• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Installing boat cover #5

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
my boat spends 24/7/365 outside,

last year during the supply chain interruption I decided to buy a new factory cover to have on hand as my covers only seem to last 3 years and it was already year 4,

glad I did,

I found this small tear and another "thin" spot at the bow where the support pole is, I was going to have my daughter sew a couple patches to help strengthen it and maybe get another year out of it, I told her asap and she agreed,

IMG_4466.jpegIMG_4463.jpeg

I'm glad it didn't get on her schedule because yesterday I went out and found this,
it's so thin that you barely touch it and it disintegrates and tears further

IMG_4490.jpeg

the current cover #4 is from the "new" mfg, the material and straps seem more robust, I had kind of hoped it would last more than 5 years,

cover history
#1 = 4 years
#2 = 3 years
#3 = 3 years
#4 = 5 years

seems like you're about ready for the 'honey, let's build a carport or garage/shop for the boat...it'll save us money' discussion.

Do you use the 303 stuff?

my boat spends 24/7/365 outside,

last year during the supply chain interruption I decided to buy a new factory cover to have on hand as my covers only seem to last 3 years and it was already year 4,

glad I did,

I found this small tear and another "thin" spot at the bow where the support pole is, I was going to have my daughter sew a couple patches to help strengthen it and maybe get another year out of it, I told her asap and she agreed,

View attachment 210958View attachment 210959

I'm glad it didn't get on her schedule because yesterday I went out and found this,
it's so thin that you barely touch it and it disintegrates and tears further

View attachment 210960

the current cover #4 is from the "new" mfg, the material and straps seem more robust, I had kind of hoped it would last more than 5 years,

cover history
#1 = 4 years
#2 = 3 years
#3 = 3 years
#4 = 5 years

you might have a look at empire covers as an alternative to the “factory” cover. When my boat ? is not in the shop during winter storage it’s outside and under this cover.

IMG_4576.jpeg

It’s been three and a half seasons and it seems to be holding up well. I’ve never put any water proofing products on it and this season it just started to let a few drops in, in a couple of places. It has faded some in the very long and intense sun shine days, not to mention the bitterly cold temps, snow and ice of the shoulder seasons as well as summers hail storms and thunderstorms. It’s not too heavy and it’s easy for me to put on and take off. Prices have increased some since I bought mine for roughly $300.

This is the one I bought …

There currently is a Halloween additional 20% off so it would be roughly $330 right now

Last edited:
@Scottintexas If you buy another factor cover I would look for the black Premium cover. I believe it is a higher grade of material than the grey covers. Although I understand grey would be better than black in your locale.

@Scottintexas If you buy another factor cover I would look for the black Premium cover. I believe it is a higher grade of material than the grey covers. Although I understand grey would be better than black in your locale.

I agree.

The grey cover for my '14 SX192 did not last long and started coming apart like the OP's in a couple years. The black factory cover I bought to replace it seemed made of heavier fabric.

seems like you're about ready for the 'honey, let's build a carport or garage/shop for the boat...it'll save us money' discussion.
Oh I would love to, trapped in suburbia and HOA and land is strict, otherwise I'd have a barn as big as Zipper's,

Do you use the 303 stuff?

no, i've read other posts about it, I may spring for a bottle and try it this time,

you might have a look at empire covers as an alternative to the “factory” cover. When my boat ? is not in the shop during winter storage it’s outside and under this cover.

thanks, I was thinking of something to maybe put over the factory cover at least to help it from the UV, I was afraid of mildew but that cover looks big enough to go over my tower and allow air flow,

any knowledge of this, I don't mind buying black,

about 5-6 years ago yamaha changed the mfg of the covers, the fabric became thicker along with the strap buckles and ratchets,

I don't know if your information was comparing on old style cover to a new one,

Fun fact, I have the oem mooring cover and there was a warning in it about not leaving it in the sun. Wth?

Commercial sewing in Connecticut manufacturers the covers for Yamaha. I would check with them if there is a way to get the black material they last much longer, Im on my 6th year but I do keep it covered with a 12 x 25 tarp as well and it gets shrink wrapped for the winter. The tarp keeps it Bone dry inside and its very easy to install, the covers leak water in heavy down pours.

tarp.jpg

There is a member here that works for commercial sewing

Interesting 24 foot square sunshade. Lots of vendors selling them who did you get it from ? When I double cover the boat the grey tarp lasts about 3 - 5 years before it starts shedding micro plastics, the factory cover keeps them out of the boat. My guess is that the sun shade would last longer and they have them in 24 x 12 . My friend would cover his boat with a large tarp just like you did with the sun shade, but when it started to shed it left blue debri all over the interior of the boat. It also looked difficult and bulky to pull up over the tower if there was any wind.

Sunshade

This one is a year old and seems to be doing very well. I also have one over a fish pond that is about 2 years old. I think the gray color may have something to do with the longevity-but not sure.

To install: I arrange the sunsail in an accordion fold stretched across the swim deck behind the collapsed canopy. Then, I pull several feet forward over the collapsed canopy. Then with a little effort, I pull up the canopy and the sail comes with it.

Last edited:
@Scottintexas I checked the 2019 Yamaha catalog and it looks like there was no "black" premium cover option, just the Charcoal. So sad.

The black cover uses SureLast (sp?) fabric. It's my understanding that you could be able to get a customer cover made from that or Sunbrella for a similar price as a Yamaha OEM cover. Which may be more durable in your sunny situation.

I would probably follow @Cambo's suggestion and consider another protective layer on top if this is at home to provide more/better sun and water protection. the OEM cover is very much water resistant, and not water proof. Which means the boat does dry out better if it gets wet.

Back