• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Impeller Bearings Trashed ...lots of rebuild Pics pg 6

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Last edited:

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Does the link work? Surprised there aren't any "holy crap" comments yet! LOL

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
LOL...ROFLMAO! That reminds me of something I can't bring myself to mention...but that was great!

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Ridiculous isn't it?

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
broke the rope twice before I doubled it up. I had the old comforter over it to prevent the impeller from coming through the pilot back gate! It did prevent 99.9 % of damage.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's crazy! You sure you didn't forget a bolt or something?:)

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just could not bring myself to comment because I know exactly how you felt when it happened, and didn't know what to say... the "thunk" at the end was classic... hopefully it's one of those things you can laugh at over a beer. We have all been there and done that, and a big shout out to those that share moments such as this... thanks for the video @Big Shasta !

Oh... and I hope that you don't have to use the truck to get it back in... but if you do, make sure that you get a video of that too!;)

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That's crazy! You sure you didn't forget a bolt or something?:)
Absolutely....As a matter of fact, the bearings were so gone that the bearing housing was even removed without the impeller and shaft. When I yanked and pulled on it, the shaft came through the destroyed bearings and left the shaft behind. There wasn't even any housing around the impeller/shaft for me to leave a bolt in.

This is what I was yanking on,

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I just could not bring myself to comment because I know exactly how you felt when it happened, and didn't know what to say... the "thunk" at the end was classic... hopefully it's one of those things you can laugh at over a beer. We have all been there and done that, and a big shout out to those that share moments such as this... thanks for the video @Big Shasta !

Oh... and I hope that you don't have to use the truck to get it back in... but if you do, make sure that you get a video of that too!;)
It's funny now and even when I was doing it, I just thought oh well, it's has to come out, I'll deal with the aftermath later. YANK! Lucky for it I didn't need to hook up the Tundra! LOL

I cut out the wife coming around the corner yelling KEN to see what the noise was and if her Pilot was ok!

It's weird, the shaft slides in and out with no hangups now that it's out. I was worried about reinstall too but it should be smooth! Crazy stuff.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Big Shasta was there a threaded part of the shaft that you could have attached something like a dent puller (slide hammer), with the appropriate adapter? I know that it took a truck to eventually pull it out... just wondering if the shock of a tool like this might have done the same thing. You could be on the path to inventing a custom tool.

The "Ken shaft puller"

mn1818.jpg

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Big Shasta was there a threaded part of the shaft that you could have attached something like a dent puller (slide hammer), with the appropriate adapter? I know that it took a truck to eventually pull it out... just wondering if the shock of a tool like this might have done the same thing. You could be on the path to inventing a custom tool.

The "Ken shaft puller"

View attachment 10660
That looks like what my doc used last time I had a colonoscopy. :)

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

bucks448

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I gotta say, that was impressive! I may start pulling my pump annually. Thanks for sharing.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@cwoav8r I really don't think a slide hammer would have done it. Before hooking up the Pilot, I tried shock the best I could. I hooked a strap to it and then got the biggest thing I could tie too with some mass to throw around (a concrete block) and used the shock of that weight against it. Throwing it as hard as I could (and I'm not a little dude) until it was violently stopped by the force holding the shaft in. (Hard to picture I know but it was a shock force for sure) NOTHING.

@bucks448 Definitely pull them every year. You could probably do both pumps in about an hour total, maybe a little more. inspect the bearings, grease if necessary, lube the shafts and put back together. It's just the linkage (one bolt and one spring loaded quick disconnect) and 5 bolts holding each shaft in.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
This would be worth talking to a Yamaha tech and finding out what they think is the reason some come out easy and others seem to hold on. And...to find out what they do when they hold on!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This would be worth talking to a Yamaha tech and finding out what they think is the reason some come out easy and others seem to hold on. And...to find out what they do when they hold on!
I imagine it's the intermediate bearings that cause the hang up. I think there is a small ridge on the shaft from the bearings and it gets stuck. Dealers may disassemble the intermediate assembly to free the shaft up. Again, this is just my guess.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I thought I'd throw this out here for folks like me that overthink things and look at it crossways for 5 minutes trying to figure out something that is completely obvious in the first place.

Here's what I did

1) - I slipped a box end wrench over the shaft (27 I think)

b) - put the spline tool on and put it in the vise.

III) Used my manly muscular physique to power the impeller off the shaft in this direction.

(Not my shafts, I got it on google images and added arrows....Mad photoshop skillz)

phototiger

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
From the very first time we took out our new (2014) SX190 180 HP until the present time we hear a huge vibration sound from wake setting #3 or from 2100-2900 RPM . Has anyone with this problem figured out what is going on with the Yamahas making the noise? If so, are there any solutions?

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@phototiger Is it like cavitation.....If you're not sure what that's like, does the boat seem to not "bite" in that range meaning there isn't much thrust , like the boat slowly accelerates past that point until speed builds up and it's gone?
It could be something stick in the impeller....Have you checked to make sure you didn't suck something up ?
Also, you should really start a new topic just for this issue.. You'll get a lot more help.

Last edited:

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Holy crap! This could have ended one of 2 ways. I am glad it worked out well for you. Thanks for the help with removing my impellers from the shaft as well but I did strike out with 1 of 2. I have to get help to get it removed and/or cut off.