• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Joining the Carbon seal fun!

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
I never load the boat onto the trailer under power. I always use ropes to pull it close enough for the winch and have my 8 year old spin the handle until he cant do it anymore then my older one steps in and completed the job.

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
That's always been my approach, but for some reason I deviated from what's been tried and true...I blame the winds

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I always walk my boat onto the trailer with mooring lines.

a4effort

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have not had good luck loading my boat into the trailer...always seems to hit too high and my "tape" separating the 2 colors is all but gone...
When I first got my boat, I would pull it on the trailer with ropes then winch it up to the roller. We use a very busy ramp and I did not want to be part of the disasters we witnessed on a regular basis Now I have no problem driving it on, I just hope I'm not doing it wrong.

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Is there a way to check your motor mounts and alignment on your own? I feel like a ton of this is caused by incremental misalignment. Scary though.

FlyNavy76

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I'm still a little confused about the "not enough water flowing through the pump" issue. If the boat's still in the water, I would think that's not an issue. I'm obviously no expert and new to this new jet boat thing, but a bit confused on why loading on the trailer with the intakes still submerged would have any adverse affect.

I, too, power load as there is a ton of winching involved because I need to keep so much bunks exposed. Otherwise the back end of my boat goes everywhere as it's not seated on the bunks.

Rick215HO

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I'm still a little confused about the "not enough water flowing through the pump" issue. If the boat's still in the water, I would think that's not an issue. I'm obviously no expert and new to this new jet boat thing, but a bit confused on why loading on the trailer with the intakes still submerged would have any adverse affect.

I, too, power load as there is a ton of winching involved because I need to keep so much bunks exposed. Otherwise the back end of my boat goes everywhere as it's not seated on the bunks.
It isn't really about water flowing through the pump, its about water cooling the drive shaft's carbon seal where the shaft enters the hull, that could potentially be a higher point than the pump itself when i.e. loading onto trailer. The manual says that the boat should not be run out of the water for more than a certain time because there is no water to cool the seal. I'm not an expert either, but this is the internet.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Strange....takes me 30 seconds to power load a boat onto the trailer, and it is in the water for half of that time....and I can't imagine the shaft being out of the water....but perhaps your ramps are really steep????

ALAN MANN SR.

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I never power load my boat. always float it on and when I pull it out of the water it self centers its self. Also that is how the first dealer gouged the bow. I have a white bottom and scuff marks look terrible, maybe a black bottom you can't see them. Also some ramps it is illegal to power load because of bottom erosion causing a mound at the end off ramp. also have the bunks completely under water and keep silicon spray on them and once out of water winch the last foot to keep the bow roller from damaging the bow. Power loading damages boat and or trailer.

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Never understood the powering the boat all the way up to the winch. I have seen several people plow into the winch, damaging the trailer and the watercraft.

Speed_Freak_039A

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
There's no way power loading caused your isuse. These things can run on the hose 1-2 minutes to do a oil check with no issue and no water on the seal before it gets hot. You have some other issue going on that caused it.

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I think these issues are caused by shaft alignment, this is why I'm asking if there is a periodic way we can check motor mounts and shaft alignment to head this kind of problem off. My boat sits in a marina with no way out, if the seal gives out and I'm not there, she's sinking.

Rick215HO

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I think these issues are caused by shaft alignment, this is why I'm asking if there is a periodic way we can check motor mounts and shaft alignment to head this kind of problem off. My boat sits in a marina with no way out, if the seal gives out and I'm not there, she's sinking.
I believe the only way to check alignment is removing the jet pump and installing the alignment tool. This is an example of the tool (not sure if it is the actual model for your boat, just an example): http://www.shopsbt.com/jetski/sea-doo-alignment-tool-xp-gt-gtx-xp-spx-explorer.html

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I must say this thread is very useful for putting things in perspective.
That carbon seal is basically a gimbal bearing equivalent, right? It's a tough problem in all boats, one of the main reasons I used to stick with outboards (just rebuild a transom here and there :D and - good to go! lol).

But seriously - and to make you guys feel better - Yamaha's intermediate bearing housing has been a source of A LOT of frustration, too.

--

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've got a pretty badass alignment tool. Way sturdier than some of the trash for sale out there

IMG_0766.JPG

Speed_Freak_039A

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That is nice man, do you have the engine side too?
Engine side? Not sure I follow. That shaft goes all the way to the engine. It's all the way installed in that pic.