• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

If not Yamaha then what?

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
That’s a damn sexy boat. A dealer a couple hours away has one of these without the hardtop. Definitely more boat than we need which translates to “I want it” lol! I’m going to see how eager they are to get rid of it but with a list of $200k+ when I’ve self imposed a $100k cap leaves a big delta lol. Doubt my wife would appreciate repurposing the lake house fund for this boat but maybe all three of my boys don’t need to go to college lol!
I'm in (not in?) the same boat. Put a deposit down for a 255XD last year. Still waiting. The Chaparral surfs (26 or 28) would definitely be my "then what" boat. That said, I got quotes from two dealers that had them on hand and they were significantly more expensive - quoted in the 200s.... I didn't really push to see what discounts they could offer, at the delta just seemed too much to close. The 23 surf is much less $, less than the 25ft Yamahas, but doesn't seem nearly as nice to me.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I went through the same supply chain issue with my SX195 last year, to the point I was looking at used boats with outboards. I did a ton of research and comparisons on the different jet boat manufactures and chose Yamaha for its looks, reliability and what you get as a standard package/warranty. I was glad I didn't cancel my order, once I received the boat it was exactly what we wanted / needed. I did start looking at fish/ski boats like Tahoe's that are reasonably priced with a 150 outboard, but the finish was lacking what you get on the Yamaha's and was a considerably heavier boat for the vehicle I was towing with. I had to weigh the factors of wait and be happy, or pull the trigger on a boat I originally didnt want but wanted one now.

Taylorman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I'm in (not in?) the same boat. Put a deposit down for a 255XD last year. Still waiting. The Chaparral surfs (26 or 28) would definitely be my "then what" boat. That said, I got quotes from two dealers that had them on hand and they were significantly more expensive - quoted in the 200s.... I didn't really push to see what discounts they could offer, at the delta just seemed too much to close. The 23 surf is much less $, less than the 25ft Yamahas, but doesn't seem nearly as nice to me.
Very helpful insight. Much appreciated. Through this little research project I’ve come to have a better appreciation for the value Yamaha provides. Even if they bump 8-12% for the new model year the value is still unmatched. Of course, spending more will get a boat with higher quality features/finishes but I’m not at a stage where that equals higher value to me.

Taylorman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I went through the same supply chain issue with my SX195 last year, to the point I was looking at used boats with outboards. I did a ton of research and comparisons on the different jet boat manufactures and chose Yamaha for its looks, reliability and what you get as a standard package/warranty. I was glad I didn't cancel my order, once I received the boat it was exactly what we wanted / needed. I did start looking at fish/ski boats like Tahoe's that are reasonably priced with a 150 outboard, but the finish was lacking what you get on the Yamaha's and was a considerably heavier boat for the vehicle I was towing with. I had to weigh the factors of wait and be happy, or pull the trigger on a boat I originally didnt want but wanted one now.
This is my dilemma as well. I’m happy with the pros/cons of the 252SE. Going with another boat, even to the X series, changes that dynamic. Less on the X series than an IO or OB but it’s still different (mostly because the wifey wants the swim up seats and warm interior. Taking both from her isn’t the fight I want lol). Looking at other boating options I feel similar to what you described.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
100% agree. Those that think our Yamaha boats are an easy oil change, have never serviced a current outboard. There is a reason outboard motors are so popular.

I serviced a Yamaha 150 and a Mercury 150 last fall for buddies. Everything is color coded, you get to stand upright while doing it, and all the drip and mess drops right down into recyclable containers with no sucking or dripping. By far the easiest maintenance of all boats. Regular lubrication of the lower unit is cake.

I think a ton of things we love about our boats is not as game changing as we make it out to be, we are just justifying why we love our boats. And that's fine. I still don't know what I would replace mine with, but there are way more options than you can imagine.
I have to agree on the oil change procedure… its a bit of a pita and your lower back better not have issues. I have started using a piece of plywood laid across the engine bay to lay on when having to reach all the way in the back to do stuff. Keeps me from having to lay on the top of the engines… having a friend run the vacuum pump while you handle the suction tube makes things a lot easier, at least I’m sure it would if I had help LOL!

I still love my little FSH though! The pics are a tad off topic, but I went and boat camped last week and it was super fun!

93174146-12FF-4579-ACC6-3C6D9C3D2EB7.jpeg57D3D321-87C4-4698-B66F-35C70E518706.jpeg88C978AB-EED0-4454-9391-16E682E9E359.jpeg

Edit: Was just looking at recent comments in this thread and reviewed my post….I think my little FSH does it all…I can fish out of it with 5 people on board comfortably, throw the casting deck / sun pad in the front and the girls have a good place to lay out (more soon with addition of the swim deck pads) and a place to spend the night or set up the table and have a nice spot to hang out and have lunch, stuff big Mable in the 5 gallon bucket storage locker then break her out after a morning of fishing and tow people around, put 6-8 people on board and take a trip and see the sights, and last but not least hang out on the swim deck (I land the majority of my fish on the swim deck) for hours at a favorite spot. It’s the swim deck that really makes these boats length highly usable, and it’s the one thing I always come back to when comparing it against other boats.

Last edited:

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What is it about Cobalt boats? They use very classy and timeless colors, style and very functional swimdecks for an I/O. There is one similar to this on a local lake. It must be one step larger, as it has a walkthrough on the starboard side around the engine bay. Amazing looking boat, and for all I know, it could be 15 years old. Truly timeless boats. Love 'em.
I have a neighbor with this exact boat... it's drop dead gorgeous.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Cobalts are lovely. Pricey but lovely.

Taylorman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I’ve narrowed down non-Yamaha options to the Regal LS6 Surf, Chaparral 26 Surf, and Cobalt R6 Surf. All 3 use the Malibu surf gates and Volvo Penta engines. Cobalt and Chaparral have power swim deck options but Regal’s is still a nice deck. I haven’t decided if I value the power fold down or view it as on more thing that could break. Other than price, what would you all compare to differentiate between these options?

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
When I was comparing jet boat manufactures, I looked across the different manufactures for the following items:

What do I get in a standard package such as trailer, bimini, warranty, power plants for size boat I'm looking for.

I also came across a good YouTube link comparing the different manufactures from a " non bias" reviewer, and he broke down these items side by side so you can visually see what he is talking about. As I came from a long line of charter captains in Ohio, we only had big boats on Lake Erie, so me buying a jet boat, I did some extra research.

Taylorman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
When I was comparing jet boat manufactures, I looked across the different manufactures for the following items:

What do I get in a standard package such as trailer, bimini, warranty, power plants for size boat I'm looking for.

I also came across a good YouTube link comparing the different manufactures from a " non bias" reviewer, and he broke down these items side by side so you can visually see what he is talking about. As I came from a long line of charter captains in Ohio, we only had big boats on Lake Erie, so me buying a jet boat, I did some extra research.
Good advice. Thank you. I have started researching forums for the boats I listed and while they exist there wasn’t a ton of info on these specific models I’ve found so far. My research is in the early phase but this forum and the wealth of knowledge on Yamaha boats, and boats in general, really stands above anything else I’ve seen thus far. YouTube is also one of my ‘go to’ research assets.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
24' under 100k, and been for sale for a few weeks. Looks like the market is starting to soften, maybe?

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The Seadoo Switch seems like it's about the best family boat option on the market for a lake boat.

Stevepro172

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I sold my 2018 AR240 which I loved for a 2023 Monterey 255 SS which I take delivery tomorrow. My family loved the yamaha and it did everything we wanted and more. However 2 things made us sell it, first we bought a house on the bay and wanted an outboard and second the Yamaha is loud. We spend quite a few hours/days/weekends looking at boats and prices and dollar for dollar nothing beats the Yamahas (New vs New of course). Good luck

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I sold my 2018 AR240 which I loved for a 2023 Monterey 255 SS which I take delivery tomorrow. My family loved the yamaha and it did everything we wanted and more. However 2 things made us sell it, first we bought a house on the bay and wanted an outboard and second the Yamaha is loud. We spend quite a few hours/days/weekends looking at boats and prices and dollar for dollar nothing beats the Yamahas (New vs New of course). Good luck
Very pretty boat

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Thanks again. Great feedback. What we want is the 2022 252SE. I expect the 2023 models will be essentially the same boat with different color choices and cost $8-$10k more. I’ve been looking for alternatives rather than pay that increase but, as @adrianp89 said, not finding anything that compares at a reasonably similar cost.
Most dealers will honor the current price if you're rolled over to a 23.

Taylorman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
That’s not what my dealer told. He said last year Yamaha canceled 12 boats. They offered a $1k credit but raised the price several thousand on each model.

It’s not the dealer’s fault that Yamaha didn’t meet its obligations. Without Yamaha helping offset that delta (which minimizes the value of raising prices in the first place) the dealer shouldn’t be responsible to eat the full coat in that scenario.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From what I have heard, Most dealers are not honoring the same price. Their cost is going up as well. Why would they, its not their fault. They may work with you but I wouldn't count on it. This is going to be the new norm for some time.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
From what I have heard, Most dealers are not honoring the same price. Their cost is going up as well. Why would they, its not their fault. They may work with you but I wouldn't count on it. This is going to be the new norm for some time.
That must be a change from 21-22. That makes sense as cots have gone up significantly since then.

Taylorman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
That must be a change from 21-22. That makes sense as cots have gone up significantly since then.
Exactly. And doing things in the spirit of “we’re all in this together” that existed earlier in the pandemic isn’t applicable any longer. Now it’s adjusting to the “new normal”. I don’t blame the dealers at all. However, that doesn’t mean I’m just going to accept it and pay more for the same boat. At the very least, I’m going to explore all my options.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah. I think from the previous year, they were trying to be cool. But since it is continuing I would expect much less of that.