/SD models but I see it doesn’t look as sturdy as those models since it doesn’t have the cage up top. It’s still a sharp look. Glad it’s black for that boat and not gray. Even my wife thought it looked good with it up. The red tower really works well on that boat as nice accent.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
While I do really lust after the 255 or 252 FSH, if I’m going to be spending a little over $100K I’m probably going to go a bit bigger and look at a twin outboard center console that has more features. A 25’ CC with twin 150 or 200 outboards is going to get 3.5-4 mpg and have much greater range than say the 255 FSH. With Yamahas and their helm master system you really don’t need a trolling motor for slow speed trolling and or spot lock.

But, and this is a big but, I’d really miss the full beam swim step. The other option would be a CC with twin I/O diesels and duo prop drives, and Volvos aquamatic drive system that operates like the helm master set up. With that boat you’d have the swim deck on the stern.

Currently my friend and I are keeping our eyes open for a used Wellcraft 270 coastal. We’d refit it with a pair of either 115 or 150 Yamaha outboards and have a fear no evil boat that would have a cabin, small galley and wet head for taking on adventures in comfort. Or just going out during the shoulder seasons when it is cold and could be raining or snowing..it would be great to have a stratoglass enclosure with a wabasto heater keeping things nice and comfy inside. This boat would have been great for the early walleye tournament this year when it was snowing and super windy.

But as others have said, Yamaha gives the most bang for your buck! I’m very happy with my 210 FSH set up…it does everything I want to do and then some, and gets 3mpg all day long at best cruise and 2.6 mpg at WOT.

Last edited:

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am curious what compares in the price range of the 25'? The Sea-Ray SDX is a 150k.
It's not a 1:1 comparison, that's for sure. If you compare MSRP, yes, the SDX is 150K, but Searay is still discounting off MSRP - just not as much as before. When I was at the boat show earlier this year, they were offering the 25' SDX for around 130 out the door. Sure, its 30K more than you'll pay for a Yamaha today, but that delta used to be almost 60 grand. Now that they are priced closer, the premium is something I would consider. Chapparal, Regal, and Monterey (I don't think they are as nice/modern as the rest), all had 24-25' offerings in the 115-135 range. FWIW, all of those were 'reasonably equipped', and I felt on-par with the Yamaha standard offering. With any of those brands you can go nuts with the order sheet and get them pushing close to 175K if you want.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Definitely nice boats. I’d go with a NXT24 over a 255XD if I wanted a wake boat. Assuming they aren’t going for list price it’s not much difference.
MC's you can still get below MSRP easily. Especially if you custom order.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
It's not a 1:1 comparison, that's for sure. If you compare MSRP, yes, the SDX is 150K, but Searay is still discounting off MSRP - just not as much as before. When I was at the boat show earlier this year, they were offering the 25' SDX for around 130 out the door. Sure, its 30K more than you'll pay for a Yamaha today, but that delta used to be almost 60 grand. Now that they are priced closer, the premium is something I would consider. Chapparal, Regal, and Monterey (I don't think they are as nice/modern as the rest), all had 24-25' offerings in the 115-135 range. FWIW, all of those were 'reasonably equipped', and I felt on-par with the Yamaha standard offering. With any of those brands you can go nuts with the order sheet and get them pushing close to 175K if you want.
I would like to see a SDX in person - the 250 looks great on their website. Wonder how their build quality is these days.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'd try to find something as fuel efficient as the Yamaha, capable of crossing to Bimini and good looking.

Pretty sure that this boat would do, maybe just not the most efficient when it comes to fuel. Just something about it makes me want it. @ourlee
View attachment 181407
What is it about Cobalt boats? They use very classy and timeless colors, style and very functional swimdecks for an I/O. There is one similar to this on a local lake. It must be one step larger, as it has a walkthrough on the starboard side around the engine bay. Amazing looking boat, and for all I know, it could be 15 years old. Truly timeless boats. Love 'em.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What is it about Cobalt boats? They use very classy and timeless colors, style and very functional swimdecks for an I/O. There is one similar to this on a local lake. It must be one step larger, as it has a walkthrough on the starboard side around the engine bay. Amazing looking boat, and for all I know, it could be 15 years old. Truly timeless boats. Love 'em.
I remember first seeing that boat when he posted it and my instant response was
Damn GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would like to see a SDX in person - the 250 looks great on their website. Wonder how their build quality is these days.
I think they look and feel better than ever, haven’t water tested one though. I was worried what was going to happen to them with the Brunswick drama, but seems to be an improvement.

The OB SDX boats are gorgeous. The 280 is on my short list for the next boat if we don’t go center console.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow I just looked at the Sea Ray SDX 250 on their site as well. What a great looking and functional boat. pretty neat. Guessing a new one around $120,000 ???

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I'd try to find something as fuel efficient as the Yamaha, capable of crossing to Bimini and good looking.

Pretty sure that this boat would do, maybe just not the most efficient when it comes to fuel. Just something about it makes me want it. @ourlee
View attachment 181407
Yeah, just the name.

Taylorman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Thanks for all the great suggestions. This gives me a lot to think about if the 252se doesn’t come before the model year switchover. Despite these great suggestions I’m still finding it hard to beat Yamaha’s value for the money and fit for our intended use. I could pay more for better quality fit/finish but I’d be giving up something significant (to us) in return. The good news is that if I do get pushed to a 2023 I’ll have some time to reevaluate what matters most.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Thanks for all the great suggestions. This gives me a lot to think about if the 252se doesn’t come before the model year switchover. Despite these great suggestions I’m still finding it hard to beat Yamaha’s value for the money and fit for our intended use. I could pay more for better quality fit/finish but I’d be giving up something significant (to us) in return. The good news is that if I do get pushed to a 2023 I’ll have some time to reevaluate what matters most.
Another great thing about the Yammies—LOW MAINTENANCE

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
yeah, but lets be serious about the low maintenance....... Does it really matter in the big picture. I already rub the thing with diaper and spend time cleaning tightening things up. And I only have been out 1 time this year so far. I spend more time in modifications and fixing things up that yamaha had QA issues on as well as adding mods a lot of other boats would have. I just spent 2 hours fixing crap outside in the boat today because the misalignment of some of the doors and engine bay irks the heck out of me. IF a bit more maintenance is required for a nicer boat that fits our lifestyle, it is not a big deal. With the boat I have for what I bought it for in the low 40's new 2 years ago I feel we are doing fine. I do want a bigger boat 25-26' probably, but time will tell what that will be. At the prices these things are going up it is tough to tell.

Taylorman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
yeah, but lets be serious about the low maintenance....... Does it really matter in the big picture. I already rub the thing with diaper and spend time cleaning tightening things up. And I only have been out 1 time this year so far. I spend more time in modifications and fixing things up that yamaha had QA issues on as well as adding mods a lot of other boats would have. I just spent 2 hours fixing crap outside in the boat today because the misalignment of some of the doors and engine bay irks the heck out of me. IF a bit more maintenance is required for a nicer boat that fits our lifestyle, it is not a big deal. With the boat I have for what I bought it for in the low 40's new 2 years ago I feel we are doing fine. I do want a bigger boat 25-26' probably, but time will tell what that will be. At the prices these things are going up it is tough to tell.
It matters a great deal to me. I have young kids and boys at that. I already know they’ll do cosmetic damage of varying degrees. So fit/finish issues, while they’d bother me, are far more acceptable be a we’re still on the water. Down time for maintenance is time off the water. So, yes, it does matter for me but everyone is in different situations and places of life.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah still not getting it. I have friends who have new boats with inboards and outboards, and beside oil changes and lubing transmissions and lower units checking coolant, it is pretty much about the same. They may spend a bit more time but I haven't seen any downtime for maintenance at all. Perhaps if someone owns a much older boat that requires a lot more up keep sure.

I have kids they have kids no one has had any downtime, except for me with the steering cable fiasco last spring for a couple weeks. There dealers are also much more responsive.

Don't get me wrong I like the boats but as these prices continaually climb and the Quality stays in the same vein for no additional innovation, there are alternatives.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I would like to get a 275 someday. Issue is storage. I can rent a slip with a lift for $355 month. Can’t swing that right now with my other storage costs. I know you want a center console, but your kids are still doing watersports. Tough decision for you.