• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

jet pump noise

robertr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
So going over the boat before I get it on the water for the first time. I am hearing some rattling noise from starboard jet pump,I'm gonna grease the intermediate housing as I just got the boat and who know if its been greased, is it usually the bearings in the impeller duct housing that go bad ? I'm gonna remove the cone and check the grease and probably take the impeller out and check the wear ring, If I take out the assy and spin the shaft , it should spin smooth and no play correct?

thanks

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Although this isn’t a reply to your question about the free spinning impeller, if you’re new to this boat, I would encourage you to get some advice from folks regarding greasing the intermediate bearings before you do that. Just wanted to caution you.

robertr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Although this isn’t a reply to your question about the free spinning impeller, if you’re new to this boat, I would encourage you to get some advice from folks regarding greasing the intermediate bearings before you do that. Just wanted to caution you.
thanks, I've done some research on it, but open to suggestions and advice,:thumbsup:

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Out of the water the impellers will rattle and clang. But due to the age of your boat and the salt water, I would pull the pump and check the bearing under the cone.

robertr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Out of the water the impellers will rattle and clang. But due to the age of your boat and the salt water, I would pull the pump and check the bearing under the cone.
gotcha, will definitely check them

robertr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
D9A053D0-E013-4492-818D-2A30065DE77C.jpeg821385B9-1066-4D85-B9D3-652A7B3CD39B.jpeg5BFA5D3D-5A5B-4FAA-AD50-A8BEB20BD19D.jpegA7322A13-5499-4DB4-889E-AFD979116B83.jpeg1D1556CE-6398-4596-9239-08B97F6294A2.jpegD9A053D0-E013-4492-818D-2A30065DE77C.jpeg821385B9-1066-4D85-B9D3-652A7B3CD39B.jpeg5BFA5D3D-5A5B-4FAA-AD50-A8BEB20BD19D.jpegA7322A13-5499-4DB4-889E-AFD979116B83.jpegF60DB5F4-B348-49CB-849E-24C1E50C3F88.jpeg1D1556CE-6398-4596-9239-08B97F6294A2.jpegS
Starboard pump, surprisingly everything looks great, no water in bearing, wear ring looks brand new , impeller looks brand new, no play at all, this side is good to go I think

ross l

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
IMO - Based on the darker color of the grease, the bearing looks like it has water contamination. Wipe the grease off the bearing and see if the steel has discoloration or rust spots. If it does, I would say your rattling noise is from the corrosion on that bearing.

robertr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Might be the pics, bearings look good to me, no noise or rust spots,

Attachments

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
How is the clearance all the way around the blades and the wear ring? Even?

robertr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
How is the clearance all the way around the blades and the wear ring? Even?
It looked fine, Even spacing, haven’t done the feeler gage test, but no marks on the wear ring

robertr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length

robertr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
could it be that they added the amsoil lube ?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Pump looks pretty healthy to me for a 17 year old boat. Impeller is dinged up a bit but not too bad. While you have it apart consider switching over to an oil bath on those bearings. Search @Bruce for his write up on doing it.
You can't see the other bearing on the shaft but I have not heard of the unseen one failing. Just the one you pictured.
I guess you better check the intermediate bearing behind the engine.

robertr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Pump looks pretty healthy to me for a 17 year old boat. Impeller is dinged up a bit but not too bad. While you have it apart consider switching over to an oil bath on those bearings. Search @Bruce for his write up on doing it.
You can't see the other bearing on the shaft but I have not heard of the unseen one failing. Just the one you pictured.
I guess you better check the intermediate bearing behind the engine.
yeah, im planning on the doing the oil bath as per Bruce, some say they make some noise out of the water , hopefully it was just that, guess I should look up how to check intermediate bearing

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
yeah, im planning on the doing the oil bath as per Bruce, some say they make some noise out of the water , hopefully it was just that, guess I should look up how to check intermediate bearing
So what did you find out or end up doing ?

Your boat is 17 years old...how many hours are on it?

When my boat was brand new it was making a metallic noise when running on a flush hose, and it still does. IMHO what you were hearing was the play of the components rattling, you don’t hear it in the water because the impeller, the bearings, shaft etc are all under load while idling in the water.

Thanks for the pics of the bearing and impeller.

When greasing the intermediate bearing next to the engine bulk head, use a light touch with a manual grease gun with the correct water proof grease. As soon as you feel the resistance increase in the pump handle of the grease gun, stop.

robertr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
I agree , I took everything out , put Delrin liners , took the cones off , did the oil bath mod from Bruce, greased the intermediate bearing, been running perfect ever since, the noise is still there. But it’s ust the usual rattle when out of water and flushing with hose , if you are not familiar with these boats it’s a little concerning at first , but so far running strong
Thanks

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I agree , I took everything out , put Delrin liners , took the cones off , did the oil bath mod from Bruce, greased the intermediate bearing, been running perfect ever since, the noise is still there. But it’s ust the usual rattle when out of water and flushing with hose , if you are not familiar with these boats it’s a little concerning at first , but so far running strong
Thanks
Thats great news! I had the same butt clenching reaction when I heard that noise the first time and I had not discovered this web site as a resource yet.. luckily I have a friend who has a lot of marine experience and he educated me on jet pumps...

So how many hours are on your boat?

robertr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
About 380 right now I believe

FSH 210 Sport