• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Impeller question?

Schmidty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking to join the jet boat community soon. Trying to compare maintenance issues between jetboats and regular stern drive. How often do you guys have to change your impellers and what’s the cost of such repair.

Impeller itself is stainless steel and is not a wear part. You’d only replace it if you damaged it, just like a prop on a regular boat.

There is a plastic wear ring you can replace with time/wear and they aren’t very expensive.

Impeller you might be thinking of is a water pump impeller on non jet boats that have to be replaced regularly.
Jet boats do not have those, cooling water comes direct from the propulsion jet.

I must have been confused with the regular stern drive boats. So overall you would say maintenance on jet boats are less expensive? I was always under the impression they’re pricier to maintain. Unbiased opinion of course. ?

Yes, maintenance is minimal compared to stem drive. No yearly impeller change and drive lubrication every 5 years if that. Steering is simpler, no hydraulic to maintain.

I must have been confused with the regular stern drive boats. So overall you would say maintenance on jet boats are less expensive? I was always under the impression they’re pricier to maintain. Unbiased opinion of course. ?

There is way less moving parts in a jet drive.

Once a year check / repack the aft bearing under the cone with epnoc grease. That’s it for the jet drive.

So yes, less expensive.

One thing that is rarely mentioned is that Yamaha jet boats have brakes. You can apply reverse trust immediately at any speed. Not something to be taken lightly.

Yes cheaper and easier. I’ve had my boat 4 years and the only maintenance I’ve had to do is oil changes and spark plugs just like any motor.

There is no transmission, trim hydraulics, etc so none of that maintenance either. I’ve done those impellers on a 90hp outboard I have and it’s not a small job.

Yamaha boat maintenance is way less expensive than stern drive or outboards.

I have owned my 2007 SX230 for ten years now. Every year I use 6 quarts of oil, 8 spark plugs and two oil filters for my annual maintenance that takes me less than two hours for the two engines. Depending on how much I shop around that cost is between $70 and $90.

I needed to replace the scupper valve that cost me $30 and a few hours.

I chose to replace the rear pump bearings in 2015 to 2016. Probably cost me a $100 in parts and a day of figuring it out.

I chose to replace the steering and shift cables. Parts cost was less than $400.

I chose to replace the impellers with a newer design. Parts cost was around $450

I have spent thousands on upgrades to flooring, adding trim tabs, adding a refrigerator, chart plotter, VHF radio, shower, two 100AH AGM batteries, an onboard charger, grill, rod holders, etc.

Impeller itself is stainless steel and is not a wear part. You’d only replace it if you damaged it, just like a prop on a regular boat.

There is a plastic wear ring you can replace with time/wear and they aren’t very expensive.
I have a 2021 Yamaha ex can I change the Impala for better performance

I have a 2021 Yamaha ex can I change the Impala for better performance

You can if; You are operating at higher altitude and your engines are not reaching max rpm at full throttle, or you want better low end performance for towing.

What is the boat not doing that you want it to do?

It only goes 52 just want more speed in jet ski

Got a rev limiter my altitude is fine I'm in Middle Tennessee the RPM stock sets 7,050

Got a rev limiter my altitude is fine I'm in Middle Tennessee the RPM stock sets 7,050

I think all these motors have rev limiters… I don’t understand what you mean by “got a rev limiter”

What is your altitude ?

Which model ski do you have and what engine is in it? 7,050 seems low.

Back