• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Impeller Bearings Trashed ...lots of rebuild Pics pg 6

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Big Shasta, I am wondering if you could use some sort of slide hammer to free the stuck shaft?

Both of mine came out easily. I used Honda Moly 60 on the splines when I reinstalled them.

Cotay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Big Shasta...that looks like some tough work! I'm with you in spirit right now! Had I known this was going to be an all-day project I would have started much earlier and asked my wife to skip the half-day Costco run! ;-)

I decided that I'm going to run over to my father's house and use his machine shop to get this impeller off! It's nice to have a father who is a dentist by day/gunsmith by night! :)

On the impeller housing, there are what appear to be two spacers in the screw holes on the old ones that are not on the new ones:

[/URL]

Do I need to pull these out and insert in the new housing or can I forget them? Do I need to purchase replacement spacers instead? That will slow me down a bit if I do.

bucks448

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Cotay you need to reuse or replace the spacers, they keep everything aligned.

@Big Shasta thread some rope through the impeller blades and tie it off to something immovable (or mostly, a second vehicle worked for me) then gently pull away from it with your tow vehicle. I've done this and it took very little force, but more than I could manage in that position.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Big Shasta One of my shafts was stuck when I had to pull them. I used a long bolt and a 5 pound hand sledge to pop it loose. You need to pound on the impeller nut through the intake grate with the long bolt -- wood didnt work for me.

The seal on the plastic cone should be replaced if you open it up. You can probably get away without a new one so pay attention to how you treat it. Also, you can ship your shaft assembly to this dealer that is 3 hours away for less than the cost of fuel.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Murf'n'surf I tried the pounding from behind. I tried a dead blow hammer, then a hammer then a small sledge. That sucker would NOT move. I guess I'm going to have to get it out of the backyard so I can get a vehicle behind it...I'll try everything before I try using the power of the vehicle to pull it out. Seems like it could go really wrong. I wish I had a come-along but I do have some big ratchet straps....I'll try them first.

I bought all the seals and bearings to replace it all. Since the one side is ok, I guess I won't use all the bearings but I do want to replace all the seals.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
maybe after you get some pressure pulling on the shafts you can try the hammer again. Good luck.

Cotay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Guys, I'm really having some trouble right now. I'm trying to get the impeller shaft back in and it won't go in all of the way. I seems that it is catching on something the last 3 inches or so. Any ideas? I've take it all apart again and shining a flashlight down there doesn't show anything obvious that is the problem. The impeller itself is fine and not catching on anything. I'm at a complete loss right now.

EDIT: I still can't get the shaft in the last bit, but it's clear that the splines are simply not engaging. I've checked the shaft and there is no damage from the impeller removal process. I may have put too much moly lube on there and there is still water in the tube, so I suspect hydrolock may be the culprit. I had been doing the work in my driveway and I suspect the slope made all of the water pool in the back. I drove the boat around the block and tried again but no dice. I then ran a 12ga cleaning rod in there and got out a bunch of water and gunk, but it is still not working. I'm taking her back to storage for the night and after church and bible study tomorrow I'll see if maybe more water has evaporated. I may be taking it to the dealer after all. The sad part is that the new impeller housings wouldn't work since the stock spacers I posted earlier are about 7 thousandths took big for the new housing. I wonder if Yamaha changed the spec on them for later housings...in any event I'll need to call the manufacturer on Monday to find out where to get the new spacers.

Last edited:

Cotay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got these from Precision Marine Tools: http://www.precisionmarinetools.com/ They are $85 bucks a piece...a great deal but the spacers needed for the screws don't match my current spacers. This is probably a design change from Yamaha since these are remanufactured with the plastic ring...I just need to find the right spacers. I'll let you know where I find them...I may just end up having my father enlarge the holes in the housing by 7 thousandths of an inch...it really is a tiny difference.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Great, I can't even get my last one out and now I have reassembly anxiety. LOL. It seems like if you have a bunch of stuff in there you should be able to get it out with a paper towel and a long screwdriver. You sure it isn't just that the splines are misaligned? Do the splines engage at all? If the shaft still spins free then no but 3 inches seems really far. Seems to me that maybe you're hanging up on a seal. Have you tried the "Mass X acceleration" method, slamming it in (to a point of course) to get past the seal?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You are getting hung on a seal. I had the same issue and needed to tap it back in gently.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got these from Precision Marine Tools: http://www.precisionmarinetools.com/ They are $85 bucks a piece...a great deal but the spacers needed for the screws don't match my current spacers. This is probably a design change from Yamaha since these are remanufactured with the plastic ring...I just need to find the right spacers. I'll let you know where I find them...I may just end up having my father enlarge the holes in the housing by 7 thousandths of an inch...it really is a tiny difference.
Thanks @Cotay ! And I agree with @Big Shasta and @Murf'n'surf ... if you have 3 inches left you are not completely through the seal. You may need to play around with the alignment a bit... if it came out okay, it should go back in okay.

1 1/2 inches short it's the splines... I'm thinking the seal is about the 6 to 7 inch mark based on the scoring on my impeller shaft.

Last edited:

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well after examining the parts diagram... I have no clue what is causing the scoring at the 7 inch mark...

Is the shaft riding in bearings 5 and 8 at the 3 1/2 to 4 inch mark? If so, that must be the hang up...

Cotay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for all of your replies!

In the light of morning I measured again and it is about 1 1/2 inches. It is hanging up at the splines. I have moved it every way I can think of and it's just not going in...

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Image didn't post...

Image.gif

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for all of your replies!

In the light of morning I measured again and it is about 1 1/2 inches. It is hanging up at the splines. I have moved it every way I can think of and it's just not going in...
Can you feel any contact with the splines as you rotate the shaft as if it was trying to line up?

Cotay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can you feel any contact with the splines as you rotate the shaft as if it was trying to line up?
I'm not feeling any sort of grinding or resistance when I turn the impeller with my fingers. I rotate the impeller a tiny bit while pushing and it doesn't seem to be catching on anything or moving in at all. I don't think we damaged the shaft at all when we took off the impeller, but we did need to lock the shaft in a vise attached to an industrial vertical mill that my father has. I had to literally hang on the box wrench after letting the sucker soak in some penetrating oil for about an hour. What should I be feeling?

I'm going to have to sign off for a bit for church and then we have bible study here at the house. We aren't legally allowed to leave boats/RVs on the street but I have no choice right now...the funny part is that we host our study at our house and the former chief of police attends...we might get cited if he is in a bad mood! :)

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You did have a tool to hold the splines when you took the impeller off, right? Please tell me you didn't just put the shaft in the vise. Look back at page one, you'll see a pic of the tool I used.