• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Joining the Carbon seal fun!

robert cabrerea

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Im sorry you scarab owners didnt get a better boat for the amount of money spent. This is too frequent a problem for them not to recall.

DogDad

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yesterday I want to a jet boat demo day.... I tried out multiple Yamahas and Scarabs and fell in love with the Scarab's agility. I came home grinning ear to ear and ready to pull the trigger on a 2017 195 platinum.... then I do a little research and find dozens of threads about the engine alignment issues, dealer inflicted stress on the seals, months worth of wait time for repairs, boats sinking and dealers probably want to help but simply don't have staff qualified to work on these boats! The thought of buying a brand new $40k boat that could sink because of a hose clamp really made me sick to my stomach.

I am open minded and I'm ok with keeping an eye out for indicators that things are going south but from the sound of it, the shift from a wearing seal to a sinking boat can happen in a matter of hours on the water. That is scary stuff for a perspective buyer!

Do we know if any of these issues been addressed with the new 2017/2018 boats?

S.peay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Yes mostly the 2014/2015 models... and some of those problems were from people not knowing you can’t run off a hose longer than 45sec- 1min and other issues.... if you love it I personally wouldn’t worry about it especially if you have a decent dealer close by. These motors have been around for a long time just understand the maintence procedures and how to tow ect...

Boat~R~US

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Just read these comments. The engine is solid over 600,000 rotax engines out there since production. The issues with the seals and alignment has some truth to it but the research I found was in 2015-2016 production time along with a boat dealers not properly trained on maintenance or running these engines out of water. Scarab has corrected this with the engine alignment issues, As far as I know of course their's isolated issues. What mike found with the grease carbon seal is amazing and should be a standard item in the production line and maybe in 2019 production line.

The maintenance book gives you a time length of 2 mins max to run these engines with a supply line (garden hose). I would give it 1 min max time to be safe and NEVER run an engine without a water supply. Scarab puts an aftermarket item on their larger HP engines that flushes the inner coolers also along with the exhaust system, Another reason I like a closed loop system for salt water applications. I recommend flushing when in salt water and if you encounter dirty water issues.

I don't clam to be an expert, but I research the hell out of a lot of things lol I like Yamaha and Scarab products. I even own both of their products. It came down to a Scarab boat purchase starting with the engines (Rotax) , technology (BRP) , Hull Scarab. Rotax has improved and dumped money into making these engines work along with their Super Charger improvements in which these use to be a big issues in rebuilding after so many hours. And Rotax engines are used by many other boat builders, Chaparral, Four wins, sea doo, The INR from BRP gives you better control and true neutral positioning. No need for thrust vectors like a Yamaha. The hull is more solid than a Yamaha and less cookie cutter cheaper feel to it. Why $$$ than a Yamaha

I'm not into Yamaha vs Scarab because I can say a lot of good things about a Yamaha like the engine is amazing. The maintenance is very easy and the rapid customer service is way better than Scarab. What would be amazing if these two companies merged, Hopefully I have a clean problem free ownership if not I'll be here bitching asking for help lol.....

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
.... The thought of buying a brand new $40k boat that could sink because of a hose clamp really made me sick to my stomach.
I hate to bear bad news, this is the case with any boat that has a hole under the water line. It is unfortunate that this has occurred too many times on these boats, but beware, hose clamps keep most boats from sinking, and the right one failing will sink the boat. Only bilge alarm and bilge power can assist to detect before it's too late, once a clamp fails (due to corrossion or crappy install, or who knows why else)

Boat plenty, stay safe!

Jpseph296

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Just hit 146 hours and seal is leaking a fairly steady drip almost a stream. Before this never had a drip of water in the boat that wasn’t self inflicted

Boat~R~US

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I hate to bear bad news, this is the case with any boat that has a hole under the water line. It is unfortunate that this has occurred too many times on these boats, but beware, hose clamps keep most boats from sinking, and the right one failing will sink the boat. Only bilge alarm and bilge power can assist to detect before it's too late, once a clamp fails (due to corrossion or crappy install, or who knows why else)

Boat plenty, stay safe!
100% right on first thing you should do is tighten all clamps you can see / reach. Next carry a kit of assorted clamps. This saved my initial ride when I seen a clamp leaking and later to find out it was damaged from install.

After you warm up engines check your coolant and oil levels along with drips. It should just be a routine pre day checkout.

I do wish these boats had a back up bilge pump ...

Boat~R~US

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Just hit 146 hours and seal is leaking a fairly steady drip almost a stream. Before this never had a drip of water in the boat that wasn’t self inflicted
Loose clamps? Replace the clamp?

Jpseph296

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Check the clamps they are all tight I feel some slop in the ring also

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There is a saying in Spanish, not super family friendly...."Deseos no Preñan"... Something like "Wishing alone won't do the deed" but in this case, a hundred bucks and a couple of hours will!

No reason not to install one yourself! The smaller the boat the faster it will sink with the same hole underwater. The smaller the boat, the bigger the pump to keep you afloat with the same hole! and an alarm to boot will alert you there is an issue early on, so you can fix it and not sink.

I cannot recommend this modification enough. Forewarned is forearmed!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have had good luck with two Attwood T1200 pumps. but if I had to do it over, I would pick something with a more standard hose size. I ended up paying same or more on hose than the pump, due to the weird required hose size. The T-800 is smaller, but hose is 3/4 which is much easier to find. I bet adding 2 of those is way cheaper. That 1+1/8 hose was an arm and a leg.

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
100% right on first thing you should do is tighten all clamps you can see / reach. Next carry a kit of assorted clamps. This saved my initial ride when I seen a clamp leaking and later to find out it was damaged from install.

After you warm up engines check your coolant and oil levels along with drips. It should just be a routine pre day checkout.

Just to let you know, it sucks, but I made my own separate emergency bilge pump. I 've got a Seaflo 3700 with 12volt clamp install and long hose in a dry bag. If I have issues I've got a big second battery installed on the boat that I'll run it off of. Coupled with stock bilge I just lower it into the engine compartment and it should be able to move enough water in an emergency to get me to shore.

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
An additional pump is a great investment, but without a float letting you know of a problem, you are missing out on valuable time you could have when an issue pops up.

For a few bucks you can wire a float to buzzer and turn on the pump so you are aware as soon as possible that a problem is occurring. Amazon has bilge floats for as cheap as $8.

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
An additional pump is a great investment, but without a float letting you know of a problem, you are missing out on valuable time you could have when an issue pops up.

For a few bucks you can wire a float to buzzer and turn on the pump so you are aware as soon as possible that a problem is occurring. Amazon has bilge floats for as cheap as $8.
I'm going to do that. How far up the engine bay would you install the new float and warning buzzer?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As low as possible, but above where your bilge pump will clear it. Once the float triggers is built to turn off after the water drops a bit. Mount temporarily by hand is with a weight to test and fill bilge with water from hose. The float should return to position after bilge pump clears the water, and it should remain off, until New water triggers the float again. This will buy you the most time.

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Boom! Ordered it, should be here shortly and I'll have it in the boat in a week. Thanks guys, I never thought of this solution.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not sure about calling it a solution, but it's certainly a great defense tool. It's like a smoke alarm in addition to a fire extinguisher... How good is the extinguisher once the whole place is on fire??? But if you catch it early, you have a fighting chance!!!

jetboy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open ID
Boat Length
Just posted this over on another "carbon seal thread:

Any thoughts?
PXL_20220707_211002458.jpg

I'm going to put it in the water again today to see if that's where water is coming in (bilge pumping 15-20 seconds of warm water)

Just had it in for warranty check before it was up...now go figure, it's taking on water. Sorry for the dual posts. Not sure which is the main "carbon seal" thread, but open to thoughts.

Thanks