• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lake Powell must see spots.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you've ever wanted to know what a houseboat looks like beached on its side ... go to Lake Powell in October.

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I mentioned in a previous post, watch the winds in the afternoon. I’m at Powell now and we had an afternoon wind event today...had 3’-4’ waves INSIDE OF 6’-8’ SWELLS!!! I have been coming here since the mid 80’s and have never seen anything like this.

During this event we saw a fish/ski type boat sink. We rescued the occupants of this boat off of their boat as it sank. Fortunately, my co-captain is a firefighter who at least had training in saving lives (though he has never made a rescue like this before). He pulled the occupants onto our boat as I fought with every bit of my captain-ing ability to hold the boat steady enough against theirs.

Point of my story, if you get caught in something like this, keep your bow up! As hard as it may be, don’t back off your throttle!!! All it takes is one wave swamping your bow to end it. And don’t turn sideways to the wind/waves, they have more than enough power to flip you.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I mentioned in a previous post, watch the winds in the afternoon. I’m at Powell now and we had an afternoon wind event today...had 3’-4’ waves INSIDE OF 6’-8’ SWELLS!!! I have been coming here since the mid 80’s and have never seen anything like this.

During this event we saw a fish/ski type boat sink. We rescued the occupants of this boat off of their boat as it sank. Fortunately, my co-captain is a firefighter who at least had training in saving lives (though he has never made a rescue like this before). He pulled the occupants onto our boat as I fought with every bit of my captain-ing ability to hold the boat steady enough against theirs.

Point of my story, if you get caught in something like this, keep your bow up! As hard as it may be, don’t back off your throttle!!! All it takes is one wave swamping your bow to end it. And don’t turn sideways to the wind/waves, they have more than enough power to flip you.
Wow! Sounds harrowing. The other folks are lucky you were there... I've been fortunate enough not to have experienced anything that bad, or at least not to have been on the water during such an event.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Outside of the "prime" time at Powell, your weather can be hit and miss. Inside of the "prime time" at powell, summer months, afternoons can be hit or miss for weather. It usually picks up for a bit, usually just wind, then dies down. Early AM and just before sun down are the best times to find glass in the bays for surfing and boarding. Otherwise it's tube time.

We are getting ready to drive down there for the week after memorial day. Going to spend a week on PTO to get the boat ready before a week on the water (crazy to think that it takes me that long... I must be doing something wrong).

cbpagent72

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I will see you down there, going down on Thursday for Memorial Day.

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was there last weekend and surprised to see how many Yamahas were on the water considering how little talk of the lake there is here.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was there last weekend and surprised to see how many Yamahas were on the water considering how little talk of the lake there is here.
I am always surprised when I go down there. I give out a bunch of jetboaters.net cards and try to get folks to join the forum. We should do nerf footballs as swag again. 1 football for ever jet pump. Those are the best shock absorbers to put above your clean out plugs in my opinion :).

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll be flying the JB flag this time!

--

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'll be flying the JB flag this time!

--
Mine will be zip tied to my VHF antenna as well! I rock the flag the same way at Rockport (where my boat is slipped for the summer)

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine will be zip tied to my VHF antenna as well! I rock the flag the same way at Rockport (where my boat is slipped for the summer)
Yeah, same here, I just got the black one - thank you, @Island Jay !!

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just wondering about current situation on the LP. We are getting ready for the next week trip there.
Looks like the water level is up enough for Antelope launch ramp to open?
Any special restrictions, shortages, closures, special warnings etc for the next week - that out of towners need to know?

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just wondering about current situation on the LP. We are getting ready for the next week trip there.
Any special restrictions, shortages, closures, special warnings etc for the next week - that out of towners need to know?

APM launch ramp is still 4’ out of the water. The cut is 3’ submerged and the lake it coming up about 1/2’ a day right now. If it warms up, the rise can typically go up to a foot per day.

We are heading down there on Thursday but we will be wahweap and not APM. We will probably go over to APM to get lunch one of the days that we are down there.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

A good place to check is LP Water data: Lake Powell Water Database Shows all ramp closures and current access to various spots on lake. I personally prefer to use Wahweap when Castle Rock cut is open, the cut is 3ft above usable so no problem for a jetboat.

Water level is on the rise so watch for debris in the water. If you plan on fishing, check out Wayne's Words for the weekly report. Looks like a nice week to go, have fun!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A good place to check is LP Water data: Lake Powell Water Database Shows all ramp closures and current access to various spots on lake. I personally prefer to use Wahweap when Castle Rock cut is open, the cut is 3ft above usable so no problem for a jetboat.

Water level is on the rise so watch for debris in the water. If you plan on fishing, check out Wayne's Words for the weekly report. Looks like a nice week to go, have fun!
Yeah, saw that, I was hoping there may be a way of using the ramp at low water. We are staying in Page and planning on pulling the boat out overnight. I guess we may need to slip in Wahweap for few nights.
Thanks all for great info here!

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Had anyone here used the Antelope ramp valet service?
Apparently they have a private ramp that’s good for another 30 feet below the public one.

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have heard of it but not a clue where it is. I haven’t seen it before and I’ve been through the marina countless times.

I wouldn’t worry about using Wahweap or Stateline, not sure they’re any farther from Page than Antelope. Heck, if you’re staying in one of the newer hotels on Highway 89 you’re probably closer to Wahweap than Antelope.

If the main entrance into the park just passed the dam is too busy use the north Wahweap entrance. It’s maybe 2 miles farther down Highway 89 towards Kanab but nobody uses it. Shouldn’t be too busy next week though.

Last edited:

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don’t like Antelope. Maybe a bit of irrational concern but I watch too many YouTube videos of people losing their vehicles at boat ramps 😂. At the end of Antelope ramp is a 400’ deep shear cliff wall. Not recovering a vehicle from the end of that ramp.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From @sysinu's post, it sounds like by the time you get there, you'll have no trouble getting thru the cut from Wahweap up stream if the Antelope ramp is still closed by the time you get there.

I'm excited for you guys and to hear of your LP adventures. Safe travels and ENJOY!

I don’t like Antelope. Maybe a bit of irrational concern but I watch too many YouTube videos of people losing their vehicles at boat ramps 😂. At the end of Antelope ramp is a 400’ deep shear cliff wall. Not recovering a vehicle from the end of that ramp.
Unbuckle and keep the window down... you'll survive and have a cool story to tell... I wonder how many vehicles are at the bottom of that cliff? Not terrifying at all... lol!

Last edited:

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

The weather is warming which means snowmelt above the lake will be accelerating. Be aware of how quickly the water level rises. I’ve seen 15”/day elevation rise there before and it looks like we may see something like that over the next couple weeks. Be conscious about how much of the lake shore the water will be encroaching if it’s coming up that quickly. On flatter beaches like Lone Rock Beach 1 foot vertical rise can bring the waters edge in 100 feet horizontally.

Bothomas

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gosh I really wish I had more time off work I could make a trip down to LP this year!! You guys are making me SUPER jealous! Might need to make a trip even if for just a few days. @J-RAD, last few times there I've been to Lone Rock beach. Want to go father up the lake...where would you recommend launching and looking for beach camping area?