• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

If you had to pick between a Boat or a Pool

mkbcaptain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just got a boat, and am having a pool put in. Luckly I am blessed enough to make this happen. That being said, if I could only do one, it would be the boat hands down.

Mdoiron

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We have both and both offer very different experiences. 4 kids; 13, 10, 9 & 7. The boat allows me to really disconnect from our day-to-day. Even an evening cruise makes me feel like I'm on vacation. The pool is like a toy around the house; there's always something to do to maintain it so we're usually busy while other people enjoy the pool. Either or, you'll have a lot more friends than you ever realized.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Similar situation for me: 4 kids (older now, youngest is 13, oldest is 20); single income; only willing to spring for one or the other.

Obviously I went with the boat 10 years ago but I've been a boater all my life. This wasn't just something we randomly "decided" to do. This was the next logical progression given that we discovered what is - for us - a near-perfect boating area. (Also, keep in mind that I'm not a huge fan of pools.)

My thoughts on boat v pool in no particular order:
  • The pool, being right there, is likely to get MUCH more use than the boat
  • The pool is also a safety hazard around young kids - whether yours or the neighbors' - and one "rush out the door" w/o locking that gate can turn into tragedy. (But who ever has that happen right? Especially with young kids right?) The boat is normally a more controlled situation and if it's on the water, you're usually there with it.
  • The boat comes with its own set of hazards (including other people on the water) and a learning curve that you must be willing to take on. Again, for me, it's a more "controlled" thing than a pool. That may just be perception.
  • The pool will teach your kids to swim. I've never met a pool owner who's kids aren't swimming at an early age. This is a life skill that can come in handy as the Earth has quite a bit of water on it. The boat will do the same if the situation and the amount of time you're on the water allow it.
  • Pools have no legal capacity limits.
  • Only my opinion, but I think you're much more likely to have a child that doesn't enjoy boating than you are to have a child that doesn't like the pool. I have one that doesn't like going boating - she's 17 now and hasn't come with us in several years. If we had a pool, she'd be in it all the time and it would still be a shared family experience.
  • The boat can be used when you have time and ignored if you get a busy week/month/year. The pool will require constant maintenance and upkeep whether you are using it or not. Ever seen a pool that wasn't properly maintained? Ugh.
  • If boat ownership takes you up to the edge of your comfort zone financially, remember you can always sell it (just stay right-side-up if you take a loan). Once it leaves the driveway, it's not your problem anymore. A pool will require you to purchase dirt to get rid of it. (Or at least some landscaping.)
If I had to go back and do it over, the only thing I'd change is to take more time off work when the weather was right for boating. Easy to say.... not so easy to do.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Like you @biglar155 we have a short season for either. Once it cools down, it's time to close the pool but with a boat you can still go out and cruise. For me it doesn't make financial sense to have both for such a short season. We have friends with pools if we want to go swimming in one, I call that good enough.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lived in a house with a pool. Currently live in a house without a pool.

The amount of work is about a wash between the two. Gotta "summerize/winterize" both of them. Have to keep them both clean, and the projects never end with either (adding a stereo upgrade, or adding shrubs, or upgrading the trailer, or adding a fence, etc).

When we go visit my mother or aunt who have pools, I rarely get in. Usually just sit under the umbrella and socialize. Once get in if the kids want me in there really. When we're on the boat, you practically have to pry me out of the water. Even when it's cool/cold, raining, etc. I love the ability to visit new and interesting places. Have new experiences, see new things, try new hardware, etc. The pool is kind of a "one trick pony" for me. You can swim and cool off. I can do that on a boat, plus all these other neat/cool things.

For me. I prefer the boat. The wife wants a pool.......badly. She's in the "we'll get to use it every day" mindset. I'm in the "It's one more chore around the house" mindset.

It should be noted, I bought day passes to the "never ending wave" thing in Vegas the last time we were out there. I don't categorically hate chlorinated water, I just need something to do other than just float in the water in a pool.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I have a community pool as well, when the kids were younger we were there every summer. As kids got older, the pool was a seldom thought especially when they started to drive. I think in the last 3 years the younger son went once to the pool. He is now 20. I bought the boat and spend more time with them. At that time sons were 16 and 21. I won’t lie, it’s still a struggle with logistics. They don’t get up until 11am kind of summers, job schedules, etc. I’m sure without the boat and having use of a community pool with older kids it would be more challenging to get the same quantity of quality time in. Looking back, I would have ( should have) jumped on that boat much sooner.

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Even with the clubhouse pool i would say get a pool. Then YOU (and the wife) get to control the environment for your kids, and i am assuming a screened lanai as well so dinners by the pool, etc. We have a clubhouse pool and it is hit or miss on environment (some days its packed with obnoxious people). To me there is a big difference between family time in your own private pool and family time in at a community pool. Plus swimming is such a great exercise and much easier to just walk out vs. lugging everything down to the community pool......

In your area (Florida, correct?) there are probably a ton of boat rentals.....I do want to get a boat but I’m in no hurry as I found a marina that rents on a lake we really enjoy so we just do that a couple of times per summer for right now. And you can’t rent a (private) pool :)

Last edited:

waternutt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
We have both. Put in the pool when we built the house back in 2014. Being in Florida, I cannot imagine being without a pool in the summer. My kids are young and we use it every opportunity. It is quick and easy to jump in on a hot day. We will see if that trend continues as they get older.

We are on our fourth season with the boat. Love it and we try to get out as much as we can. Since we trailer and store on a lot, it is obviously more involved to get ready and go.

It would be a tough decision but if you have a community pool that is convenient to use, I would lean towards getting a boat.

topherbd16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Boat, because you take it to larger, much more natural pools and you're 'forced' to be closer. Community pool will suffice and they will meet and make friends there.

And my kids are learning about what it takes to play hard... which is work hard to earn the time and funds to play. My two girls, 13 & 15, help me to get the boat set up for trips and putting it away (maintenance, cleaning, adding upgrades or modifications). My 15 yr old loves to drive the boat (shhh) and I feel this is invaluable for them to understand what it takes and to feel pride when having fun on the boat. They want a bigger surf wave (so do I...) so I had them help me research which additional ballast tank and pump to buy. We did an experiment day with sand bags to understand where to put the weight... we talked about fluid dynamics. Total nerd stuff... they loved it because their goal was to drop the rope when surfing. Total family win.

However, I can see a similar accomplishment with a pool if the kids help take care of it, especially your 11yo, and don't just take it for granted...

That's just me... I'm always trying to secretly teach my girls lessons w/o them realizing it and understand privilege vs entitlement. If they know I'm trying to have them learn or me tech them, then it quickly becomes 1) eye roll, 2) 'no' and 3) walks away 4) opens snapchat or tiktok and does some weird dance. lol

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Which one would you pick?

I'm a father to 4 boys (11, 6, 2 and 1), sole provider, blessed to have a great job that pays well and I'm able to support the family without my wife having to work. Moving into a new house in January and would probably end up making a decision on one of the two (Definitely can't afford both) shortly thereafter.

Maybe some of you guys have both, so I figured I'd ask if you could have one which one would it be? Here's where my head is at.

Pool - Pros: Very entertaining for the kids, they could have some of their friends over, playdates for the wife, etc etc. Cons: Would technically not be getting the kids out of the house, and then they would always have the excuse to go back inside and get on a game or an ipad. I'm sure owning a pool is a little bit less of a "money pit" than having a boat, but there are still maintenance issues and requirements that go into having a pool and keeping it clean.

Boat- Pros: Can get the kids out of the house for an extended period of time and get them super tired, easier bed time, closer family bonding time. Would get kids interested into water sports, keep them active and fit, and away from the screen. Cons: We all know, boats cost money. Gas, toys, more gas, repairs, storage, insurance, etc.

I think I'd be happy with either one, but my wife definitely likes the least stressful option, which is the pool. I should add, the community that we're moving into has a brand new pool too which we're obviously paying for so I have that going for me! LOL! Thanks in advance for reading and replying.
Do both. Boat is a 10 year loan maybe to keep the payments low. Buy the pool through your mortgage lender.

We considered a pool but 1) I like my grass too much to dig it up, 2) I didn't want to pay more for insurance on the house, 3) I didn't want my home to suddenly become the hub for a bunch of kids I didn't like, and 4) it seemed like more maintenance then a boat. Cleaning, skimming, ph balancing, repeat forever. Boat is clean after use, change oil once a season.

Also, pools grow "old" to your family just like a boat does. However a boat you can sell and never have to look at again fairly easily. Try that with a used pool.

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I bought my current boat back in 2012. Paid it off in 2017 and then put in the pool early 2018. I've got two kids 10 & 8. The pool sees a ton more use than the boat right now. We also have a community pool but having your own set up is just nice especially since the community pool didn't even open until a month or two ago.

My two cents, as hard as it is to say this, would be pool and I'll explain. While you oldest is 11, the rest of your boys are young and a pool is much more conducive to their age group. You'll have a ton of fun wrestling and tossing them around in the pool right now vs trying to get them on tubes etc. However, my 10 year old is just now getting more and more into water sports so you're on the cusp the next step for your oldest but to the majority it's pool. 5 years from now, different story.

JROD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
Which one would you pick?

I'm a father to 4 boys (11, 6, 2 and 1), sole provider, blessed to have a great job that pays well and I'm able to support the family without my wife having to work. Moving into a new house in January and would probably end up making a decision on one of the two (Definitely can't afford both) shortly thereafter.

Maybe some of you guys have both, so I figured I'd ask if you could have one which one would it be? Here's where my head is at.

Pool - Pros: Very entertaining for the kids, they could have some of their friends over, playdates for the wife, etc etc. Cons: Would technically not be getting the kids out of the house, and then they would always have the excuse to go back inside and get on a game or an ipad. I'm sure owning a pool is a little bit less of a "money pit" than having a boat, but there are still maintenance issues and requirements that go into having a pool and keeping it clean.

Boat- Pros: Can get the kids out of the house for an extended period of time and get them super tired, easier bed time, closer family bonding time. Would get kids interested into water sports, keep them active and fit, and away from the screen. Cons: We all know, boats cost money. Gas, toys, more gas, repairs, storage, insurance, etc.

I think I'd be happy with either one, but my wife definitely likes the least stressful option, which is the pool. I should add, the community that we're moving into has a brand new pool too which we're obviously paying for so I have that going for me! LOL! Thanks in advance for reading and replying.
Thankful to have both, pool novelty wears out quick even with kids. Mostly a permanent decission that is not easy to get rid off. Both pool and boats can build great family bonds and memories. You have a community pool you are able to use with family. Buy the boat and slowly get family involved in boat outings and adventures, dont do da screaming Cpt role, get boys in to water sports etc and your boys will thank you for the rest of your life, and you'll build unforgettable memories! Oh yeah, take your boat to Bimini at least once, but fly family in. 😁All the best!

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Boat, because you take it to larger, much more natural pools and you're 'forced' to be closer. Community pool will suffice and they will meet and make friends there.

And my kids are learning about what it takes to play hard... which is work hard to earn the time and funds to play. My two girls, 13 & 15, help me to get the boat set up for trips and putting it away (maintenance, cleaning, adding upgrades or modifications). My 15 yr old loves to drive the boat (shhh) and I feel this is invaluable for them to understand what it takes and to feel pride when having fun on the boat. They want a bigger surf wave (so do I...) so I had them help me research which additional ballast tank and pump to buy. We did an experiment day with sand bags to understand where to put the weight... we talked about fluid dynamics. Total nerd stuff... they loved it because their goal was to drop the rope when surfing. Total family win.

However, I can see a similar accomplishment with a pool if the kids help take care of it, especially your 11yo, and don't just take it for granted...

That's just me... I'm always trying to secretly teach my girls lessons w/o them realizing it and understand privilege vs entitlement. If they know I'm trying to have them learn or me tech them, then it quickly becomes 1) eye roll, 2) 'no' and 3) walks away 4) opens snapchat or tiktok and does some weird dance. lol
Kids help with the pool?? That’s a reach. ;)

PSLDanny21

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sheesh! Took me like an hour to read all the replies! Got to as many as I could without having to stop working completely, but I appreciate everyone's input and insights! The biggest thing I struggle with now is what type of Boat I would want to get. I'm almost stuck on Yamaha due to the benefits (everyone knows what they are) of having jet vs an outboard. However, lakes here in FL have a crap ton of Gators, and the wife is for sure not about that at all, it would just scare her just knowing they're out there (We're from Philly and been here 8 years she's still not used to the damn things), so that leaves the beach. There are a ton of really nice spots out there around the treasure coast where you could enjoy a jetboat without having to go too far offshore, but I also want to have that option if I ever feel up to it. I guess I'm not really too sure about how jetboats perform out deep, maybe someone can enlighten me.

Once I have all that figured out I think boat will probably be my decision, which has been my gut from the beginning!!

I don’t like salt water so I’d prefer the lake and go jet. If you’re gonna do the Atlantic center console with outboard might be a better choice. Still get a boat! Maybe you could try renting one to see if it’s for you before you invest? I have a college pal that had a boat but sold it and did inground pool in his backyard and he’s not looked back.
Yea but we have gators over here and the wife ain't having that!!

the pool will always be the center of attention at your house and a place to hang out (birthday parties) if you do it right. summer kitchen bar, fire pit etc. still have many years left to do both. ive had a pool for 15 years and now waiting on our first boat. my kids are teenagers now and they are self sustained if we go out on a boat. Both have pros and cons, the pool is the easy option but you cant go wrong either way. Its a good problem to have this day and age. It sounds like a production to do anything with 4 kids, pool is instant entertainment. good luck.
It's a full on Movie production my dude! HAHA!! Especially with 2 being within 364 days of each other!!

If you sold the kids, would that be enough to get both? I kid, I kid! 🤪
LMAO, you want one? (Or two?)

Probably the reply I identify with the most. Thanks man!

Do both. Boat is a 10 year loan maybe to keep the payments low. Buy the pool through your mortgage lender.

We considered a pool but 1) I like my grass too much to dig it up, 2) I didn't want to pay more for insurance on the house, 3) I didn't want my home to suddenly become the hub for a bunch of kids I didn't like, and 4) it seemed like more maintenance then a boat. Cleaning, skimming, ph balancing, repeat forever. Boat is clean after use, change oil once a season.

Also, pools grow "old" to your family just like a boat does. However a boat you can sell and never have to look at again fairly easily. Try that with a used pool.
We'd get along! I work with Scotts!

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Bearsar240

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well with young boys 6, 2 and 1, both choices are dangerous ones. I'm a risk assessment consultant in my day job so I look at risks for a living (don't judge me) I am kinda fun or so I'm told ;-)

I'd be more apt to go with the boat if I had to choose but know the boat is the more stressful option if your wife can't help. And with 4 boys, that's a handful when trying to launch or recover a boat mainly by yourself.

Then again, it only takes a second to take your eyes off one of your boys and in the pool they go. I supposedly did that when I was 2yrs old and by the grace of god someone saw me at the bottom and saved me.

So I'd buy a Porsche and be done with it lol!
Man this one hit home. We were at a friend's house last year swimming all day with 30 people around. End of the day we're sitting around talking and my 3 yr old walked into the pool. Couldn't tell you for how long he was under but I can still paint a clear picture of his entire face under water scared shitless unable to scream . Luckily someone yelled and the wife and I jumped in fully dressed and got him out. He held his breath the entire time, so no issues. I've done a lot of dumb shit and I never felt as scared as I did that day. Accidents happen and I don't think it matters pool or boat, it only takes a second!

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Man this one hit home. We were at a friend's house last year swimming all day with 30 people around. End of the day we're sitting around talking and my 3 yr old walked into the pool. Couldn't tell you for how long he was under but I can still paint a clear picture of his entire face under water scared shitless unable to scream . Luckily someone yelled and the wife and I jumped in fully dressed and got him out. He held his breath the entire time, so no issues. I've done a lot of dumb shit and I never felt as scared as I did that day. Accidents happen and I don't think it matters pool or boat, it only takes a second!
I hear that. When I had our pool in Phoenix, I was watching as my two year old walked on the patio along the edge of the pool. She bent down to get something out of the pool and bloop goes headfirst into the pool. A former lifeguard, I dove in straight to her and had her out of the water before she knew what hit her. I still remind her of how I saved her life.

I’m not sure about FL, but in Phoenix they keep a running total on the nightly news for kids that have drowned in pools year to date. I remember that now and how sad I remember that being. Self closing gates are mandatory and part of the code when getting a pool, but many do not keep them maintained.