• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Impeller Bearings Trashed ...lots of rebuild Pics pg 6

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Holy crap! This could have ended one of 2 ways. I am glad it worked out well for you. Thanks for the help with removing my impellers from the shaft as well but I did strike out with 1 of 2. I have to get help to get it removed and/or cut off.
Crazy right...I couldn't believe what it took to get them out.....sometimes you've gotta go big or go home.

Sorry to hear one of them won't come off....maybe some heat would help.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
STICK A FORK IN IT....It's D.U.N DONE!

Got it all back together with no issues. Took me about an hour to rebuild the new assemblies with new seals and bearings all pressed in then a few hours on the bench assembling everything and about 2 hours bolting it all on. But I took my time and made sure everything was perfect. The shafts both slid in with no issues.

Pictures speak volumes so here's a bunch:

(EDIT - Cleaned this up so the order of assembly is correct)

WOO HOO...Shiny!!

My housing were worse than I thought...no groove in mine.

Bunch a Bearing/seal presses...

Put some wood under to press the seals in.

Pressing the seals in with a deep socket that just fits in the housing.

Inner seal in

Both Seals In.

This is what the bottom is resting on while the bearings go in.

Shaft slid into the seals and ready for the bearings:

Started it straight by hand and then pressed it from there.

Used the spacer to press the first bearing down.

As far as it will go - press is hitting the shaft.

The setup at work....Just a No 2 arbor, almost too small.

A deep socket on top of the spacer to get the first bearing all the way down.

Checking the first one to make sure the bearing was all the way down.

Comparing it to the other shaft to make sure it's riding in the right spot...it is.
I could have marked the screwdriver to be able to check the second one but it was fine.

Everything in.

Washer on, ready for shaft nut.

Nut is all torqued and this is how much gear oil I used. I just filled the cone and then slapped it on with the housing standing up. I didn't add any grease inside the spaces, just greased the bearings which should mix with the gear oil just fine.

Ugh, needed some cleanup for the water strainer access. (when I got a new label maker, it made me laugh to label my vise "VISE")

Hard to see but the gear oil level is about 1/3 after it all ran down into the bearings.

This was right when I flipped it over...before it ran thought the grease packed bearings...about 2/3rds or a little more full.

Impellers and wall clearance look good.

Bolted together....flange sealant between the housings and thread sealer on the bolt threads. Torqued to spec.

TA-DA...Even got me some new Thrust Vector XL. Thank you @JetBoatPilot

I also got new anodes and bolted them up. For some reason my model boat didn't get these from the factory, just the small round ones. So I drilled and tapped the holes for them. The casting had the spots for them, just no holes. I've been meaning to do that for a couple years.

Tomorrow he hits the water!

Last edited:

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice! Glad you got it all back together. I'll look for you out there tomorrow!

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Nice! Glad you got it all back together. I'll look for you out there tomorrow!
Awesome...Yeah we should be out behind shell island mid day. My sister and her family are in town so I'll have a boatload. I'm gonna put it back on the slip early in the morning to beat the launch ramp crowd and give it a test run before we all pile in.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Those anodes should help a lot. You shouldn't need to clean your in take grate hardware now. Nice job on the repair. I don't have the tools to do that, so would have to succumb to a shop.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Those anodes should help a lot. You shouldn't need to clean your in take grate hardware now. Nice job on the repair. I don't have the tools to do that, so would have to succumb to a shop.
If you take it apart and take the assemblies to a shop, they'll press it all together for a reasonable amount. I just have this issue with letting other people do things I can figure out.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If you take it apart and take the assemblies to a shop, they'll press it all together for a reasonable amount. I just have this issue with letting other people do things I can figure out.
I could certainly do the take apart as I hate not having a trusted mechanic work on my stuff. I've been using the same shade tree mechanic on my cars for over 15 years.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice job on the rebuild. I like the idea of the new intake ducts and I can't wait to get mine together. Good luck with the test run today and post back on how it goes.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
SUCCESS....Runs great no issues...good bite and no vibes.

I got a scare when there was a vibration coming back to the slip after running for about an hour. Got it on the lift and checked the cleanout port and found a chip bag. I've never been so happy to find debris.

Loading up the cooler and heading back out as soon as we load up on supplies and pick up my sisters family.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You just have to love these boats...what's funny, is that there are great members, just
Like you, that take their time and document their journeys, to share with all of us! Thanks for the memories @Big Shasta !

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
So the other day my wife says "she sure is a good boat" and I said it's a HE.....it's been way to low maintenance to be called a she. For some reason she took offense to that.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
SUCCESS....Runs great no issues...good bite and no vibes.

I got a scare when there was a vibration coming back to the slip after running for about an hour. Got it on the lift and checked the cleanout port and found a chip bag. I've never been so happy to find debris.

Loading up the cooler and heading back out as soon as we load up on supplies and pick up my sisters family.
Great to hear this is all done and that the boat is back up and running.

My quick impeller housing insert change out turned out to be a large project. I couldn't leave good enough alone and now I have the jet pumps being rebuilt, new ducts, new impellers, etc. I forget why I started this over a wood chip. Anyway, I have a great yamaha service center and they are helping to press the bearings. They will press them once the new Driveshaft shows up.... again, why?

Can't wait to run it next week or two for the season finalie(s)

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Glad you are back on the water and thanks for documenting the repair process so well!

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Great to hear this is all done and that the boat is back up and running.

My quick impeller housing insert change out turned out to be a large project. I couldn't leave good enough alone and now I have the jet pumps being rebuilt, new ducts, new impellers, etc. I forget why I started this over a wood chip. Anyway, I have a great yamaha service center and they are helping to press the bearings. They will press them once the new Driveshaft shows up.... again, why?

Can't wait to run it next week or two for the season finalie(s)
Think of how good you'll feel knowing its all new stuff. Hopefully you get it all done in time for a few outings before you have to close it up.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Big Shasta , Congrats to getting back on the water and props to you for having not just the tools but the will, skill and drive to deal with this yourself. Thanks for sharing.

Cotay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The housings from Precision are out of stock... two months... :(

Boats.net has the guides

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-6B5-R1719-00-00.html

Are they really that oversized? Did you try freezing the guides and heating up the housing... oh wait that might not be wise with the plastic liners in... do they come out pretty easy?
As a follow up, I purchased two different types of collars:

Part #: 6B5-R1719-00-00 COLLAR, GUIDE at $5.60 a piece

Part #: 99590-14016-00 PIN, DOWEL at $.95 a piece

These seem to be for all intents and purposes functionally the same, although the 6B5 parts is identical to the originals that came on my AR. They have the same outside and inside diameter so if anyone needs these, the cheaper part seems like the best bet.

As for getting my impeller shaft back in the boat, we towed the boat to Tracy Motorsports last weekend and they worked on it over the week. The service manager wasn't able to get the shaft back in either when we dropped it off, so they had the tech look at it and he was able to slide it right in apparently. I still have no idea why it wouldn't go back in for me after four hours of trying. Anyway, I'll wait to pull them off until after the season ends for us and try to replace the housings then...I don't want to be without the boat for our upcoming family vacation. :)

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian can we please add this to members tips section

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
if it makes the most sense to split out the page 6 reassembly stuff into a new topic, it wont hurt my feelings.