• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Instrument cluster not working

steveinmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Working on my buddy's 2004 sx230. Reupholster job is well underway. Fixed the bilge switch. Fresh oil and plugs.

Next thing that needs addressing is the techs, gas gauge and speedometer not working. I confirmed the plugs needed for the software to work were plugged in. I will check the insides for good contact next.

What else can we check to start eliminating possible causes?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
the fact that you don't have tach or fuel gauge leads me to think he's got a problem behind the dash,

the yds connection only affects the tach and dummy lights,

how long has owned the boat ? have the gauges ever worked ?

steveinmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
the fact that you don't have tach or fuel gauge leads me to think he's got a problem behind the dash,

the yds connection only affects the tach and dummy lights,

how long has owned the boat ? have the gauges ever worked ?
He got the boat from a family member. The previous owner bought it brand new in 2004. Not sure when they stopped working I will assume for years.

Checking the helm wiring was next on the list.

steveinmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Just a little update. Checked the helm and nothing was obvious. The gauge plugs there were clean and dry. We removed the old depth finder because it was in really bad shape. Sourced a replacement on ebay but not sure if the the newer ones will work with the old ones. They have a different plug that could prob be spliced, providing the wiring color code is the same.

The gauge lights all work except one. The horn doesn't. We removed to verify if it's the switch or the horn itself. The nav lights dont work. So we will remove and check the bulb.

Cant seem to find any fuses except for the ones behind a cover on the ecu box.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The breakers can go bad, use a voltmeter to make sure you have power to all the accesory switches to start, and that the breakers are indeed passing power.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Speedo should be a pitot pickup at the stern of the boat. Water flows thru the hose and into the speedo itself to drive the needle. Get a new pickup from Amazon for $20 and you should be good to go there.

disconnect the hose from the speedo and have someone with a warm bucket of water (maybe add tiny bit of soap) to make sure the tube doesn’t have an obstruction.

I did this with my 07 and it was a simple fix.

RNYCLV

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
breaker.... happens to our twice a season sadly