• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

255 FSH Sport H/DRIVE Comparison

CaptainNick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Looking for thoughts on the 255 FSH Sport H. I know that no one has had the change to get their hands on one yet but just thought I could get some insight from the vast knowledge of this group. Is the Helm Master system likely to be helpful/worth the substantial cost? Is it really just a FSH adaptation of the DRIVE system?

I have to back my 252 FSH into a tight slip to be lifted out after each use. There is often a good bit of crosswind. It's not fun and extremely stressful. I would welcome something to make this easier and would consider upgrading if it would make the job as easy as it appears on the videos! How does the DRIVE system perform in such situations?

Thanks for any insight!

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
if you have the extra dough, get the sport H, that technology been around in bigger boats (outboards) for docking. Helm Master will make your boating life easy. Lots of video in youtube, its the same technology except they have outboards (23) yamaha helm master - YouTube

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Looking for thoughts on the 255 FSH Sport H. I know that no one has had the change to get their hands on one yet but just thought I could get some insight from the vast knowledge of this group. Is the Helm Master system likely to be helpful/worth the substantial cost? Is it really just a FSH adaptation of the DRIVE system?

I have to back my 252 FSH into a tight slip to be lifted out after each use. There is often a good bit of crosswind. It's not fun and extremely stressful. I would welcome something to make this easier and would consider upgrading if it would make the job as easy as it appears on the videos! How does the DRIVE system perform in such situations?

Thanks for any insight!
The Drive system isn’t even close to the Helm Master. The DriveX is closer bit still not the same.

If you use your 252 FSH for fishing and IF Yamaha is going to offer the 255 FSH H Helm master with its full suite of capabilities then the docking will just be the cherry on top of the hot fudge sundae.

Watch all the vids @fatboyroy linked for you and you’ll get the idea.

And actually if you look through the 2024 model line up thread you will see a post by one of our members who drove the 255 FSH H and reported that it worked better than any other helm master equipped boat he’d been on.

RedbirdRacing

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
From the press photos it does not look like this is a full featured helm master. Looks like its just joystick docking. As of now doesnt look like you get autopilot or spot lock which is too bad because that should integrate with the simrad easily. I would much prefer an autopilot over the joystick docking if I had to choose.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
From the press photos it does not look like this is a full featured helm master. Looks like its just joystick docking. As of now doesnt look like you get autopilot or spot lock which is too bad because that should integrate with the simrad easily. I would much prefer an autopilot over the joystick docking if I had to choose.
I agree, but I’m pretty sure Yamaha is working on the full featured HM.

Rick Felish

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
I have the 2024 FSH 255H. It’s a great boat and I am happy I opted for the Helm master. I was hesitant when I ordered as its first run but so far it works great. I feel the lack of a keel (rudder) may affect steering slightly at slow speeds but overall at 5 hours we are impressed. Docking with the joy stick is easy albeit takes a little practice. Anxious to get back on the water once trolling motor and other goodie’s are installed.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have the 2024 FSH 255H. It’s a great boat and I am happy I opted for the Helm master. I was hesitant when I ordered as its first run but so far it works great. I feel the lack of a keel (rudder) may affect steering slightly at slow speeds but overall at 5 hours we are impressed. Docking with the joy stick is easy albeit takes a little practice. Anxious to get back on the water once trolling motor and other goodie’s are installed.
Thank you for the first hand report on the 255 FSH H model! Please revisit this thread after you have some more hours on it.

As far as low speed maneuvering goes, and if you have not tried it already, try using the no wake function in its highest level with the throttles in the first detent position or TDE. If you have not tried that yet you will notice much more control at low speed.

Caseysmith9

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for the review. With the helm master do you have autopilot?
Casey

TeenGee

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have a 210 FSH Sport. I am disappointed with how it handles moderate chop we also get sprayed if the wind is blowing from either 10:00 or 2:00. How does the 255 handle chop?
Do you get sprayed?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have a 210 FSH Sport. I am disappointed with how it handles moderate chop we also get sprayed if the wind is blowing from either 10:00 or 2:00. How does the 255 handle chop?
Do you get sprayed?
Not having one of the 25’ boats and one like yours … our boats do not have any Carolina Bow flare, if they did the bow area would be smaller as our boats run the beam as far forward as possible. I’ve experienced the same thing you have since I have the same boat. The 25’ FSH boats I know have the full length windshield which helps with water coming straight at you like rain, but I do not believe there is any “glass” on the sides. I bought one of those Ocean South universal T top spray screens T-Top Enclosure - Weather Protection For Console Boats and recently had it modified so that it goes all the way to the rag top and the sides fit better. See it here. https://jetboaters.net/threads/canvas-work.43414/ I have not tested it since the modifications, but when I was using it before it greatly reduced the amount of water I go hit with from the sides and rain, there used to be an air gap at the top so some rain drops would make it through there. The times I have gotten sprayed from 1000 & 1400 is like you explained, the spray gets throw to the side and the wind grabs it and throws it back at you. In the past I’ve just slowed down and put the bow up and that moved the spray coming off the bow aft which helps but if there’s a good wind blowing it’s like someone is standing there throwing five gallon buckets of water on you !

As far as the chop goes, our hulls like all other hulls are the same across the board except the wake specific hulls. So a 21’ FSH has the same hull as the AR 210, same with a 25’ FSH and an AR 250. Please describe moderate chop. How fast are you going ? Is this where you are getting sprayed? Is the ride too rough?

Last edited: